Alina Habba breaks silence on speculation she could replace Karoline Leavitt as press secretary
WASHINGTON, DC: Alina Habba has pushed back on speculation that she is seeking to replace Karoline Leavitt as Donald Trump’s White House press secretary.
Her denial came as Scott Jennings emerged as another prominent name in the race.
Leavitt announced last week that she would leave the role to spend more time with her family after the birth of her second child in May. Insiders also said Trump’s “incessant phone calls” during her maternity leave contributed to her decision.
Flattered by the Kalshi odds, but I’m not in the running for any job. However, if I’m getting a new one, I’d love for one of these anonymous sources to let me know first.
— Alina Habba (@AlinaHabba) August 19, 2026
Fake news remains the undefeated champ…well…until I come at them 😉
Alina Habba shuts down press secretary speculation
Alina Habba, 42, was briefly the favorite on betting site Kalshi, which gave her a 41.2 percent chance of becoming the next White House press secretary on Wednesday.
She quickly rejected the speculation.
“Flattered by the Kalshi odds, but I'm not in the running for any job,” Habba wrote Wednesday evening. “However, if I'm getting a new one, I'd love for one of these anonymous sources to let me know first. Fake news remains the undefeated champ… well… until I come at them.”
Her odds subsequently dropped to 7 percent.
The denial came despite other signs that Habba could be part of the race. She recently said whoever “gets that podium next better come ready for a fight they have big shoes to fill.”
Habba also attended a dinner at Donald Trump’s Bedminster golf course over the weekend that was reportedly attended by potential candidates.
Alina Habba spotted at Trump’s Bedminster golf resort this weekend.
— PatriotTakes 🇺🇸 (@patriottakes) August 16, 2026
Rumors are swirling that she may be chosen to become the new White House press secretary. pic.twitter.com/fECrWyddUi
One source described it as resembling an episode of ‘The Apprentice’ and said, “It reeks of desperation.”
Scott Jennings reportedly wants the job
Scott Jennings, 48, is also attracting attention as Trump’s team searches for Leavitt’s replacement.
The CNN conservative pundit, who previously worked for George W Bush and later served as an aide to Republican Sen Mitch McConnell, has become one of Trump’s most vocal television defenders.
The Daily Mail reported that Jennings secretly met with White House Deputy Chief of Staff Susie Wiles at least twice to discuss the position.
One meeting reportedly took place before Leavitt announced her departure.
Sources said Wiles considers Jennings her preferred candidate. “They speak often,” one source said, while another claimed, “The job is his if he wants it. And he does.”
Jennings has not publicly confirmed that he wants the job, but his recent television appearances have fueled speculation that he is effectively auditioning for the role.
Scott Jennings faces pushback after defending Trump
Jennings recently came under fire after defending Trump against Democratic Sen. Jon Ossoff’s criticism of the president’s closeness with his personal assistant, Natalie Harp.
Jennings called Ossoff a “disgusting coward” and accused him of “insinuating the only possible reason [Harp] could have a job in politics is because she's a concubine for a politician.”
CNN host Laura Coates pushed back, pointing out that Trump has repeatedly attacked female journalists for far worse.
Trump may still prefer a woman
Jennings is not the only contender. Trump has privately indicated that he wants another woman to replace Leavitt.
Other names include Natalie Harp, Deputy Press Secretary Anna Kelly, Homeland Security spokesperson Katie Zacharia, Tricia McLaughlin, RNC spokesperson Elizabeth Pipko and former Kennedy Center spokesperson Roman Davari.
The men reportedly in contention include Bill Pulte, Matthew Boyle and White House Communications Director Steven Cheung.