Axelrod says Obama aides brushed off Trump’s ballroom proposal

Axelrod details 2010 offer to replace 'shitty little tents' for state dinners
PUBLISHED 1 HOUR AGO
David Axelrod said a 2010 Trump proposal to build a White House ballroom was ignored by Obama aides (Getty Images)
David Axelrod said a 2010 Trump proposal to build a White House ballroom was ignored by Obama aides (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: Former White House senior adviser David Axelrod stated on Tuesday, February 17, that Donald Trump proposed building a ballroom at the White House several years before entering politics.

In an interview with The New York Times, Axelrod described a conversation from 2010 in which Trump suggested constructing a modular ballroom to replace the temporary tents that were then being used for state dinners.

This outreach reportedly occurred after the cleanup following the BP oil spill. Axelrod noted that Trump expressed interest in funding a new event space suitable for hosting foreign leaders. However, according to Axelrod, the proposal did not progress after it was relayed to the White House social secretary, and no follow-up took place during the Obama administration.

An excavator works to clear rubble after the East Wing of the White House was demolished on October 23, 2025 in Washington, DC. The demolition is part of U.S. President Donald Trump's plan to build a multimillion-dollar ballroom on the eastern side of the White House.
Demolition on the East Wing began late last year to make way for a new, privately funded $400 million ballroom (Getty Images)

Trump touted expertise in ballroom construction

Axelrod recalled that Trump emphasized his experience building large-scale event spaces. “I build ballrooms, I build the greatest — you can ask anybody, my ballrooms are the greatest ballrooms,” Trump said at the time, according to Axelrod’s account. Trump also criticized the existing setup, referring to the outdoor tents used for state functions in blunt terms.

(X@davidaxelrod)
David Axelrod revealed that Trump’s interest in building a White House ballroom dates back to the early years of the Obama administration (X@davidaxelrod)

The proposal involved a modular structure that could be assembled for major events and dismantled afterward. Axelrod said he told Trump he would relay the idea internally, but no formal discussions followed. The plan remained dormant during the remainder of the Obama presidency.

Private funding sparks modern structural concerns

More than a decade later, Trump announced a significantly larger and permanent ballroom project valued at roughly $400 million. The current initiative, funded primarily through private donations, would expand White House event capacity beyond existing rooms.

WINSTON-SALEM, NC - OCTOBER 27:  Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton (L) and U.S. firs
Former First Ladies Michelle Obama and Hillary Clinton are among those who have expressed concerns over the permanent changes to the White House (Getty Images)

The project has drawn criticism from some lawmakers, former officials and preservation advocates since demolition work began on the East Wing late last year.

Critics, including Hillary Clinton and Michelle Obama, have raised concerns about preserving the architectural character of the executive mansion. Axelrod has publicly criticized the move, arguing that a modular approach would have been less disruptive than a permanent expansion.

Administration defends historic gift to nation

The Trump administration has defended the construction project, describing it as a long-term investment in the infrastructure of the White House. The President stated that the project cannot be reversed at this point, emphasizing that materials such as bulletproof glass, reinforced roofing, and marble have already been ordered.

“Congress never tried, or wanted, to stop the Ballroom Project!” Trump said in a recent statement, adding that the scale and scope of the addition were widely known. He described the ballroom as a lasting upgrade intended to modernize the White House’s capacity to host large diplomatic gatherings.

(White House.gov)
Trump defended the project on social media, stating that all materials have been ordered and it is 'too late' to turn back (White House.gov)

Impact on White House historical preservation

Opponents contend that the proposed East Wing alterations constitute a substantial modification to a historic structure and raise a question of whether the need for expanded capacity warrants a permanent change. Supporters respond that modernization is essential to meet contemporary security, technological, and hosting requirements.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Hillary Clinton says delays shield elites as she, Bill Clinton face testimony
9 minutes ago
Former leaders laud Rev Jesse Jackson’s ‘selfless’ mentorship and lifelong service
19 minutes ago
Former Georgia lawmaker alleges calculated social media nods to sway supporters
55 minutes ago
Jamieson Greer says administration has backup plans if court voids tariffs if struck down in SC
1 hour ago
President pays tribute to civil rights icon, noting criminal justice and HBCU initiatives
2 hours ago
Greene claimed months of pressure from Trump and GOP leaders to drop a petition pushing for transparency on Jeffrey Epstein’s files
8 hours ago
On Presidents Day, Pelosi calls for reflection on leadership, democracy, and the nation’s founding principles and civic responsibilities
10 hours ago
President Donald Trump accused Democrats of opposing voter ID and proof of citizenship while backing mail-in ballots despite strong public support
10 hours ago
Brit Hume questioned AOC’s grasp of foreign policy, highlighting errors on Venezuela and Taiwan during her Munich appearance
10 hours ago
The party omitted Clinton and Truman from its Presidents’ Day tribute, drawing criticism and fueling speculation about the snub’s motivation
11 hours ago