ABC accused of ‘same journalistic sin’ as BBC for deceptively editing Trump’s Jan 6 speech

Australia’s ABC was accused by Chris Kenny of deceptively editing Donald Trump’s January 6 speech, mirroring the controversy that recently hit BBC
ABC’s 2021 documentary 'Downfall' appeared to show Donald Trump urging a march on the Capitol, but critics say key parts of his speech were deceptively edited out (Getty Images)
ABC’s 2021 documentary 'Downfall' appeared to show Donald Trump urging a march on the Capitol, but critics say key parts of his speech were deceptively edited out (Getty Images)

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA: Australia’s national broadcaster, ABC, is under fire after allegations that it deceptively edited Donald Trump’s January 6, 2021, speech, the same controversy that recently rocked Britain’s BBC. 

The claim was made on Monday by Sky News Australia host Chris Kenny, who accused the broadcaster of committing the “same journalistic sin” that led to the resignation of two senior BBC executives last week. 



The ABC’s documentary, ''Downfall: The Last Days of President Trump, aired in February 2021 on its flagship program Four Corners, a month after the Capitol riot. The episode included footage that appeared to suggest Trump had incited violence by urging supporters to march on the Capitol, but critics say key parts of his speech were deceptively edited out.

ABC accused of cutting Trump’s call for peace

On his program, Kenny highlighted that the ABC spliced together segments of Trump’s remarks to create a misleading impression of his tone and intent.

“The ABC included footage of Trump telling rally-goers: ‘We’re going to walk down, and I’ll be there with you. Because you’ll never take back our country with weakness. You have to show strength and have to be strong,’” Kenny said. However, the broadcaster allegedly omitted Trump’s next line, “to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard.”

President Donald Trump speaks to members of the media following a meeting with Emir of Qatar Sheikh Tamim ibn Hamad Al Thani and Prime Minister of Qatar Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani aboard Air Force One during a refueling stop at Al-Udeid Air Base on October 25, 2025 in Abu Nakhlah, Qatar.  (Photo by Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump speaks to members of the media following a meeting with Emir of Qatar Sheikh Tamim ibn Hamad Al Thani and Prime Minister of Qatar Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani aboard Air Force One during a refueling stop at Al-Udeid Air Base on October 25, 2025 in Abu Nakhlah, Qatar (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

“They have clipped up the speech to suit their narrative rather than reality, and the true meaning of what Donald Trump said,” Kenny charged, comparing the edit to the BBC’s own misleading broadcast of Trump’s January 6 remarks.

ABC defends its documentary amid growing criticism

Responding to the allegations, an ABC spokesperson defended the network’s editorial choices.

“The quote in question from President Trump was used accurately by the ABC, did not change the meaning of that section of the speech and it did not mislead the audience,” the spokesperson told Sky News. “The program was consistent with the ABC’s high standards of factual, accurate, and impartial storytelling,” they added.

DETROIT, MICHIGAN - OCTOBER 10: Republican presidential nominee, former U.S. President Donald Trump, speaks at the Detroit Economic Club on October 10, 2024 in Detroit, Michigan. Michigan is considered a key battleground state in the upcoming presidential election, holding 15 electoral votes. (Photo by Bill Pugliano/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump, speaks at the Detroit Economic Club on October 10, 2024 in Detroit, Michigan (Getty Images)

But critics argue the broadcaster’s defense mirrors the BBC’s earlier justification, a stance that collapsed after The Telegraph revealed how the British network had spliced together parts of Trump’s speech delivered nearly an hour apart, creating a false impression of his intent.

BBC faces $1 billion threat from Trump amid documentary scandal

The controversy comes as Donald Trump escalates his legal battle with the BBC, threatening a $1 billion lawsuit over the network’s documentary that allegedly misrepresented his January 6 remarks.

“If the BBC does not comply … President Trump will be left with no alternative but to enforce his legal and equitable rights,” his attorney Alejandro Brito warned in a formal letter. “The BBC is on notice.” 



Speaking to Fox News host Laura Ingraham, Trump said he felt he had an “obligation” to take legal action. “Well, I guess I have to. Why not? Because they defrauded the public, and they’ve admitted it,” he told 'The Ingraham Angle.'

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

911 audio captured a call for an ambulance to GM's Charlotte Technical Center after Kyle Busch reportedly suffered a medical emergency
4 minutes ago
Two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion, Kyle Busch died at the age of 41 on May 21 after sudden illness
10 hours ago
Carly Kimmel was accused of complaining about Spencer Pratt-themed baked goods sold at Vicente Foods, a 78-year-old grocery store in Brentwood
14 hours ago
Judge Mary Kay Vyskocil dismissed Michael Wolff’s case after criticizing both sides over legal tactics in court disputes
15 hours ago
In another post, Trump unloaded on Stephen Colbert, calling him a 'total jerk' with 'no talent, no ratings, no life'
17 hours ago
Among those in the most serious condition are firefighters and first responders
17 hours ago
911 audio captured a call for an ambulance after Kyle Busch suffered a medical emergency in Concord on Wednesday evening, May 20
1 day ago
FCC issues notice challenging 2002 exemption, threatens equal time for political candidates
1 day ago
While Robert De Niro took aim at Donald Trump over the Epstein files, Bruce Springsteen criticized the president for not being able to 'take a joke'
1 day ago
A 17-year-old teen, with his 18-year-old accomplice, allegedly carried out a deadly attack at the Islamic Center on May 18, killing three people before claiming their lives while fleeing the scene
1 day ago