25 states sue Trump administration over SNAP suspension during shutdown: 'This is cruelty'

A multistate lawsuit filed against the Trump administration sought to restore November's SNAP benefits and warned that millions could go hungry
PUBLISHED OCT 28, 2025
Twenty-five states and the District of Columbia filed a lawsuit on Tuesday, October 28, against the Trump administration over its decision to suspend Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits (Gettty Images)
Twenty-five states and the District of Columbia filed a lawsuit on Tuesday, October 28, against the Trump administration over its decision to suspend Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits (Gettty Images)

BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS:  Twenty-five states and the District of Columbia filed a lawsuit on Tuesday, October 28, against the Trump administration over its decision to suspend Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits amid the shutdown, warning that millions of Americans could soon lose access to food aid.

The lawsuit, filed in a federal court in Massachusetts, seeks an emergency order requiring the Department of Agriculture (USDA) to use contingency funds to continue distributing November's benefits.

The states, including California, New York, Pennsylvania, and Illinois, argue that cutting off food stamps to approximately 42 million Americans violates federal law and poses a threat to public health.



USDA blames Democrats and says ‘well has run dry’

“Shutting off SNAP benefits will cause deterioration of public health and well-being,” the complaint from the 25 states said.

“The loss of SNAP benefits leads to food insecurity, hunger, and malnutrition, which are associated with numerous negative health outcomes in children, such as poor concentration, decreased cognitive function, fatigue, depression, and behavioral problems,” the complaint added. 

The Trump administration announced last week that SNAP payments would not be issued starting from November 1, citing a lack of congressional funding.

WASHINGTON, DC - OCTOBER 01: The U.S. Capitol Visitors Center is closed to visitors during the federal government shut down on October 01, 2025 in Washington, DC. The government shut down early Wednesday after Congress failed to reach a funding deal. ( (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
The US Capitol Visitors Center is closed to visitors during the federal government shut down on October 01, 2025 in Washington, DC (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

The USDA said it could not legally use its roughly $5 billion in contingency reserves to continue benefits, arguing that those funds were designated for emergencies like natural disasters.

“The well has run dry,” the department said in a notice posted online, blaming Democrats for blocking a stopgap funding bill passed by the House.

The memo also cited Hurricane Melissa, one of the strongest Atlantic storms on record, as an example of how contingency funds must be reserved for disaster response.

But state officials countered that the agency’s position marks a sharp departure from past practice.

During the 2019 shutdown, the USDA used contingency funds to issue February benefits, they said, adding that nothing in federal law prevents it from doing the same now.

WASHINGTON, DC - FEBRUARY 11:  U.S. Senate Minority Leader Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) speaks as Sen.
Senate Minority Leader Sen Chuck Schumer (D-NY) after a Democratic party luncheon (Getty Images) 

Letitia James says millions could go hungry

“Millions of Americans are about to go hungry because the federal government has chosen to withhold food assistance it is legally obligated to provide,” said New York Attorney General Letitia James, who is leading the coalition of Democratic governors and attorneys general. 

“SNAP is one of our nation’s most effective tools to fight hunger, and the USDA has the money to keep it running,” she added.

New York Attorney General Letitia James and New York City mayoral candidate Zohran Mamdani attend the 2025 New York City Pride March on June 29, 2025 in New York City. (Noam Galai/Getty Images)
New York Attorney General Letitia James and New York City mayoral candidate Zohran Mamdani attend the 2025 New York City Pride March on June 29, 2025 in New York City (Noam Galai/Getty Images)

The lawsuit contends that the USDA’s refusal to disburse benefits constitutes a "dramatic" policy shift and unlawfully abandons families that depend on food stamps to survive.

The ongoing shutdown, now in its 28th day, has already disrupted federal operations and triggered furloughs for thousands of government workers.

Roughly one in eight Americans relied on SNAP, receiving a reported average of $187 per month in grocery benefits.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Ghislaine Maxwell’s family criticizes unequal treatment in legal cases as Andrew faces investigation over alleged misconduct as UK trade envoy
2 hours ago
Eileen Gu reacts after JD Vance questions US-born athletes competing abroad
10 hours ago
Court filing says settlement fund could disburse $35 million upon approval of 40+ eligible claims
12 hours ago
Alysa Liu finished with a total score of 226.79, including a season-best 150.20 in the free skate and 76.59 in the short program
18 hours ago
Amber Glenn, Team USA’s first openly queer woman skater, opened up about emotional toll and online backlash after her 13th-place Olympic finish
19 hours ago
Congressional candidate Clay Fuller mentioned that his daughter, Tallulah, had received detention for missing school to attend the rally
19 hours ago
Nevada County authorities confirmed that eight people died, while a ninth person remained missing and was presumed dead
20 hours ago
Performance highlighted fatal Minneapolis shootings by federal agents and used dance to draw attention to the deaths of Good and Pretti
22 hours ago
Sonora authorities said that no formal collaboration request had been received, though they remained open to cooperating through established channels
1 day ago
The Commission of Fine Arts approved the $400 million project in a 6–0 vote, with one recusal, advancing plans for a major East Wing expansion
1 day ago