US naval power responds as Rubio says latest Iran clashes are separate from Operation Epic Fury

Rubio defends naval strikes, says ‘stupid countries don’t shoot back’ after Iran provocation
Speaking from Rome, Secretary Marco Rubio rejected claims of a strategic pullback and confirmed US naval forces are still authorized to respond to attacks in the Strait of Hormuz (Photo by Janos Kummer/Getty Images)
Speaking from Rome, Secretary Marco Rubio rejected claims of a strategic pullback and confirmed US naval forces are still authorized to respond to attacks in the Strait of Hormuz (Photo by Janos Kummer/Getty Images)

ROME, ITALY: US Secretary of State Marco Rubio sent a clear message to Tehran during a press gaggle in Rome on Friday, May 8, asserting that the US military action against Iran yesterday was “separate and distinct from Operation Epic Fury.”

Speaking at a high-stakes diplomatic juncture, the nation’s top diplomat clarified that while the massive offensive campaign that began months ago has concluded, the United States will not hesitate to respond "defensively" to any immediate maritime threats.



The Secretary’s comments come following an incident yesterday in which US destroyers, navigating through international waters, were engaged by Iranian forces.

Rubio emphasized that the American response was a direct necessity of self-preservation.

“Only stupid countries don’t shoot back when you’re shot at. And we’re not a stupid country,” Rubio told reporters, underscoring a shift from proactive destruction to reactive defense.

Offensive air and sea campaign concludes



Rubio provided a retrospective on Operation Epic Fury, which he had announced earlier this week was officially over.

He described the mission as a highly specific "offensive operation" that had been meticulously designed to destroy Iran’s missile launches, their navy, and their air force.

The conclusion of that campaign suggests that the primary objectives of dismantling Tehran’s heavy military infrastructure have been met.

However, the Secretary was quick to distinguish those strategic goals from the tactical skirmishes currently occurring in the world's most critical shipping lanes.

Destroyers under fire in international waters



The catalyst for yesterday’s strike was an Iranian assault on US naval assets operating in the open sea.

Rubio detailed how US destroyers were simply moving through international waters when they were fired upon by Iranian positions.

He characterized the subsequent US strikes not as a resumption of full-scale war, but as a localized defensive maneuver to protect American vessels and personnel.

This distinction is critical as the administration seeks to navigate the fallout of the recent maritime blockade and the ongoing friction in the region.

A clear warning on American safety

When pushed on whether the United States had established specific thresholds for further escalation, Rubio remained blunt.

He noted that while the term for such boundaries is often debated, the reality on the ground is simple and uncompromising.



“The red line is clear: If they threaten Americans, they’re going to get blown up,” Rubio stated. 

The remark reinforces the administration's stance that any direct threat to US citizens or military members will result in immediate and overwhelming retaliation, regardless of the official status of named military operations.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Hunter Biden conceded that Benjamin Netanyahu had sought Jared Kushner's involvement as Maher challenged his criticism of Trump's Middle East envoy
15 minutes ago
Tom Homan cited deportations to 180 countries while responding to Florida Senate candidate Angie Nixon’s concerns over ICE enforcement
44 minutes ago
Hunter Biden's comments come after his mother, Jill Biden, said that the family would support him if he ever decided to run for president
1 hour ago
Donald Trump made the claim while campaigning for Darline Graham in South Carolina, offering no details about hospitals allegedly carrying out the procedures
2 hours ago
Michael Wolff said Melania Trump had abandoned the traditional first lady role after making just 38 public appearances through July
7 hours ago
'She sacrificed, she didn't even sleep, she didn't even eat, and she got to one of the highest positions in the country', Amy Robbins said about Harp
7 hours ago
The lawsuit alleged TikTok let children under 13 create accounts without parental consent, collected their data, and failed to honor deletion requests
7 hours ago
In a letter, Natalie Harp told Trump, 'You are all that matters to me', then pushed back on her 'human printer' label
8 hours ago
Rashida Tlaib’s latest financial disclosure lists crypto-linked funds in her retirement accounts as Congress prepares for another digital-assets push
9 hours ago
Dan Driscoll has pushed the Army to improve living conditions for troops and modernize its equipment
9 hours ago