Trump proven right on Iran missile range as Tehran targets US-UK base near Diego Garcia

Iran’s attempted strike exposed a longer reach than previously claimed, raising fresh concerns over hidden capabilities
Analysts said the development reinforced concerns over Iran’s expanding missile capabilities (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)
Analysts said the development reinforced concerns over Iran’s expanding missile capabilities (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)

WASHINGTON, DC: Iran's reported missile launch toward a key US-UK military base has raised more questions about its long-range capabilities. Analysts say this development backs President Donald Trump's earlier warnings about Tehran's missile program.

Missiles were reportedly fired toward Diego Garcia, a strategic base in the Indian Ocean that is about 2,500 miles from Iran. While no confirmed damage has been reported, the distance has drawn attention due to its potential implications.

Iran’s missile range claims face fresh scrutiny after Diego Garcia strike

The Islamic Republic of Iran significantly escalated its war effort against the US with its reported launch of two intermediate-range ballistic missiles toward Diego Garcia, a key US-UK military base in the Indian Ocean.

This image released by the U.S. Navy shows an aerial view of Diego Garcia in the Chagos Island group. (U.S. Navy via AP, File)
An aerial view showed Diego Garcia, a strategic US-UK military base in the Indian Ocean (US Navy via AP, File)

The targeting of Diego Garcia, roughly 2,500 miles from Iran, suggests Tehran’s missile capabilities may have exceeded previously acknowledged limits.

In the period leading up to Operation Epic Fury on February 28, Iran Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi claimed, "We intentionally kept the range of our missiles below 2,000 kilometers so we don’t have that capability.

“And we don’t want to do that because we do not have hostility against the United States people and all Europeans."

He stated at the time that Tehran did not seek extended-range capabilities due to a lack of hostility toward the United States and Europe.

Tehran reacted angrily to the sinking, with Araghchi arguing the strike demonstrated Washington’s willingness to expand the war beyond the Middle East (Screengrab/X/@MarioNawfal)
Araghchi said the incident reflected Washington’s willingness to expand the conflict beyond the Middle East (Screengrab/@MarioNawfal/X)

Israeli officials allege Iran misled on long-range missile capabilities

Israeli officials said the reported launch highlights what they describe as inconsistencies in Iran’s public statements about its missile program.

IDF spokesperson Nadav Shoshani said recent events showed that earlier claims about limited capabilities were inaccurate.

"Just 3 days before the war, the Iranian regime said they don’t obtain long-range missiles. Today, their lies were exposed once again, when missiles were fired 4000km away from Iran. They hoped to lie their way into becoming a force that can terrorize the world. We didn’t buy it."



He added that the reported strike demonstrated an ability to hit targets at extended ranges, contradicting Tehran’s earlier position.

Analysts say Iran strike supports Trump-era missile threat warnings

Analysts said the development supports prior concerns raised by the Trump administration regarding Iran’s missile capabilities.

Jason Brodsky, the policy director of United Against Nuclear Iran (UANI), told Fox News Digital, "The Trump administration, in citing Iran's missile threat as a rationale for Operation Epic Fury, was therefore justified in its decision to undertake military action as Iran has consistently refused to negotiate over its missile program.

Smoke rises after a reported Israeli strike on Tehran police headquarters on June 18, 2025 in Tehran, Iran. Over recent days, Iran has been hit by a series of Israeli airstrikes targeting military and nuclear sites, as well as top military officials, prompting Iran to launch a counterattack (Getty Images)
Smoke rose after a reported Israeli strike targeted police headquarters in Tehran amid escalating tensions (Getty Images)

"It also shows how dangerous it is to solely rely on Iranian nuclear weapons fatwas and the supreme leader’s public rhetoric in formulating US policy. As long as Iran retains the technical capability beyond public pronouncements, it is a threat."

Ilan Berman, vice president of the American Foreign Policy Council in Washington, DC, also said, "The launch hammers home the president’s point about Iran being an imminent threat.”

The reported strike toward Diego Garcia has not been linked to any confirmed damage, but it has drawn attention due to its range and potential implications.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump described the suspect as someone with a 'violent history' and an 'obsession' with the White House
3 hours ago
Mike Johnson expressed optimism about the development, calling it a sign of strong leadership and saying the US is now more secure under Trump
4 hours ago
The fund was unveiled last week after President Trump announced he would withdraw his $10 billion lawsuit against the IRS
4 hours ago
Ted Cruz warned that a deal allowing Tehran access to funds or nuclear development could strengthen a hostile regime
4 hours ago
Former Kamala Harris aides reportedly dismissed a 2028 run, with one adviser calling it 'obviously a bad idea'
4 hours ago
Robert Gevertzman, who died in March 2025 at 75, landed the Democratic ticket for next month’s primaries
5 hours ago
RFK Jr called the move 'sinister', questioning why the agency had not fully released the records despite a 1992 law mandating their disclosure by 2025
5 hours ago
White House shooting drew bipartisan condemnation as officials praised Secret Service response
6 hours ago
Lindsey Graham warned an Iran deal could make Tehran appear stronger if it still threatens Gulf oil infrastructure
7 hours ago
The proposed framework could start fresh negotiations over Iran’s nuclear program
7 hours ago