US rejects Iran strike claims as warships escort first ships through Hormuz

US launches 'Project Freedom' to restore shipping as Iran warns of retaliation
President Donald Trump announces US forces will assist stranded ships through the chokepoint amid rising tensions (Getty Images)
President Donald Trump announces US forces will assist stranded ships through the chokepoint amid rising tensions (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: The United States military on Monday rejected Iranian claims that it had struck an American warship near the Strait of Hormuz, even as the first commercial vessels began transiting the critical waterway under a new US-led escort mission.

Donald Trump announced that American forces would step in to guide stranded ships through the chokepoint, where maritime traffic has been effectively frozen amid escalating tensions between Washington and Tehran.

The operation, dubbed “Project Freedom,” aims to restore the flow of global trade through one of the world’s most vital energy corridors.

US Central Command said no American naval assets had been hit, dismissing Iranian reports of missile strikes as false.

“No US Navy ships have been struck. US forces are supporting Project Freedom and enforcing the naval blockade on Iranian ports,” it said. Officials also confirmed that US-flagged merchant ships had completed an initial escorted transit through the strait.

ARABIAN SEA - APRIL 20: (EDITOR'S NOTE: This Handout image was provided by a third-party organization and may not adhere to Getty Images' editorial policy.) In this handout photo provided by U.S. Central Command, U.S. forces patrol the Arabian Sea near M/V Touska on April 20, 2026, after firing upon the Iranian-flagged vessel that the U.S. accused of attempting to violate the U.S. naval blockade of Iranian ports near the Strait of Hormuz. (Handout Photo by the U.S. Navy via Getty Images)
US forces patrol the Arabian Sea near M/V Touska, April 20, 2026, after firing on an Iranian-flagged vessel accused of breaching the Hormuz blockade (Handout Photo by the US Navy via Getty Images)

Iran issues warning, claims control of strait

Iran responded with a series of aggressive statements and renewed warnings, signalling it would resist any attempt to undermine its influence over the strategic passage.

State media reported that Iranian forces had prevented a US destroyer from entering the strait and claimed missiles had struck near the vessel, assertions firmly denied by Washington.

Tehran also released a map outlining what it described as areas under its control, reinforcing its stance that all maritime movement must be coordinated with Iranian authorities.

“We warn that any foreign armed force, especially the aggressive military of America, attempting to approach or enter the Strait of Hormuz will be subjected to attack,” a senior Iranian military official said in remarks carried by state television.

Iran’s Revolutionary Guard echoed the threat, cautioning that any shipping activity outside its declared parameters would face “serious risks.”

ARABIAN SEA - APRIL 20: (EDITOR'S NOTE: This Handout image was provided by a third-party organization and may not adhere to Getty Images' editorial policy.) In this handout photo provided by U.S. Central Command, U.S. forces patrol the Arabian Sea near M/V Touska on April 20, 2026, after firing upon the Iranian-flagged vessel that the U.S. accused of attempting to violate the U.S. naval blockade of Iranian ports near the Strait of Hormuz. (Handout Photo by the U.S. Navy via Getty Images)
 US forces patrol the Arabian Sea near M/V Touska, April 20, 2026, after firing on an Iranian-flagged vessel accused of breaching the Hormuz blockade (Handout Photo by the U.S. Navy via Getty Images)

Massive US deployment underway

The US operation involves a significant military buildup, including 15,000 personnel, guided-missile destroyers, more than 100 aircraft, and unmanned systems across multiple domains.

According to US officials, naval forces have already moved into the Arabian Gulf after transiting the strait, positioning themselves to escort commercial vessels.

The Joint Maritime Information Center said an “enhanced security area” had been established, advising ships to consider safer routes through Omani waters due to the risk of mines in traditional shipping lanes.

Trump described the mission as both strategic and humanitarian, noting that hundreds of vessels and thousands of seafarers have been stranded for weeks, many facing shortages of essential supplies.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

'The president should have stuck to his campaign pledge of keeping us out of war and focused on bringing down prices', Van Hollen said
2 hours ago
President Donald Trump reportedly triggered stunned silence among Islamic leaders by tying a regional ceasefire to recognizing Israel
2 hours ago
'If Lindsey Graham and Ted Cruz are crashing out about it last night, I'd say it's a pretty good deal', Massie said about the possible Iran deal
4 hours ago
'DNC has got to do a lot better if they're going to meet this moment in history', Cory Booker said, calling for reforms to keep Democrats competitive
5 hours ago
Iran’s leader reportedly backs deal to ‘in principle’ dispose of enriched uranium
5 hours ago
'Now we are talking about a posture where we may accept the nuclear material remaining in Iran? How does that make sense at all?' Thom Tillis asked
7 hours ago
Netanyahu signals pressure on Washington as US–Iran talks move forward
7 hours ago
Trump rejects JCPOA diplomacy, maintains naval pressure, demands strict Iran enrichment limits
7 hours ago
'The deal being floated with Iran seems straight out of the Wendy Sherman-Robert Malley-Ben Rhodes playbook', Pompeo wrote
8 hours ago
Rubio defends Trump’s Iran talks, rejects claims deal would boost nuclear ambitions
8 hours ago