Trump sends armada to Iran as US deports nationals to brutal regime

The President deploys warships to watch Tehran’s deadly crackdown on protesters while simultaneously expelling 40 Iranians back to the ‘sick’ leadership.
PUBLISHED JAN 23, 2026
Activists put the death toll at over 5,000 as the USS Abraham Lincoln heads to the region (US Navy)
Activists put the death toll at over 5,000 as the USS Abraham Lincoln heads to the region (US Navy)


WASHINGTON, DC: The Trump administration is pursuing two sharply divergent tracks on Iran, escalating military pressure on Tehran while preparing to deport at least 40 Iranian nationals. As Donald Trump announced from Air Force One that US warships are heading to the Middle East in response to Iran’s violent crackdown on protests, immigration authorities are finalizing a flight to return asylum seekers to the same regime. 

The developments come as rights groups report that thousands have been killed during weeks of anti-government demonstrations in Iran. Trump has described Iran’s leadership as “sick” and told protesters that “help is on its way.” At the same time, ICE is preparing to deport dozens of Iranians, including individuals with pending protection claims, back to Tehran as early as Sunday. 

Gay men fear execution upon return

(@stephenehorn/X)
Lawyer Bekah Wolf says her clients are 'terrified' to return to a country where homosexuality is punishable by death (@stephenehorn/X)

The deportation flight, set to depart from Arizona, has raised alarm among detainees and their attorneys. Bekah Wolf of the American Immigration Council noted that two of those slated for removal are gay Iranian men who fled the country four years ago after arrests by morality police. 

“They’re terrified,” Wolf said. Homosexuality remains illegal in Iran and can carry the death penalty. Two gay men were executed there in 2022.

Wolf said both men entered the United States in early 2025 seeking asylum but “did not have full hearings in any meaningful way.” She added that one client repeatedly calls her, pleading for help.

The flight also includes a long-term US resident with citizen children. A relative said the sudden detention has “completely destroyed” the family. “The question I have is how our president is concerned about protesters in Iran but is doing this to people and families here,” the relative said.

Armada deployed to monitor volatile region



While ICE prepares the deportation, the US military is increasing its presence in the Persian Gulf. Speaking after returning from the World Economic Forum in Davos, Trump said an American “armada” is heading toward the region.

“We have a lot of ships going that direction, just in case,” Trump said. “Maybe we won’t have to use it.”

The deployment includes the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln and several guided-missile destroyers, with additional air defense systems being positioned at US and Israeli facilities. Britain has also agreed to send RAF Eurofighter Typhoon jets to Qatar.

The buildup comes after warnings from Iranian military officials, including Khatam-al Anbiya Central Headquarters chief Ali Abdollahi Aliabadi, who said any strike would make US bases “legitimate targets.”

Death toll rises amid brutal crackdown

Escalating casualty reports drive the military response. The US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency reported Friday that at least 5,002 people have been killed since protests began on December 28, including 4,716 demonstrators and 43 children.

At an emergency session of the UN Human Rights Council, Commissioner Volker Türk cited video evidence showing bodies in morgues with fatal head and chest wounds. He condemned Iran’s “contradictory statements” on executions, calling the situation a “chilling development” in a country that reportedly carried out at least 1,500 executions last year.

UN Special Rapporteur Mai Sato said she has received “countless videos” of security forces firing on crowds. “Lethal force can only be used as a last resort,” she said. 

Sanctions credited for regime’s economic collapse



US officials have linked the unrest to economic pressure. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, speaking in Davos, attributed the protests to the collapse of Iran’s economy under sanctions.

“This is economic statecraft, no shots fired,” Bessent said, pointing to a dollar shortage, the failure of a major bank, and emergency money printing by Iran’s central bank as evidence that “maximum economic sanctions” are working.

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has blamed “a conspiracy by those who wish Iran ill will” for turning demonstrations into what he called a “bloody and violent battle.” As Washington considers its next steps, the administration continues to apply military pressure abroad while proceeding with deportations at home. 

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump says nations pledge funds, personnel to end Gaza conflict
1 day ago
'We're dealing with people who make political, geopolitical decisions on the basis of pure theology, and it's a complicated thing', Rubio said
1 day ago
Lindsey Graham's remarks on Greenland ownership clashed with concerns inside the party about sovereignty, NATO unity, and long-term Arctic strategy
2 days ago
The secretary of state rejects “managed decline” and urges stronger domestic defenses
2 days ago
Ukraine urges US action as Trump sets summer deadline for peace
3 days ago
USS Gerald R Ford rerouted to join USS Abraham Lincoln strike group amid tensions
3 days ago
Gavin Newsom and AOC told European allies that current US policy shifts did not represent a permanent break with transatlantic commitments
3 days ago
Rubio says world in ‘new era’ as Munich talks focus on NATO strains, Ukraine and Iran tensions
3 days ago
Trump says he will keep seeking a deal with Iran despite Israeli government skepticism
5 days ago
Macron urges EU to reform and resist US pressure after the ‘Greenland moment’
6 days ago