Elvira Salazar applauds Trump for keeping 'his word' in taking action against Nicolas Maduro

Representative Maria Elvira Salazar said Donald Trump’s move against Nicolas Maduro marked a break from decades of US inaction
PUBLISHED JAN 4, 2026
Maria Elvira Salazar spoke at a press conference praising the Trump administration’s operation against Nicolas Maduro (Screengrab/@RapidResponse47/X, Getty Images)
Maria Elvira Salazar spoke at a press conference praising the Trump administration’s operation against Nicolas Maduro (Screengrab/@RapidResponse47/X, Getty Images)


WASHINGTON, DC: Rep. Maria Elvira Salazar, applauded President Donald Trump for taking action against Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, praising the administration along with US military and law enforcement authorities for what she described as a historic operation.

A large-scale US operation conducted on Saturday, January 3 reportedly resulted in Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores, being captured and transported to New York City to face federal charges.

CARACAS, VENEZUELA - JANUARY 10: President of Venezuela Nicolas Maduro and his wife Cilia Flores hold hands and pose for photos after the swear-in ceremony at Palacio Federal Legislativo on January 10, 2025 in Caracas, Venezuela. Nicolas Maduro takes oath as president of Venezuela for a third consecutive term amidst tension in the country and a day after the opposition leader Maria Corina Machado was intercepted by governmental forces after taking part in an anti-government rally. Maduro claims to have won the election while the opposition leader Edmundo Gonzalez affirms he has won and, consequently, he is the legitimate president of Venezuela. (Photo by Jesus Vargas/Getty Images)
Nicolas Maduro and Cilia Flores posed after a swearing-in ceremony in Caracas earlier this year (Jesus Vargas/Getty Images)

Maria Elvira Salazar praises Donald Trump for action against Nicolas Maduro

Speaking at a press conference, Salazar said the administration’s message had been unmistakable. “The message has been very clear. President Trump kept his word,” she said.

She added that Trump showed political resolve that previous administrations lacked. “President Trump had the internal fortitude, had the political pants to do what no other president, Republican or Democrat, has done in the last 25 years,” Salazar said.

Salazar sharply criticized Maduro’s leadership, accusing him of destabilizing the region. She said no prior president had shown the determination to confront figures like Maduro, whom she blamed for harming both Venezuelans and Americans “through drugs, through terrorist attacks, through gang members, specifically Tren de Aragua."

PALM BEACH, FLORIDA - JANUARY 03: U.S. President Donald Trump addresses the media alongside U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio (L) and U.S. Secretary of War Pete Hegseth (R) during a news conference at his Mar-a-Lago club on January 03, 2026, in Palm Beach, Florida. President Trump confirmed that the U.S. military carried out a large-scale strike in Caracas overnight, resulting in the capture of Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores. (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
Donald Trump addressed reporters alongside Marco Rubio and Pete Hegseth at Mar-a-Lago in Florida (Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

Salazar also posted on X following the operation, declaring, “Venezuela will be FREE!”

In a longer statement shared with the post, she said, "Maduro’s dictatorship has come to an end. The narco-terrorist who poisoned our children, exported crime to our neighborhoods through the Tren de Aragua, and turned Venezuela into a state of terror will now face US justice.”

She added that the operation sent a broader signal across the region. “This extraordinary operation sends a clear message: the United States will not tolerate narco-terrorism in our hemisphere,” Salazar said, concluding with, “The Venezuelan people will never forget it."



Trump outlines Venezuela oversight plans

According to officials, Maduro and Flores first landed at Stewart Air National Guard Base in New York before being transported by helicopter to Manhattan’s Drug Enforcement Administration office. They were later moved to Brooklyn’s Metropolitan Detention Center, where Maduro was expected to face federal drug and weapons charges in Manhattan court.

Earlier, Trump released a photo showing Maduro blindfolded aboard the 'USS Iwo Jima.' During a subsequent press conference, he indicated that the United States would oversee Venezuela temporarily until what he described as a “judicious transition” could take place.

Nicolas Maduro on board the USS Iwo Jima. (Trump Truth Social)
Nicolas Maduro was shown blindfolded aboard the 'USS Iwo Jima' in an image shared by Donald Trump (Trump Truth Social)

Trump also outlined plans for US oversight of Venezuela’s oil reserves and said American companies would be deployed to help rebuild the country’s energy sector, with security provided by US troops.

Venezuelan Vice President Delcy Rodríguez rejected the US action, insisting that “Maduro is the country’s only president.” She condemned the operation as a kidnapping and demanded the immediate release of Maduro and Flores.

Venezuela later declared a national emergency, denouncing what it called “extremely serious military aggression.” Soldiers were seen patrolling parts of Caracas as small pro-Maduro gatherings formed in the capital." Meanwhile, soldiers patrolled parts of Caracas as small pro-Maduro crowds gathered.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Australian activist Drew Pavlou says his satirical plan to occupy Billie Eilish’s mansion led to a 30-hour detention at LAX
9 minutes ago
Petr Macinka criticized woke culture and gender ideology, while Hillary Clinton defended women’s rights during their tense exchange
28 minutes ago
Maher says outrage is emotional, insists his views on Trump haven’t changed and vows to keep mocking progressive activists
1 hour ago
Savannah Guthrie urged Nancy Guthrie’s return, saying it is not too late to act and expressing hope and belief in people’s goodness
2 hours ago
The New York Post alerted the Pima County Sheriff’s Department after finding gloves, as DNA from one may match Nancy Guthrie’s masked kidnapper
3 hours ago
Tucker Carlson says official silence is driving online speculation and warns key details may stay hidden until records are eventually declassified
3 hours ago
A former campus editor shares memories of Guthrie’s dedication as FBI raises reward and investigators pursue new leads
4 hours ago
Investigators recovered multiple gloves, but only one contained a DNA profile that appeared consistent with the figure seen in surveillance footage
8 hours ago
Mobile reactor transported from California to Utah for testing, Trump’s nuclear modernization push
9 hours ago
Feds seek 2-mile footage; $100K reward unclaimed in Savannah Guthrie mother search
10 hours ago