Bernie Sanders blasts Trump after court admission on grant: 'It's authoritarianism'

The Vermont senator said a court filing admitting some green energy grants were canceled based on recipient states' politics exposed 'authoritarian' conduct
Sanders wrote on X 'using taxpayer dollars to reward political allies and punish opponents is not democracy.' (Getty Images)
Sanders wrote on X 'using taxpayer dollars to reward political allies and punish opponents is not democracy.' (Getty Images)


WASHINGTON, DC: Senator Bernie Sanders accused the Trump administration of acting like an authoritarian government after a court filing acknowledged that a tranche of federal green energy grant cancellations was selected solely based on the political identity of recipient states.

The Vermont independent said the filing confirmed long-standing Democratic accusations. He argued the admission raised fresh questions about how taxpayer money was used in deciding which projects were cut.

Bernie Sanders cites court filing

Writing on X on Saturday, July 25, Sanders declared, "The Trump administration admitted in court that it canceled billions of dollars in federal funding 'based solely' on whether a state voted for Trump."

He continued, "Using taxpayer dollars to reward political allies and punish opponents is not democracy. It's authoritarianism."

Sanders' remarks followed a recent court filing from Department of Energy lawyer Jeff Novak detailing how hundreds of green energy grants were reviewed for termination.

According to Novak, the Department of Energy initially identified 624 grants for possible cancellation. 

INDIO, CALIFORNIA - APRIL 12: (FOR EDITORIAL USE ONLY) Bernie Sanders speaks onstage at the Outdoor Theatreon April 12, 2025 in Indio, California. (Photo by Matt Winkelmeyer/Getty Images for Coachella)
Bernie Sanders speaks onstage at the Outdoor Theatreon April 12, 2025 in Indio, California (Matt Winkelmeyer/Getty Images for Coachella)

He said the White House Office of Management and Budget selected 284 of those grants for an October tranche of terminations, while the remaining 340 grants were not canceled.

Novak wrote, "DOE accepts that the inclusion of grants in the October notice tranche was based solely on the political identity of the grant recipient's state."

He also stated that the grants' inclusion was not "based on any programmatic, statutory, cost-reduction, or performance-based factor."

Democrats say filing validates concerns

The filing also said that political identity was not considered when the Department of Energy created its original list of 624 potential cancellations.

Novak indicated that the political consideration came when OMB chose which grants would ultimately be included in the October notice.

Last year, OMB Director Russell Vought announced nearly $8 billion in green energy funding cuts, highlighting grants in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Vermont and Washington.

Energy Department defends Chris Wright

Energy Secretary Chris Wright has repeatedly testified on Capitol Hill that although the announcement's timing may have been political, the actual grant selections were not.

Energy Department spokesperson Ben Dietderich defended those statements in an email, saying, "None of the termination decisions were based on political considerations."

He added that Wright's previous testimony "are still correct."

Top Democratic appropriators rejected that explanation after the filing became public.

WASHINGTON, DC - JANUARY 09: U.S. Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a meeting with oil and gas executives in the East Room of the White House on January 9, 2026 in Washington, DC. Trump is holding the meeting to discuss plans for investment in Venezuela after ousting its leader Nicolás Maduro. (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)
Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a meeting with oil and gas executives in the East Room of the White House on January 9, 2026 in Washington, DC (Alex Wong/Getty Images)

"This administration has now admitted in court what has long been obvious: it terminated nearly 300 cost-cutting energy projects for no reason other than the fact that the states they were in did not vote for the president in the 2024 election," Sen Patty Murray of Washington and Rep Marcy Kaptur of Ohio said in a joint statement.

They added, "This is an astounding admission that the president and his team corruptly abused their power to kill good jobs and punish hard-working families because of their political views."

Senator Patty Murray, (D-WA) speaks to reporters following the passage of a spending bill on January 30, 2026 (Cover Image Source: Getty Images | Photo by Tom Brenner)
Senator Patty Murray, (D-WA) speaks to reporters following the passage of a spending bill on January 30, 2026 (Getty Images)

The lawmakers also targeted Wright's earlier testimony, saying, "Secretary Wright swore up and down for months that these project terminations had absolutely nothing to do with politics, and now his lawyers are declaring that, in fact, politics was the only consideration."

The latest filing goes further than a similar filing last year by stating the grants were selected "based solely" on politics.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Heidi Overton has helped shape Trump’s health policies and faced criticism from MAHA advocates over several administration initiatives
2 hours ago
The UN-authorized Omani route is opposed by Iran, but vessels increasingly use it despite risks, relying on US naval forces for protection
4 hours ago
David Morens admitted to using a personal email account to conduct government business and circumvent federal public-records laws
5 hours ago
The USS Benfold lost power in the South China Sea, disrupting water, food, air conditioning and toilets before it was towed to the Philippines
6 hours ago
Haley Van Erem alleges some university investigations lacked evidence of Title VI violations and were steered toward settlements
8 hours ago
Trump acknowledged that no peace talks are underway with Tehran as the 60-day deadline for reaching a permanent ceasefire expired
13 hours ago
A Democratic senator’s jab at Trump’s close aide sparked a fierce White House response as fresh scrutiny surrounds Harp’s unusually prominent role
14 hours ago
Last month, Rubio escalated the administration’s fight against the ICC, calling it a State Department-led campaign to dismantle the court
14 hours ago
Sean Spicer says Trump’s next press secretary will likely need his trust, understand his communication style and already have a close relationship with him
15 hours ago
Judge Brian E Murphy rejected a bid to delay ending TPS for about 5,000 Ethiopians as their legal challenge continues
15 hours ago