Trump rejects CBS’ ‘60 Minutes’ interview and demands apology, Internet says ‘the less we see, the better’

Both Trump and Harris had initially agreed to sit down for the interview but now the Republican nominee has pulled out
PUBLISHED OCT 2, 2024
Donald Trump refused to be interviewed on '60 Minutes' without first  receiving an apology (Getty Images)
Donald Trump refused to be interviewed on '60 Minutes' without first receiving an apology (Getty Images)

MILWAUKEE. WISCONSIN: GOP nominee Donald Trump refused to participate in CBS' '60 Minutes' customary primetime election special without getting an apology from the network over his last appearance in 2020, reported the Daily Mail.

He expressed his stance while addressing reporters at a rally in Wisconsin on Tuesday, October 1. Earlier that day, '60 Minutes' shared a press release stating that the former president had decided not to appear on the show scheduled for Monday, October 7.

Referencing his contentious interview at the White House in 2020, where he walked out on his interviewer Leslie Stahl, Trump said, "First I want to get an apology. They said the laptop from hell was from Russia. I said it wasn’t from Russia, it was from Hunter (Biden)... They really owed me an apology."



 

'60 Minutes' releases statement announcing Donald Trump declined election special

In a Programming Note shared by the show, '60 Minutes' noted that they have been inviting major party nominees for an interview ahead of the general election over the last half-century. This year, it was scheduled for October 7 at 8 pm.

Both Donald Trump and his Democratic rival, Vice President Kamala Harris, had initially agreed to sit down for the interview with Scott Pelley and Bill Whitaker, respectively. However, the show was intimated by the Trump campaign that the businessman would not be participating.

Harris' interview will take place as planned, while Pelley will address the audience by himself.

"Our original invitation to former President Donald Trump to be interviewed on 60 Minutes stands," they added in conclusion.



 

According to Politico, Trump spokesperson Steven Cheung also released a statement noting, "There were initial discussions, but nothing was ever scheduled or locked in.”

It also revealed that CBS “insisted on doing live fact-checking, which is unprecedented".

Republican presidential nominee, former U.S. President Donald Trump gives a thumbs up as he arrives for a campaign rally at the Mosack Group warehouse on September 25, 2024 in Mint Hill, North Carolina. Trump continues to campaign in battleground swing states ahead of the November 5 presidential election. (Photo by Brandon Bell/Getty Images)
Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump is waiting for an apology from CBS News for his contentious interview in 2020 with Leslie Stahl (Brandon Bell/Getty Images)

Internet trolls Donald Trump for backing out of interview

Netizens reacting to the news on the social media platform X trolled Donald Trump from pulling out of a customary interview ahead of the general election. The following tweets demonstrate their takes.

"Trump’s campaign clearly believes that the less people see of Trump, the better," expressed political commentator Dan Pfeiffer.



 

"The less we see AND hear, the better," backed another user.



 

"60 Minutes does fact-checking. That's a non-starter," quipped a third.



 

"He can't handle an interview where he can't just be allowed to say whatever he wants and wave his hands around," jibed a fourth.



 

"Half a century tradition. Gone. Trump is so so so scared," wrote a fifth.



 

"How do you spell Trump? C-O-W-A-R-D," mocked a sixth user.



 

Another user shared a Trump meme, with the caption, "Trump, the closer we get to November."



 

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Karoline Leavitt said the stalemate had left FEMA, TSA, and Coast Guard workers unpaid and urged lawmakers to present a plan to restore funding
1 hour ago
Several senators and House members plan to skip the address and instead attend a 'People’s State of the Union' rally on the National Mall
1 hour ago
House Democratic leader blasts GOP for backing ‘uncontrolled’ agency over FEMA, TSA
2 hours ago
Les Wexner testified that once he learned of both the investigation and missing funds, he severed contact and never spoke to Epstein again
3 hours ago
Lara Trump said years of campaigning had made politics feel accessible to several relatives, expanding the family's ambition
3 hours ago
Lawmaker demands special prosecutor and full transparency after UN report
4 hours ago
Coalition challenges repeal of greenhouse gas authority and vehicle emissions rules
4 hours ago
The investigation follows earlier fraud findings and growing debt from pandemic jobless aid
5 hours ago
Trump monitors global rules as Lara Trump urges limits on children's screen time
7 hours ago
Maryland Gov Wes Moore responded, noting the spill is 'basically contained' and urging the WH to approve federal funding for flood recovery instead
14 hours ago