Trump declares US oversight in Venezuela until transition, highlights oil companies’ role in growth

'We are going to run the country until such time as we can do a safe, proper and judicious transition,' Donald Trump stated from Mar-a-Lago
UPDATED JAN 3, 2026
Donald Trump pointed to Marco Rubio and Pete Hegseth as officials who would help run Venezuela during the transition phase after Nicolas Maduro's capture (Getty Images)
Donald Trump pointed to Marco Rubio and Pete Hegseth as officials who would help run Venezuela during the transition phase after Nicolas Maduro's capture (Getty Images)

PALM BEACH, FLORIDA: President Donald Trump, on Saturday January 3, said that the United States will “run” Venezuela following the capture of Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro and his wife Cilia Flores, during a large-scale overnight US military operation.

Speaking at a news conference in Florida, Trump said Washington would remain directly involved until what he described as a safe and orderly transition could be put in place.

The announcement marked a sharp escalation in US-Venezuela tensions and signaled a direct American role in shaping the country’s future. Venezuelan officials have rejected the US account and condemned the operation as an act of aggression.

Nicolas Maduro on board the USS Iwo Jima. (Trump Truth Social)
Nicolas Maduro on board the USS Iwo Jima (@realDonaldTrump/Truth Social)

Trump outlines Venezuela plan after Nicolas Maduro's capture

Trump said that the US would take charge of Venezuela’s immediate governance to prevent a repeat of what he described as prolonged instability under Maduro.

Speaking from his Mar-a-Lago club in Florida, the president said, “We are going to run the country until such time as we can do a safe, proper and judicious transition."

He also stated that senior US officials would work with a “team” to oversee the country during a transitional period.

Speaking at his Mar-a-Lago club in Florida, Trump said, “It’s largely going to be, for a period of time, the people that are standing right behind me. We’re going to be running it. We’re going to be bringing it back.”

PALM BEACH, FLORIDA - JANUARY 03: U.S. President Donald Trump addresses the media alongside U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio (L) and U.S. Secretary of War Pete Hegseth (R) during a news conference at his Mar-a-Lago club on January 03, 2026, in Palm Beach, Florida. President Trump confirmed that the U.S. military carried out a large-scale strike in Caracas overnight, resulting in the capture of Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores. (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump addresses the media alongside Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Secretary of War Pete Hegseth during a news conference at his Mar-a-Lago club on January 03, 2026, in Palm Beach, Florida (Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

Trump also said that US oil companies would enter Venezuela and play a central role in rebuilding the country’s energy sector.

“US companies will enter Venezuela, spend billions and start making money for the country,” he told reporters, adding that Venezuela’s oil business under the current system had been a “bust.”

He described the arrangement as a “partnership” that would benefit the population. The deal, Trump said, would make Venezuelans “rich, independent and safe.”

He also said that Venezuelans living in the United States would be “extremely happy” with the changes.

Trump described Maduro's residence as a 'fortress' with a steel panic room, revealing that elite troops 'bumrushed' the dictator before he could seal himself inside (Getty Images)
Donald Trump described Nicolas Maduro's residence as a 'fortress' with a steel panic room, revealing that elite troops 'bumrushed' the dictator before he could seal himself inside (Getty Images)

Trump said that Rubio and Hegseth would be part of a leadership group working with Venezuelans during the transition.

“They’re a team that’s working with the people of Venezuela to make sure that we have Venezuela right,” Trump said.

He did not rule out continued or expanded military involvement, saying, “We’re not afraid of boots on the ground.”

Trump added that the US would remain present until Venezuela was “put back on track,” though he did not provide a specific timeline for the transition. 

Venezuela disputes US claims and condemns strikes

Venezuelan officials disputed the US account of the operation and condemned the strikes as a violation of international law.

Vice President Delcy Rodríguez said that the government did not know the whereabouts of Maduro and Flores. “We demand proof of life,” she said.

CARACAS, VENEZUELA - MARCH 12: President of Venezuela Nicolas Maduro speaks during a press conferenc
President of Venezuela Nicolas Maduro speaks during a press conference at Miraflores Government Palace on March 12, 2020, in Caracas, Venezuela (Carolina Cabral/Getty Images) 

Venezuelan state media reported that Maduro condemned what he described as a “grave military aggression,” saying the strikes violated the United Nations Charter.

“This is an attack against the sovereignty of Venezuela,” Maduro reportedly said, according to The Miami Herald.

CARACAS, VENEZUELA - JANUARY 10: President of Venezuela Nicolas Maduro and his wife Cilia Flores hold hands and pose for photos after the swear-in ceremony at Palacio Federal Legislativo on January 10, 2025 in Caracas, Venezuela. Nicolas Maduro takes oath as president of Venezuela for a third consecutive term amidst tension in the country and a day after the opposition leader Maria Corina Machado was intercepted by governmental forces after taking part in an anti-government rally. Maduro claims to have won the election while the opposition leader Edmundo Gonzalez affirms he has won and, consequently, he is the legitimate president of Venezuela. (Photo by Jesus Vargas/Getty Images)
President of Venezuela Nicolas Maduro and his wife Cilia Flores hold hands and pose for photos after the swearing-in ceremony at Palacio Federal Legislativo on January 10, 2025, in Caracas, Venezuela (Jesus Vargas/Getty Images)

The Venezuelan government declared a state of emergency and ordered national defense plans to be implemented.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump says nations pledge funds, personnel to end Gaza conflict
14 hours ago
'We're dealing with people who make political, geopolitical decisions on the basis of pure theology, and it's a complicated thing', Rubio said
16 hours ago
Lindsey Graham's remarks on Greenland ownership clashed with concerns inside the party about sovereignty, NATO unity, and long-term Arctic strategy
1 day ago
The secretary of state rejects “managed decline” and urges stronger domestic defenses
1 day ago
Ukraine urges US action as Trump sets summer deadline for peace
2 days ago
USS Gerald R Ford rerouted to join USS Abraham Lincoln strike group amid tensions
2 days ago
Gavin Newsom and AOC told European allies that current US policy shifts did not represent a permanent break with transatlantic commitments
2 days ago
Rubio says world in ‘new era’ as Munich talks focus on NATO strains, Ukraine and Iran tensions
2 days ago
Trump says he will keep seeking a deal with Iran despite Israeli government skepticism
4 days ago
Macron urges EU to reform and resist US pressure after the ‘Greenland moment’
5 days ago