AG Blanche links WHCD shooter to Trump administration plot, says motive still 'couple of days' away

Officials say the investigation is ongoing, with federal agencies retracing the suspect's movements and communications to determine intent
Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche said preliminary findings indicated that the gunman may have been targeting administration officials, though the motive remained under investigation (Getty Images)
Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche said preliminary findings indicated that the gunman may have been targeting administration officials, though the motive remained under investigation (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche said on Sunday, April 26, that investigators believe the suspect behind the shooting at the White House Correspondents' Dinner was likely targeting administration officials, though authorities are still working to establish a motive.

The incident triggered an immediate security response after the suspect allegedly breached the event perimeter with a weapon. Blanche said the findings remain preliminary and formal charges are expected in Washington, DC, on Monday.

WASHINGTON, DC - APRIL 25: White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt, First Lady Melania Trump and U.S. President Donald Trump attend of the annual White House Correspondents Association Dinner April 25, 2026 in Washington, DC. The president is making his first appearance at the event which he has shunned in the past. (Photo by Nathan Howard/Getty Images)
White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt, First Lady Melania Trump, and President Donald Trump attend the annual White House Correspondents Association Dinner on April 25, 2026, in Washington, DC (Nathan Howard/Getty Images)

Todd Blanche says motive still under investigation 

Speaking on NBC News' 'Meet the Press', Blanche said federal investigators are still piecing together the motive behind the attack and cautioned against drawing early conclusions.

“We're still investigating a motive, and that's something that will necessarily take a couple of days at least,” Blanche said. “We believe he was targeting administration officials in this attack, attempted attack, but that's again, quite preliminary.”

Blanche said those officials “likely” included President Donald Trump, though he stressed investigators were still reviewing evidence before making any definitive determination.

WASHINGTON, DC - APRIL 25: Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. (C) is taken out of the ballroom by security agents during a shooting incident at the annual White House Correspondents Association Dinner at the Washington Hilton on April 25, 2026 in Washington, DC. According to reports, President Donald Trump, along with other government officials, were evacuated from the Washington Hilton gun shots. (Photo by Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F Kennedy Jr (C) is taken out of the ballroom by security agents during a shooting incident at the annual White House Correspondents Association Dinner at the Washington Hilton on April 25, 2026, in Washington, DC (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

The suspect has been identified as Cole Tomas Allen, 31, of Torrance, California, according to a federal official familiar with the investigation. Authorities said Allen had no prior criminal record and was previously unknown to Washington law enforcement.

Investigators believe Allen traveled cross-country by train, first from Los Angeles to Chicago and then from Chicago to Washington, before checking into the hotel hosting the White House Correspondents’ Dinner.

Officials are also examining reports that the suspect may have assembled the weapon inside the hotel before the incident unfolded.

(TruthSocial/@realDonaldTrump)
The suspect was identified as 31-year-old Cole Tomas Allen of California, officials said (@realDonaldTrump/TruthSocial)

Blanche said investigators are retracing the suspect’s movements and communications to determine intent and whether any broader plan was involved. Federal prosecutors are expected to formally charge Allen in DC as early as Monday.

Security response under review 

The shooting has renewed scrutiny over event security and how the suspect was able to get inside the perimeter armed.

Blanche said the suspect “didn't get very far” before law enforcement intervened. “He barely broke the perimeter,” Blanche said. “And by barely, I mean by a few feet.”

U.S. Secret Service agents surround President Donald Trump, third from left, as he is taken from the stage after a shooting incident outside the ballroom during the White House Correspondents Dinner, Saturday, April 25, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)
Secret Service agents surround President Donald Trump, third from left, as he is taken from the stage after a shooting incident outside the ballroom during the White House Correspondents Dinner, Saturday, April 25, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)

According to officials, the suspect exchanged gunfire with Secret Service personnel before being taken into custody. One Secret Service officer was injured during the confrontation and taken to the hospital, where he was later stabilized and released.

President Donald Trump addressed the officer’s condition after the incident, saying the agent was “in very great shape” and credited the officer’s ballistic vest for limiting injuries.

Secret Service Director Sean Curran said the agency’s response demonstrated the effectiveness of its layered security strategy.



“Tonight we saw exactly what our brave men and women do each and every day to protect our protectees,” Curran said in a statement. “I'm grateful to our partners who help assist us with building these sites and protecting these sites.”

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Spencer Pratt said he won't rebuild the Pacific Palisades home he lost in last year’s wildfire if the city’s current leadership stays in power
3 hours ago
Following the SCOTUS' ruling, Louisiana lawmakers unveiled a new map that will eliminate one of the state's majority-Black congressional districts
4 hours ago
Shelby Campbell has supplemented her messaging with a steady stream of social media videos featuring twerking, lip-syncs, and political commentary
5 hours ago
Van Hollen asserted that the US does not need Beijing’s involvement to bring the Iran war to a close
5 hours ago
Heidi Montag said she fully supports Spencer Pratt’s mayoral run and believes he is 'the best man for the job'
6 hours ago
Joe Gruters claims 'Democrats are trying to cheat every single day’
6 hours ago
Lindsey Graham prioritizes stopping Iran over keeping GOP control, dismissing midterm poll risks
7 hours ago
John Kennedy said Donald Trump’s endorsement of Julia Letlow sealed Bill Cassidy’s fate in Louisiana
8 hours ago
Trump amplified viral posts tying Democratic leaders to immigration failures, crime concerns, and court backlash
8 hours ago
Chris Van Hollen questioned whether Patel’s future testimony can be trusted
8 hours ago