Iran's foreign minister warns US will ‘bitterly regret’ sinking of Iranian warship

A US Navy submarine sank an Iranian warship in international waters, marking the first torpedo attack on an enemy vessel since World War II
Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi condemned the attack as an 'atrocity at sea,' saying the warship had been struck in international waters about 2,000 miles from Iran’s shores (Screengrab/X/@MarioNawfal)
Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi condemned the attack as an 'atrocity at sea,' saying the warship had been struck in international waters about 2,000 miles from Iran’s shores (Screengrab/X/@MarioNawfal)

WASHINGTON, DC: Iran’s foreign minister has warned that the United States will “bitterly regret” sinking an Iranian naval vessel, sharply escalating rhetoric as the widening conflict between Washington, Israel, and Tehran continues to unfold.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi issued the warning after a US Navy submarine torpedoed and sank the Iranian frigate IRIS Dena in the Indian Ocean earlier this week, killing dozens of sailors and marking one of the most dramatic naval clashes of the ongoing conflict.

Iran condemns strike as ‘atrocity at sea’

The US will “bitterly regret the precedent it has set” after an American submarine torpedoed an Iranian warship in an attack that left more than 80 sailors dead, the Islamic Republic’s foreign minister warned.



“The US has perpetrated an atrocity at sea, 2,000 miles away from Iran’s shores. Frigate Dena, a guest of India’s Navy carrying almost 130 sailors, was struck in international waters without warning,” Abbas Aragchi wrote on X on Thursday. “Mark my words: The US will come to bitterly regret (the) precedent it has set.”

Iranian leaders have also framed the sinking as part of a broader campaign by Washington and its allies aimed at weakening or destabilizing the Islamic Republic.

“We are now on the verge of a great test, and we must be careful to fully preserve this unity, to fully preserve this alliance,” Ayatollah Abdollah Javadi Amoli said in a message aired on Iranian state television on Thursday.

Pete Hegseth defends the attack on warship

The naval strike occurred amid a rapidly expanding conflict that began when the United States and Israel launched coordinated attacks against Iran in late February under the US operation known as Operation Epic Fury.

Secretary of War Pete Hegseth said the ship “thought it was safe in international waters” before it was struck by a Mark 48 torpedo, which costs an estimated $4.2 million.

Healthcare workers unload from a vehicle the bodies of Iranian sailors who died when their IRIS Dena warship sank outside Sri Lanka's territorial waters, in Galle, Sri Lanka, Wednesday, March 4, 2026. (AP Photo/Eranga Jayawardena)
Healthcare workers unload from a vehicle the bodies of Iranian sailors who died when their IRIS Dena warship sank outside Sri Lanka's territorial waters, in Galle, Sri Lanka, Wednesday, March 4, 2026 (AP Photo/Eranga Jayawardena)

“Instead, it was sunk by a torpedo — Quiet Death,” Hegseth said.

Hegseth said the strike was the first sinking of an enemy ship by a torpedo since World War II, when the USS Torsk sank a Japanese enemy vessel just one day before Japan’s surrender in August 1945.

“Like in that war, back when we were still the War Department, we are fighting to win,” he said.

This image from video provided by U.S. Defense Department shows explosion on an Iranian ship in the Indian Ocean during the Iran war. (U.S. Central Command via AP)
This image from a video provided by the US Defense Department showed an explosion on an Iranian ship in the Indian Ocean during the Iran war (US Central Command via AP)

The IRIS Dena was heading back to Iran from an eastern Indian port when it was hit, according to the Sri Lankan deputy foreign minister.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

The 60-day US-Iran ceasefire deadline ended without a deal on August 17, and President Trump said the next day that no talks were underway
1 day ago
The High Court has ordered the seven claimants to make the payment by August 28, with the publisher seeking substantially more
1 day ago
Donald Trump sought to reopen a diplomatic channel with North Korea despite Kim Jong Un’s hardened nuclear stance
2 days ago
Kim Yo-jong said the relationship between Trump and Kim Jong Un is 'excellent,' but she was unaware of any recent communication between them
2 days ago
Trump rejected claims that November's midterm elections influenced his approach to the conflict, saying they had 'nothing to do' with his thinking
5 days ago
A Wall Street Journal report says Iran used the diplomatic window to strengthen the IRGC, rebuild weapons capacity and prepare for wider conflict
5 days ago
Donald Trump cited cost, diplomacy with Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s Iran stance as the Pentagon reduced US participation in annual military drills
5 days ago
Iranian Army chief Amir Hatami said the reward was created after a surge in requests from Iranians seeking to join the conflict
6 days ago
Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran would decide when the strategic waterway opens or closes, rejecting Washington’s claim of control
7 days ago
Iran said the United States must pledge never to threaten Tehran again and permanently end its war with Iran and its regional allies
Aug 9, 2026