'You can't buy us off': Internet slams President Biden as he announces change in monthly student loan payment under his SAVE plan

President Joe Biden recently announced changes in the monthly payments for borrowers with only undergraduate student loans under his SAVE plan
Joe Biden's administration has been vocal about changing the student loan system (Getty Images)
Joe Biden's administration has been vocal about changing the student loan system (Getty Images)

NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK: President Joe Biden took to X (formerly Twitter) on Wednesday, March 6, to announce his new efforts to alleviate the problem of burgeoning student debts.

However, most netizens saw it as a ploy to influence young voters for the upcoming November general election, leading them to bash the POTUS.

In his post, Biden wrote, "Before I took office, student borrowers had to pay 10% of their discretionary income on a monthly basis. Under my SAVE Plan, we’re cutting that in half. No one with an undergraduate loan will have to pay more than 5% of their discretionary income starting in July."



 

President Joe Biden's Savings on Valuable Education (SAVE) plan seeks to deliver life-changing relief to students and families

Biden had long pushed for fixing the issues related to the student loan system, but his initial plan, which was tabled in 2023 and would have cost north of $400 billion, was blocked by the US Supreme Court.

Since then, his administration has been working on the Savings on Valuable Education (SAVE) plan, as a part of which the White House announced the elimination of $1.2 billion in student loans for more than 150,000 borrowers back in February.

Now, Biden has announced an expansion of the plan to state that borrowers with an undergraduate loan won't have to pay more than 5% of their discretionary monthly income as opposed to the 10% they are currently paying from July onwards. 

Joe Biden (Getty Images)
Joe Biden's administration has always been vocal about alleviating the issue of burgeoning student loans (Getty Images)

A statement from the White House mentioned, "The Biden-Harris Administration has now approved nearly $138 billion in student debt cancellation for almost 3.9 million borrowers through more than two dozen executive actions."

It went on to say, "The president has canceled more student debt than any President in history – delivering life-changing relief to students and families – and has created the most affordable student loan repayment plan ever: the SAVE plan."

Internet reacts to President Joe Biden's recent announcement regarding the SAVE plan

One remarked, "So who will be paying the rest of that interest? The taxpayer. This is unconstitutional and the Supreme Court has already ruled against all of Joe Biden’s illegal attempts to cancel student loan debt. Students will have to pay their own debts. It’s their responsibility."

"You can’t buy us off. We’re voting Trump," stated a person, and someone else said, "How about you hold the colleges and universities accountable for astronomic fees and useless degrees (?) Oh wait, there’s no votes attached to that concept."

An individual remarked, "There’s better things to do with our tax money," and one more questioned, "Why not have the filthy rich colleges reduce their tuition instead?"



 



 



 



 



 

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

'He'd (Don Jr) like me to go, but it's going to be just a small, little private affair, and I'm going to try and make it', Trump had said on Thursday
5 hours ago
Kamala Harris refuses to rule out 2028 White House run amid Democratic concerns
5 hours ago
Lukas, a senior intelligence figure, is to maintain continuity during leadership change
6 hours ago
In her letter, she thanks colleagues and cites personal and family reasons for stepping down
7 hours ago
The controversy centered on a series of old Reddit posts linked to the username 'P-Hustle', an account Dem Senate candidate Platner admitted owning
8 hours ago
DCCC spends $35K in intervention ad push ahead of critical primary runoff
8 hours ago
'We all would love to see an agreement with Iran in which the straits are open, and they abandon their nuclear ambitions', Marco Rubio said
9 hours ago
Trump erupts after Thom Tillis criticizes $1.776B ‘anti-weaponization fund’
9 hours ago
EU enacts emergency sanctions framework with asset freezes, travel bans on trade disruptors
10 hours ago
Secretary of State Marco Rubio urged allies to prepare backup plans for a long maritime crisis if diplomacy failed to end Iran's blockade
10 hours ago