Bari Weiss defends pulling investigative 'Inside CECOT' segment: 'Our viewers come first'

Bari Weiss argued that the segment wasn't ready because it mirrored previous reports by reputable publications and needed 'more' work done on it
Bari Weiss, the Editor-in-Chief of CBS News, addressed axing the '60 Minutes' segment, saying, 'Our viewers come first, not a listing schedule' (Getty Images)
Bari Weiss, the Editor-in-Chief of CBS News, addressed axing the '60 Minutes' segment, saying, 'Our viewers come first, not a listing schedule' (Getty Images)

NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK: CBS News Editor-in-Chief Bari Weiss received a lot of backlash for her '60 Minutes' segment after a report about Venezuelan deportees from El Salvador was pulled at the last minute. 

Weiss also claimed that CNN had reached out to the White House for comment on the story, but didn’t hear back.

However, on Monday, December 22, she addressed her decision as Editor-in-Chief, and said that the story was “not ready,” according to The Wall Street Journal. 

Bari Weiss speaks onstage during Book Club Event With Peggy Noonan on November 19, 2024 in New York City. (Photo by Noam Galai/Getty Images for The Free Press)
Bari Weiss speaks onstage during Book Club Event With Peggy Noonan on November 19, 2024, in New York City (Noam Galai/Getty Images for The Free Press)

Bari Weiss says 'our viewers come first'

On Monday, The Wall Street Journal reviewed a network-wide editorial call, during which Bari Weiss explained why she pulled the deportees story from ‘60 Minutes’.

She told staffers during the call that she held the story because she felt it wasn’t ready, adding that it had already been reported by other reputable publications such as the New York Times.



She added that if they wanted to run a story on the same subject, two months late, “we simply need to do more.”

Sharyn Alfonsi, a CBS correspondent, criticized Weiss’ decision and called it “political.”

Reacting to the same, Weiss said that to her, "our viewers come first, not a listing schedule." She added that it was her “North Star” as it should be everyone else’s.

NEW YORK, NY - SEPTEMBER 13: The CBS Broadcast Center stands in Manhattan on September 13, 2018 in New York City. The popular television network has been under scrutiny since allegations of sexual misconduct forced out Jeff Fager, the longtime executive producer of
The CBS Broadcast Center stands in Manhattan on September 13, 2018, in New York City (Spencer Platt/Getty Images)

Weiss also stated that the “only newsroom” she was interested in running was one where correspondents could have “contentious disagreements” about the “thorniest editorial matters” with respect and with the “best intent of our colleagues.”

Sharyn Alfonsi blasts Bari Weiss over axed segment

According to an internal memo shared by The Wall Street Journal, Sharyn Alfonsi said that she had only learned about Weiss spiking her story, 'Inside CECOT', the day before it was set to air.  

AUSTIN, TEXAS - NOVEMBER 09: Sharyn Alfonsi, Correspondent, 60 Minutes reacts in conversation with José Andrés, Chef, Humanitarian & Founder, World Central Kitchen during 2022 Texas Conference For Women at Austin Convention Center on November 09, 2022 in Austin, Texas. (Photo by Marla Aufmuth/Getty Images for Texas Conference for Women)
Sharyn Alfonsi, Correspondent, '60 Minutes' reacts in conversation with José Andrés, Chef, Humanitarian & Founder, World Central Kitchen during the 2022 Texas Conference For Women at Austin Convention Center on November 09, 2022 in Austin, Texas (Marla Aufmuth/Getty Images for Texas Conference for Women)

Alfonsi also stated that she had asked to speak to Weiss about the same, but the CBS Editor-in-Chief could not “afford” her that courtesy. 

“In my view, pulling it now after every rigorous internal check has been met is not an editorial decision. It is a political one,” she added. 

Alfonsi also said that the story was factual and had been “screened” five times and cleared by CBS attorneys and “Standards and Practices.”

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Bill Maher said America should return to 'stealing hard-working, talented immigrants from around the world and making them Americans'
2 days ago
Joe Rogan blasted the plan, calling the $100,000 monthly price tag 'crazy' and suggesting it was essentially a cash grab
4 days ago
Joe Rogan joked about how the press might have reacted and imagined how Trump could respond if the aircraft had been attacked
5 days ago
Tucker Carlson previously accused Hunter and Joe Biden of corruption and criticized Hunter's overseas business dealings
7 days ago
Bill Maher criticized Wisconsin Democrat Francesca Hong over remarks about her biracial son and her 'proximity to whiteness'
Aug 9, 2026
Megyn Kelly took particular issue with Whoopi Goldberg appearing to suggest that she understood the 'plight of working people'
Aug 7, 2026
Madeleine Carlisle exited amid major staff upheaval, as key correspondents and editors departed in cuts staff reportedly dubbed 'Black Thursday'
Aug 5, 2026
While the internet was busy searching for a political message, Torres appears to have been thinking about something considerably less complicated
Aug 4, 2026
The claim gained traction as New York City continues to debate expanding publicly-supported grocery initiatives under Mamdani
Aug 1, 2026
The Trump ally said JD Vance's ceasefire deal trapped the administration in a cycle of talks, Iranian violations ,and US retaliatory strikes
Jul 31, 2026