Alex Pretti reportedly broke a rib in encounter with ICE agents a week before he was shot

Reports said feds had documented Alex Pretti before his death, though DHS denied an earlier tackle claim as officials gathered protester data
Sources said Department of Homeland Security and Immigration and Customs Enforcement ordered agents to log protester details using new 'non-arrest' intel forms (Getty Images)
Sources said Department of Homeland Security and Immigration and Customs Enforcement ordered agents to log protester details using new 'non-arrest' intel forms (Getty Images)

MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA: Federal immigration officers had already documented information about Alex Pretti before he was shot and killed, according to sources who spoke to CNN. Authorities are also said to be quietly gathering personal details on protesters and agitators in Minneapolis. 

How Pretti first landed on the federal radar remains unclear. But sources told CNN that roughly a week before his death, he suffered a broken rib after being tackled by a group of federal officers while protesting their attempt to detain other individuals.

The Department of Homeland Security disputed that account.

In a statement, the agency said that “DHS law enforcement has no record of this incident.” According to a source familiar with the encounter, the earlier incident occurred after Pretti stopped his car when he saw Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents chasing what he described as a family on foot. He began shouting and blowing a whistle to draw attention, the source said on condition of anonymity.

A portrait stands at a memorial for Alex Pretti on January 25, 2026 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Pretti, an ICU nurse at a VA medical center, died on January 24 after being shot multiple times during an altercation with U.S. Border Patrol agents in the Eat Street district of Minneapolis. (Stephen Maturen/Getty Images)
A portrait stands at a memorial for Alex Pretti on January 25, 2026 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Pretti, an ICU nurse at a VA medical center, died on January 24 after being shot multiple times during an altercation with Border Patrol agents in the Eat Street district of Minneapolis (Stephen Maturen/Getty Images)

Pretti later told the source that five agents tackled him and that one officer leaned on his back, leaving him with a broken rib. He was released at the scene shortly afterward.

“That day, he thought he was going to die,” the source said. Medical records reviewed by CNN show Pretti was later given medication consistent with treatment for a broken rib.

DHS tracked protesters amid Minnesota enforcement crackdown

The earlier confrontation fits into what sources describe as an increasingly aggressive posture by federal agents toward protesters and observers, even as many such activities are broadly protected under the First Amendment.

Earlier this month, a DHS official in Minneapolis sent a memo to Immigration and Customs Enforcement Homeland Security Investigations officers temporarily assigned to Minnesota. The memo asked agents to document information on protesters and agitators using a standardized form.

The form, titled “intel collection non-arrests,” allows agents to record personal details of protesters and agitators they encounter, even when no arrest is made. It remains unclear whether other federal agencies operating in Minnesota are also using the same form. Previously, agents shared such information informally among themselves.

Another internal communication reviewed by CNN instructed agents to “capture all images, license plates, identifications, and general information on hotels, agitators, protestors, etc., so we can capture it all in one consolidated form.”



According to a source, Pretti’s name was known to federal agents prior to fatal encounter. However, it is unclear whether the new intake form was used to record his information. DHS has repeatedly warned of threats against federal officers during immigration enforcement operations and has criticized protesters for obstructing those efforts.

The department also promoted an online tip form encouraging the public to share information about people allegedly harassing Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers.

“When our law enforcement encounter a violent agitator who is breaking the law, obstructing law enforcement, or assaulting them, our law enforcement make records to advance prosecution. This is not ground breaking, it is standard protocol,” DHS Assistant Secretary Tricia McLaughlin said in a statement.

Protester database proposal raises new scrutiny 

It remains unclear whether the federal agents who confronted Alex Pretti on Saturday recognized him from the earlier incident before wrestling him to the ground, removing a gun from his waistband, and fatally shooting him.

Some Trump administration officials have publicly suggested building a database of protesters, though the Department of Homeland Security has not disclosed how information collected through the Minneapolis form is being used.



Border czar Tom Homan said, “One thing I’m pushing for right now … we’re going to create a database where those people that are arrested for interference, impeding, and assault, we’re going to make them famous,” adding that “we’re going to put their face on TV” and notify their employers and communities.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

JD Vance served in the US Marine Corps from 2003 to 2007 as a combat correspondent with the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing
1 hour ago
Preston Harp said Natalie Harp’s admiration for Donald Trump stems from their upbringing and the values their mother taught them
3 hours ago
Loomer’s strongest objection was directed at the suggestion that Harp and Trump are romantically involved
8 hours ago
The suspect was also reportedly refused service at a Dunkin’ while wearing the unusual mask
9 hours ago
English acknowledged that he had traveled to Washington with the intention of killing a government official
10 hours ago
Zimmerman rejected the suggestion that the blow happened merely as part of a struggle with security
12 hours ago
The store, described as a family-owned operation, was left dealing with the consequences after the crowd departed
14 hours ago
Disney has sued the FCC over early ABC license reviews, alleging retaliation by the Trump administration and warning that scrutiny is affecting political programming
14 hours ago
An 11-year-old boy criticized Donald Trump and referenced Jeffrey Epstein as he explained his anger toward the president in the widely shared footage
20 hours ago
'Hes with me every day even when I’m not thinking about him, he’s certainly part of my heart,' Jill Biden shared
21 hours ago