Trump says US ‘blew Iran off map’ weeks ahead of schedule, slams ‘lightweight’ David Sanger

Donald Trump criticized David E Sanger after The New York Times report said his Iran war messaging was inconsistent and many goals remained unmet
Donald Trump warned Iran to reopen the Strait of Hormuz within 48 hours or face US strikes on power plants, escalating tensions (Brendan Smialowski/Getty Images for Meet the Press, AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
Donald Trump warned Iran to reopen the Strait of Hormuz within 48 hours or face US strikes on power plants, escalating tensions (Brendan Smialowski/Getty Images for Meet the Press, AP Photo/Alex Brandon)


WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump recently shared an update on the Iran conflict. In a post on his social media account, he said the United States has achieved its goals against Iran. He also praised the results of ongoing military actions in the region.

He stated that he is "weeks" ahead of schedule in the Iran war. He also slammed Iran’s leadership and said that the country’s air defense system has already been lost. He claimed Iran had been “blown off the map” and also criticized journalist David E Sanger, calling him a "lightweight analyst."

Trump also issued a strong warning to Iran, saying the US is ready to carry out more strikes if needed. The US-Israel war has now entered its fourth week, with the first missile strike taking place on February 28.

President Donald Trump speaks during the Commander-in-Chief's Trophy presentation with the Navy Midshipmen football team in the East Room of the White House, Friday, March 20, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
President Donald Trump speaks during the Commander-in-Chief's Trophy presentation with the Navy Midshipmen football team in the East Room of the White House, Friday, March 20, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

Trump claims Iran war success, slams media coverage

As the Iran conflict intensifies, Trump has doubled down on his stance, claiming major success in the ongoing military campaign. His remarks come as the war enters its fourth week, with tensions still high across the region.

Posting on Truth Social on Sunday, March 22, Trump strongly defended his strategy and pushed back against criticism from media analysts. He wrote, “The United States has blown Iran off of the map, and yet their lightweight analyst, David Sanger, says that I haven’t met my own goals.”

Trump’s targeting of Sanger came after the journalist questioned his claims about the war slowing down. In the New York Times, Sanger wrote that Trump’s “messaging is inconsistent” and said “many of his war goals remain unaccomplished.”

Continuing his statement, he added, “Yes, I have, and weeks ahead of schedule! Their leadership is gone, their navy and air force are dead, they have absolutely no defense, and they want to make a deal. I don’t! We are weeks ahead of schedule. Just like their incompetent Election coverage of me, The Failing New York Times always gets it wrong!”

Trump criticized Sanger and the New York Times, accusing them of inaccurate reporting. He said their coverage fails to capture what he described as swift progress in the conflict. The president added that such reports have “always” been wrong.

His comments highlight his continued criticism of mainstream coverage while reinforcing his claim that US operations against Iran are moving faster than expected and achieving their intended goals.

Trump issues 48-hour Strait of Hormuz warning

People watch as smoke rises on the skyline after an explosion in Tehran, Iran, Saturday, Feb. 28, 2026 (AP Photo)
People watch as smoke rises on the skyline after an explosion in Tehran, Iran, Saturday, Feb 28, 2026 (AP Photo)

Apart from this post, Trump recently shared another message on Truth Social, where he issued a strong warning to Iran. He called on the country to reopen the Strait of Hormuz and signaled serious consequences if it fails to act.

Trump delivered a clear ultimatum, saying the US would strike Iran’s power infrastructure if the key waterway is not reopened within 48 hours. The Strait of Hormuz is a vital route for global oil supply, making the situation even more critical.

He wrote, “If Iran doesn’t FULLY OPEN, WITHOUT THREAT, the Strait of Hormuz, within 48 HOURS from this exact point in time, the United States of America will hit and obliterate their various POWER PLANTS, STARTING WITH THE BIGGEST ONE FIRST!”

The statement reflects a sharp rise in tensions, with Trump using strong language to underline his position. Trump added, “Thank you for your attention to this matter,” signing the message “President DONALD J TRUMP.”

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump questions Republicans over Senate parliamentarian Elizabeth MacDonough’s role retention
18 minutes ago
Former Capitol defenders say ‘anti-weaponization’ fund is unconstitutional, Jan 6 risk
31 minutes ago
Iran vows expanded conflict as talks stall over Hormuz, US troop pullout, IRGC warns
50 minutes ago
Administration flags foreign embassy and consulate IDs as potential risks to US banking system
1 hour ago
Patty Murray accused Sean Duffy of self-promotion over addressing Americans’ financial strain, calling his actions 'out of touch'
8 hours ago
The results highlight the continued importance of Trump’s endorsement in shaping GOP primary outcomes
9 hours ago
Taking to X after the race was called, the California Democrat blasted what he described as attacks on Massie and argued the libertarian-minded Republican was punished for taking on powerful interests
10 hours ago
The bipartisan praise highlighted how Massie’s brand of anti-establishment politics has attracted support beyond traditional Republican circles
11 hours ago
Appearing on Hannity, Gallrein recounted a conversation he said changed the course of his campaign
11 hours ago
In a lengthy post on X after the results, Marjorie Taylor Greene hailed Thomas Massie as 'a giant among weak pathetic men'
11 hours ago