Trump revokes Kamala Harris' security protection extended by Biden, Internet says she can pay it herself

Trump revokes Kamala Harris' security protection extended by Biden, Internet says she can pay it herself
Kamala Harris lost her extended Secret Service protection after President Donald Trump revoked Joe Biden’s directive (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON DC: President Donald Trump revoked former Vice President Kamala Harris’ Secret Service protection on Thursday, according to multiple reports.

Harris had received protection beyond the usual six months for former vice presidents, but that extended order has now been canceled by Trump.

Trump revokes undisclosed extension signed by Joe Biden

Federal law grants former presidents lifetime protection and former vice presidents six months of coverage after leaving office.

Harris’ six-month period ended July 21, 2025, but CNN reported that her protection had been extended by then-President Joe Biden in a directive signed before he left office.

WASHINGTON, DC - AUGUST 27: Democratic Vice Presidential nominee Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA.), deliver
Former Democratic Vice President Kamala Harris’ extended six-month security period ended July 21 (Getty Images)

The extension, which was not made public until now, gave Harris an additional year of protection. Trump revoked that order in a letter titled “Memorandum for the Secretary of Homeland Security,” dated Thursday.

“You are hereby authorized to discontinue any security-related procedures previously authorized by Executive Memorandum, beyond those required by law, for the following individual, effective September 1, 2025: Former Vice President Kamala D. Harris,” the letter reads in full.

A spokesperson for Harris confirmed to Fox News that Trump had revoked her protection, adding that no reason was given. A senior White House official also said vice presidents typically only receive six months of Secret Service coverage after departing office.

WASHINGTON, DC - MAY 30: U.S. President Donald Trump, joined by Tesla CEO Elon Musk, speaks to reporters in the Oval Office of the White House on May 30, 2025 in Washington, DC. Musk, who served as an adviser to Trump and led the Department of Government Efficiency, announced he would leave the Trump administration to refocus on his businesses. (Photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump, joined by Tesla CEO Elon Musk, speaks to reporters in the Oval Office of the White House on May 30, 2025 in Washington, DC (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)

Kamala Harris expresses gratitude to Secret Service

Harris was informed of the decision on the same day. The move comes as she prepares to launch a book tour for her upcoming release '107 Days' on September 23, and which is about her presidential campaign. 

“The Vice President is grateful to the United States Secret Service for their professionalism, dedication, and unwavering commitment to safety,” senior adviser Kirsten Allen told the station.

APRIL 30: Former U.S. Vice President Kamala Harris delivers a keynote address during the Emerge 20th Anniversary Gala at the Palace Hotel on April 30, 2025 in San Francisco, California. Kamala Harris delivered her first public speech since leaving office in January. (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)
Former Vice President Kamala Harris delivers a keynote address during the Emerge 20th Anniversary Gala at the Palace Hotel on April 30, 2025 in San Francisco, California (Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)

Report noted that Harris had particular security concerns as the first woman and first Black woman to serve as vice president, and those concerns only grew after she became a nominee.

Meanwhile, California Governor Gavin Newsom was briefed on Harris’ loss of protection late Thursday. His spokesperson Bob Salladay told the outlet, “The safety of our public officials should never be subject to erratic, vindictive political impulses.”

SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA - APRIL 06: California Gov. Gavin Newsom speaks during a news conference a
 California Gov Gavin Newsom speaks during a news conference after touring the vaccination clinic at City College of San Francisco on April 06, 2021 in San Francisco, California. (Justin Sullivan/Getty Images) 

Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass also reacted, saying, “This is another act of revenge following a long list of political retaliation in the form of firings, the revoking of security clearances and more. This puts the former Vice President in danger and I look forward to working with the Governor to make sure Vice President Harris is safe in Los Angeles.”

Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass attends the 2024 Ebony Power 100 List at Nya Studios on November 17, 2024 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Rodin Eckenroth/Getty Images)
Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass attends the 2024 Ebony Power 100 List at Nya Studios on November 17, 2024 in Los Angeles, California (Rodin Eckenroth/Getty Images)

As a resident of Los Angeles, Harris could also receive security support from local police.

Internet reacts to Kamala Harris losing security protection

Internet reactions quickly followed the announcement, with many Trump supporters suggesting that extension was not needed.

"Good. She doesn’t deserve special treatment on the taxpayers dime,” one user wrote on X.

“Bruh, that's some petty MAGA shenanigans right there,” another posted.



 

 



 

“Excellent, need to save some money. She can pay for this herself if needed,” one more wrote.



 

One said, “She can afford her own security." "Yes I'm not interested in paying the security tab for her book tour,” wrote a Trump supporter.



 

 



 

Another comment read, “VPs don’t get Secret Service protection after they leave office. So Trump canceled what she shouldn’t have had to begin with.”

"Heels up Harris wanted free taxpayer security for her word book tour to play the race card," wrote another 



 

 



 

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online

Share this article:  Trump revokes Kamala Harris' security protection extended by Biden, Internet says she can pay it herself