Venezuela’s military endorses Delcy Rodriguez as acting president following Nicolas Maduro’s capture

Defense Minister Padrino Lopez backs Supreme Court decision appointing Delcy Rodriguez as acting president for 90 days.
PUBLISHED JAN 5, 2026
Delcy Rodriguez, vice president since 2018 under Nicolas Maduro, ordered to assume interim presidency (Screengrab/@realDonaldTrump/Truth Social, Getty Images)
Delcy Rodriguez, vice president since 2018 under Nicolas Maduro, ordered to assume interim presidency (Screengrab/@realDonaldTrump/Truth Social, Getty Images)

CARACAS, VENEZUELA: Venezuela’s military has formally recognized Vice President Delcy Rodriguez as the country’s acting leader after President Nicolas Maduro was removed from Caracas by US forces.

A ruling by Venezuela’s Supreme Court appointed Delcy Rodriguez as interim president, and the defense minister publicly backed that decision. In a televised speech, Rodriguez condemned the US military action and addressed Venezuela’s political future in the wake of Maduro’s capture.

NEW YORK, NY - SEPTEMBER 27: Vice President of Venezuela Delcy Rodriguez holds up a document about U.S. sanctions on Venezuela as she addresses the United Nations General Assembly at UN headquarters on September 27, 2019 in New York City. World leaders from across the globe are gathered at the 74th session of the UN General Assembly, amid crises ranging from climate change to possible conflict between Iran and the United States. (Photo by Drew Angerer/Getty Images)
Delcy Rodriguez holds up a document about US sanctions on Venezuela as she addresses the United Nations General Assembly at UN headquarters on September 27, 2019 in New York City ( Drew Angerer/Getty Images)

Delcy Rodriguez named acting president

The announcement came after Venezuela’s Supreme Court ruled Delcy Rodriguez should assume the presidential role for 90 days, placing her next in the line of succession after Maduro. Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino Lopez issued a statement endorsing the court’s decision and formally recognizing her leadership.

She has served as Maduro’s vice president since 2018, and during that time she has overseen significant elements of Venezuela’s oil-dependent economy along with its intelligence service.

President Trump said that Washington had been in contact with Rodriguez and commented that “she’s essentially willing to do what we think is necessary to make Venezuela great again.”

CARACAS, VENEZUELA - JANUARY 10: President of Venezuela Nicolas Maduro and his wife Cilia Flores hold hands and pose for photos after the swear-in ceremony at Palacio Federal Legislativo on January 10, 2025 in Caracas, Venezuela. Nicolas Maduro takes oath as president of Venezuela for a third consecutive term amidst tension in the country and a day after the opposition leader Maria Corina Machado was intercepted by governmental forces after taking part in an anti-government rally. Maduro claims to have won the election while the opposition leader Edmundo Gonzalez affirms he has won and, consequently, he is the legitimate president of Venezuela. (Photo by Jesus Vargas/Getty Images)
Nicolas Maduro and his wife Cilia Flores hold hands and pose for photos after the swearing-in ceremony at Palacio Federal Legislativo on January 10, 2025 in Caracas, Venezuela (Jesus Vargas/Getty Images)

Rodriguez, who was under US sanctions for actions tied to undermining Venezuelan democracy, spoke out strongly about the US operation. She called the military action that removed Maduro 'barbaric' and described it as an 'illegal and illegitimate kidnapping.'

Rodriguez asserted that it was an attack on Venezuela’s sovereignty and demanded the 'immediate release' of Maduro and his wife. Despite condemning the US action, Rodriguez said in her address that her government was open to respectful relations with the United States, indicating a willingness to maintain some level of dialogue.

She said, "Here, we have a government with clarity, and I repeat and repeat again … we are willing to have respectful relations, It is the only thing we will accept for a type of relationship after having attacked (Venezuela)."

PALM BEACH, FLORIDA - JANUARY 03: U.S. President Donald Trump addresses the media alongside U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio (L) and U.S. Secretary of War Pete Hegseth (R) during a news conference at his Mar-a-Lago club on January 03, 2026, in Palm Beach, Florida. President Trump confirmed that the U.S. military carried out a large-scale strike in Caracas overnight, resulting in the capture of Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores. (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
Donald Trump addresses the media alongside Marco Rubio and Pete Hegseth during a news conference at his Mar-a-Lago club on January 03, 2026, in Palm Beach, Florida (Joe Raedle/Getty Images) 

US warns Delcy Rodriguez as Nicolas Maduro faces charges

Trump appeared to issue a warning toward Rodriguez, stating in an interview with The Atlantic published Sunday that "if she doesn't do what's right, she is going to pay a very big price, probably bigger than Maduro."

Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Sunday on 'Face the Nation with Margaret Brennan' that discussions with Rodriguez and the Venezuelan government “are delicate and complicated things that require mature statesmanship, and that's what we intend to do.”

He continued, “But our goals remain the same. The difference is that the person who was in charge, even though not legitimately in the past was someone you could not work with. We just could not work with him.”

PALM BEACH, FLORIDA - JANUARY 03: U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks during a press conference as U.S. President Donald Trump listens at Mar-a-Lago club on January 03, 2026, in Palm Beach, Florida. During the event, President Trump confirmed that the U.S. military carried out a large-scale strike in Caracas overnight, resulting in the capture of Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores. (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
Marco Rubio speaks during a press conference, as Donald Trump listens at Mar-a-Lago club on January 03, 2026, in Palm Beach, Florida (Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores, arrived in New York on Sunday, where they will face federal charges connected to drug trafficking and alleged collaboration with gangs designated as terrorist organizations, allegations that Maduro denies.

In a televised address, Padrino Lopez said that several of Maduro’s bodyguards were killed 'in cold blood' during the raid, though he did not specify how many casualties there were.

Venezuelan officials have not yet released an official count of those injured or killed during the US operations. Trump said on Saturday that some troops were wounded, but that none lost their lives. Lopez also called on Venezuelans to return to normal life 'of all kinds, economic, work and education, in the coming days.'

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump says nations pledge funds, personnel to end Gaza conflict
11 hours ago
'We're dealing with people who make political, geopolitical decisions on the basis of pure theology, and it's a complicated thing', Rubio said
13 hours ago
Lindsey Graham's remarks on Greenland ownership clashed with concerns inside the party about sovereignty, NATO unity, and long-term Arctic strategy
1 day ago
The secretary of state rejects “managed decline” and urges stronger domestic defenses
1 day ago
Ukraine urges US action as Trump sets summer deadline for peace
2 days ago
USS Gerald R Ford rerouted to join USS Abraham Lincoln strike group amid tensions
2 days ago
Gavin Newsom and AOC told European allies that current US policy shifts did not represent a permanent break with transatlantic commitments
2 days ago
Rubio says world in ‘new era’ as Munich talks focus on NATO strains, Ukraine and Iran tensions
2 days ago
Trump says he will keep seeking a deal with Iran despite Israeli government skepticism
4 days ago
Macron urges EU to reform and resist US pressure after the ‘Greenland moment’
5 days ago