Trump tells Starmer aircraft carriers not needed, accuses him of joining war US ‘already won’

Trump criticizes the UK’s delayed military response in the Middle East, saying Washington had already secured victory before London considered deploying forces
Donald Trump spoke during a public appearance as tensions escalated between the US, Iran and allied nations (Getty Images)
Donald Trump spoke during a public appearance as tensions escalated between the US, Iran and allied nations (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump criticized UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer over Britain’s possible decision to deploy aircraft carriers to the Middle East during tensions involving Iran.

The United States and Israel launched a joint military operation against Iran on February 28, targeting key military and political establishments across the country. In retaliation, Iran launched drone and missile attacks targeting US and UK military bases, escalating tensions across the region.



Trump criticizes Keir Starmer over aircraft carrier deployment

Trump publicly criticized Starmer in a post on Truth Social after reports that the UK was considering sending two aircraft carriers to the Middle East.

Trump wrote that the UK, which he described as a “once Great Ally, maybe the Greatest of them all,” was “finally giving serious thought to sending two aircraft carriers to the Middle East.” He added, “That’s OK, Prime Minister Starmer, we don’t need them any longer — But we will remember. We don’t need people that join Wars after we’ve already won!”

Trump’s remarks came after the UK Ministry of Defense said one of Britain’s two aircraft carriers had been placed on advanced readiness in Portsmouth, England, for possible mobilization to the Middle East. 

PORTSMOUTH, ENGLAND - MARCH 4: HMS Dragon is seen in the docks at HMNB Portsmouth on March 4, 2026 in Portsmouth, England. Following a drone strike on RAF Akrotiri, the UK Prime Minister has deployed the Type 45 air-defence Destroyer HMS Dragon to Cyprus supported by Wildcat helicopters to bolster regional air defences in the Eastern Mediterranean. (Photo by Peter Nicholls/Getty Images)
HMS Dragon was seen docked at HMNB Portsmouth on March 4, 2026, in Portsmouth, England (Peter Nicholls/Getty Images)

A British destroyer, HMS Dragon, was also waiting in Portsmouth and preparing to leave for Cyprus after delays. Trump later told the Telegraph that he was “very disappointed” in Starmer and claimed the prime minister took “far too long” to approve the use of British bases by the US during operations in the region.

Former British Prime Minister Liz Truss reposted Trump’s Truth Social comments on X and described them as “justified and damning.” 

BIRMINGHAM, ENGLAND - JANUARY 04: Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer views a hydrogen powered bus during
Keir Starmer toured Tyseley Energy Park after delivering a keynote speech in Birmingham, England, on January 4, 2022 (Christopher Furlong/Getty Images) 

Starmer outlines UK’s defensive role in the region

Starmer said that although the UK was not involved in the strikes against Iran, it was “operating defensively in the region.”

In a message to the British public, he condemned what he described as “indiscriminate” Iranian attacks following US strikes and stated that “the only way to stop the threat is to destroy the missiles at source.”

The prime minister said Britain had agreed to the US’ request to use British bases for a limited purpose related to operations in the region. According to its Ministry of Defense, British fighter jets were flying over Jordan, Cyprus and Qatar to strengthen regional defense, and a Merlin helicopter was being deployed for additional airborne surveillance.

People watch as smoke rises on the skyline after an explosion in Tehran, Iran, Saturday, Feb. 28, 2026 (AP Photo)
Smoke rose over the skyline after an explosion in Tehran, Iran, on February 28, 2026 (AP Photo)

Starmer also emphasized that his government was focused on calm and responsible leadership. He said the situation required deploying military and diplomatic strength to protect British people while remaining committed to national values and principles.

He added that the UK’s longstanding position is that the best solution is a negotiated settlement with Iran in which the country gives up its nuclear ambitions.

Starmer also confirmed that the UK chose not to join the initial coordinated strikes carried out by the US and Israel. Speaking in Parliament, he said the UK had learned lessons from the Iraq war and insisted that any British action must have a lawful basis and a well-considered plan, adding that his government does not believe in “regime change from the skies.”

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Michael Wolff said Melania Trump had abandoned the traditional first lady role after making just 38 public appearances through July
2 hours ago
'She sacrificed, she didn't even sleep, she didn't even eat, and she got to one of the highest positions in the country', Amy Robbins said about Harp
3 hours ago
The lawsuit alleged TikTok let children under 13 create accounts without parental consent, collected their data, and failed to honor deletion requests
3 hours ago
In a letter, Natalie Harp told Trump, 'You are all that matters to me', then pushed back on her 'human printer' label
4 hours ago
Rashida Tlaib’s latest financial disclosure lists crypto-linked funds in her retirement accounts as Congress prepares for another digital-assets push
4 hours ago
Dan Driscoll has pushed the Army to improve living conditions for troops and modernize its equipment
5 hours ago
Mace's latest post targeting Omar comes after her push for a constitutional amendment on who can serve in Congress
5 hours ago
The decision comes days after a federal court issued a preliminary injunction blocking Trump’s 2026 executive order restricting mail voting
7 hours ago
A recovered archive showed Natalie Harp repeatedly defending Trump's election claims and praising his allies during the January 6 Capitol attack
7 hours ago
The administration said the ballroom was part of a larger complex that included an underground military facility protecting Trump and senior officials
8 hours ago