US deploys thousands more troops to war as Iran threatens global tourism sites

The US deployed 3 warships and 2,500 Marines to the Middle East, signaling a growing military buildup amid a prolonged Iran conflict
The United States deployed thousands of additional troops to the Middle East as tensions with Iran escalated, raising concerns about a broader conflict (X/@sentdefender)
The United States deployed thousands of additional troops to the Middle East as tensions with Iran escalated, raising concerns about a broader conflict (X/@sentdefender)

WASHINGTON, DC: The United States is deploying additional forces to the Middle East as tensions with Iran continue to escalate, with officials warning of a widening conflict. The move comes as Iran issues new threats targeting tourist and recreational sites worldwide.

On one of the holiest days on the Islamic calendar, Iran fired on Israel and energy sites in neighboring Gulf Arab states, insisting that it can still build missiles and issuing a new threat to deny safety to its enemies in “parks, recreational areas, and tourist destinations” worldwide.

Military buildup continues amid rising tensions

US officials said the additional deployment includes a Marine Expeditionary Unit supported by naval assets, reflecting a broader effort to reinforce forces in the region.

This image from video provided by US Central Command shows a missile being launched from a US Navy ship in support of Operation Epic Fury on Saturday, Feb. 28, 2026. (U.S. Central Command via AP)
This image from video provided by US Central Command shows a missile being launched from a US Navy ship in support of Operation Epic Fury on Saturday, Feb. 28, 2026. (US Central Command via AP)

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel will stop attacking the gas field that Iranians depend on for most of their electricity at the request of US President Donald Trump.

Iran responded to Israel’s attack on the field by intensifying targeting of energy infrastructure in other Middle East countries, sending oil and gas prices soaring.

Ukraine is using its drone expertise to help Middle East countries against Iran

Ukrainian officials are helping five Middle Eastern and Gulf countries counter attacks by Iranian drones, while the United States and European countries have requested support, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Friday.

“Our teams are already working with five countries on countering (Iran’s) ‘Shahed’ drones — we have provided expert assessments and are helping build a defense system,” Zelenskyy said on X.

PORTSMOUTH, ENGLAND - MARCH 4: HMS Dragon is seen in the docks at HMNB Portsmouth on March 4, 2026 in Portsmouth, England. Following a drone strike on RAF Akrotiri, the UK Prime Minister has deployed the Type 45 air-defence Destroyer HMS Dragon to Cyprus supported by Wildcat helicopters to bolster regional air defences in the Eastern Mediterranean. (Photo by Peter Nicholls/Getty Images)
Authorities in multiple countries are monitoring the situation closely, with some governments reviewing travel advisories and security protocols (Photo by Peter Nicholls/Getty Images)

Thousands of sailors and Marines are going to a war zone

Just a few days ago, the US military moved another group of amphibious assault ships with Marines from the Pacific to the Middle East.

Last week, US officials also said that the USS Tripoli and the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit, which are based in Japan, have been ordered to the Middle East.

They will be moving from exercises near Taiwan. People could see the USS Tripoli and the USS New Orleans, another amphibious assault ship, sailing west of Malaysia on publicly available satellite images earlier this week.

(x/@CENTCOM)
Military activity has continued across the region, including airstrikes on Iranian targets and retaliatory actions affecting energy facilities and infrastructure (x/@CENTCOM)

The two Marine Expeditionary Units will bring about 5,000 Marines and thousands of sailors to the area where the US is engaged.

Iran’s military’s warning

Iran’s military warns ‘parks, recreational areas and tourist destinations’ worldwide won’t be safe for enemies.

Iran’s top military spokesman warned Friday that “parks, recreational areas and tourist destinations” worldwide won’t be safe for Tehran’s enemies.

Gen Abolfazl Shekarchi made the threat as Iran continues to be hit by American and Israeli airstrikes.



It renews a concern held by analysts as the war goes on that Iran could revert to using militant attacks beyond the Middle East as a pressure tactic in the war.

“From now on, based on the information we have about you, even parks, recreational areas and tourist destinations anywhere in the world will no longer be safe for you,” Shekarchi said in a statement published online by Iranian state television.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump described the suspect as someone with a 'violent history' and an 'obsession' with the White House
3 hours ago
Mike Johnson expressed optimism about the development, calling it a sign of strong leadership and saying the US is now more secure under Trump
4 hours ago
The fund was unveiled last week after President Trump announced he would withdraw his $10 billion lawsuit against the IRS
4 hours ago
Ted Cruz warned that a deal allowing Tehran access to funds or nuclear development could strengthen a hostile regime
4 hours ago
Former Kamala Harris aides reportedly dismissed a 2028 run, with one adviser calling it 'obviously a bad idea'
4 hours ago
Robert Gevertzman, who died in March 2025 at 75, landed the Democratic ticket for next month’s primaries
5 hours ago
RFK Jr called the move 'sinister', questioning why the agency had not fully released the records despite a 1992 law mandating their disclosure by 2025
5 hours ago
White House shooting drew bipartisan condemnation as officials praised Secret Service response
5 hours ago
Lindsey Graham warned an Iran deal could make Tehran appear stronger if it still threatens Gulf oil infrastructure
7 hours ago
The proposed framework could start fresh negotiations over Iran’s nuclear program
7 hours ago