Trump’s one-word tease after Venezuela upsets USA in WBC Final reignites his 51st state quip

Venezuela’s win against the US in the WBC final came more than two months after Trump ordered a military operation in the country.
President Donald Trump offered a one-word reaction to Venezuela edging out the US 3-2 in WBC final   (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
President Donald Trump offered a one-word reaction to Venezuela edging out the US 3-2 in WBC final (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

WASHINGTON, DC: After Venezuela edged out the United States 3-2 in the World Baseball Classic final in Miami, President Donald Trump offered a one-word reaction in full caps.

Shortly after the final out, Trump posted on Truth Social, “STATEHOOD!!! President DJT.”

Venezuela gets the win, Trump floats “statehood” again

Venezuela built a 2-0 lead before the U.S. clawed back in the eighth inning, when Bryce Harper launched a game-tying two-run homer. But that momentum didn’t last long. In the top of the ninth, Eugenio Suárez ripped an RBI double to push Venezuela ahead 3-2, a lead they wouldn’t give back.

Closer Daniel Palencia then shut the door with a clean 1-2-3 inning, sealing Venezuela’s first-ever World Baseball Classic title.

Venezuela’s win came barely two and a half months after Trump ordered a military operation that led to the capture of Venezuelan president Nicolás Maduro and First Lady Cilia Flores.

CARACAS, VENEZUELA - JANUARY 10: President of Venezuela Nicolas Maduro and his wife Cilia Flores hold hands and pose for photos after the swear-in ceremony at Palacio Federal Legislativo on January 10, 2025 in Caracas, Venezuela. Nicolas Maduro takes oath as president of Venezuela for a third consecutive term amidst tension in the country and a day after the opposition leader Maria Corina Machado was intercepted by governmental forces after taking part in an anti-government rally. Maduro claims to have won the election while the opposition leader Edmundo Gonzalez affirms he has won and, consequently, he is the legitimate president of Venezuela. (Photo by Jesus Vargas/Getty Images)
President of Venezuela Nicolas Maduro and his wife Cilia Flores hold hands and pose for photos after the swearing-in ceremony at Palacio Federal Legislativo on January 10, 2025, in Caracas, Venezuela (Photo by Jesus Vargas/Getty Images)

It's worth noting that Trump’s postgame remark wasn’t exactly out of the blue.

A day earlier, after Venezuela beat Italy in the semifinal, he had already floated the idea of Venezuela becoming part of the United States.

“Wow! Venezuela defeated Italy tonight, 4-2, in the WBC (Baseball!) Semifinal,” he wrote. “They are looking really great. Good things are happening to Venezuela lately! I wonder what this magic is all about? STATEHOOD, #51, ANYONE? President DONALD J. TRUMP.”

US cements grip on Venezuelan oil

Maduro and Flores are currently facing federal drug trafficking charges in Manhattan and have pleaded not guilty. In their absence, Vice President Delcy Rodríguez assumed power and has since taken a notably cooperative stance with Washington.

“We’re gonna take back the oil,” Trump said after Maduro’s capture. He added that “very large United States oil companies” will “go in” and “spend billions of dollars,” promising, “We’re gonna be taking out a tremendous amount of wealth out of the ground.”

Shortly after the raid, he also boasted the U.S. would “keep” Venezuela’s oil. A January report said proceeds from Venezuelan oil sales (valued at $500 million) were being funneled into U.S.-controlled bank accounts in Qatar.



Still, relations between the two countries appear to be warming, at least on paper. Diplomatic ties have been restored, the U.S. has reopened its embassy in Caracas for the first time in seven years, and Washington has formally recognized Rodríguez as Venezuela’s head of state.

Rodríguez, who initially blasted Maduro’s capture as a “kidnapping,” has since aligned with U.S. demands. Trump had warned that any uncooperative leader could face a fate “worse than Maduro's."

Since taking power, she has signed off on supplying 50 million barrels of crude to the U.S., opened Venezuela’s vast oil reserves (estimated at 303–304 billion barrels) to private companies, and overseen the release of hundreds of political prisoners.

CARACAS, VENEZUELA - JANUARY 15: Venezuela's interim president Delcy Rodríguez looks on during the delivery of the first year's government report at Palacio Federal Legislativo on January 15, 2026 in Caracas, Venezuela. Delcy Rodriguez delivers a report of the economic, social, and political aspects and situation in Venezuela during 2025. Nicolas Maduro was sworn in as President of Venezuela for a third consecutive term in January 2025. US forces captured Maduro and his wife, Ciliia Flores, on January 3, 2026. (Photo by Jesus Vargas/Getty Images)
Venezuela's interim president Delcy Rodríguez looks on during the delivery of the first year's government report at Palacio Federal Legislativo on January 15, 2026, in Caracas, Venezuela (Photo by Jesus Vargas/Getty Images)

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said at the Economic Club of Minnesota in January that his department “will oversee the accounts” and “then, at the president’s direction [and] Secretary Rubio’s direction… be in charge of the disbursement that goes back into Venezuela.”

RELATED TOPICS US VENEZUELA GEOPOLITICAL CRISIS

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

JD Vance served in the US Marine Corps from 2003 to 2007 as a combat correspondent with the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing
4 hours ago
Preston Harp said Natalie Harp’s admiration for Donald Trump stems from their upbringing and the values their mother taught them
6 hours ago
Loomer’s strongest objection was directed at the suggestion that Harp and Trump are romantically involved
11 hours ago
The suspect was also reportedly refused service at a Dunkin’ while wearing the unusual mask
12 hours ago
English acknowledged that he had traveled to Washington with the intention of killing a government official
13 hours ago
Zimmerman rejected the suggestion that the blow happened merely as part of a struggle with security
14 hours ago
The store, described as a family-owned operation, was left dealing with the consequences after the crowd departed
16 hours ago
Disney has sued the FCC over early ABC license reviews, alleging retaliation by the Trump administration and warning that scrutiny is affecting political programming
16 hours ago
An 11-year-old boy criticized Donald Trump and referenced Jeffrey Epstein as he explained his anger toward the president in the widely shared footage
23 hours ago
'Hes with me every day even when I’m not thinking about him, he’s certainly part of my heart,' Jill Biden shared
23 hours ago