Bitcoin account tied to first Nancy Guthrie ransom note saw 'activity', TMZ's Harvey Levin reveals

Harvey Levin said the ransom note set deadlines to send funds, including a $6M demand, but deadlines passed without any payment made by the family
Harvey Levin confirmed the account originated from the first ransom note but did not link the activity to newly released surveillance footage showing a masked individual near Nancy Guthrie’s home (Screengrab/@OutFrontCNN/X, Getty Images)
Harvey Levin confirmed the account originated from the first ransom note but did not link the activity to newly released surveillance footage showing a masked individual near Nancy Guthrie’s home (Screengrab/@OutFrontCNN/X, Getty Images)


TUCSON, ARIZONA: New developments have emerged in the disappearance of Nancy Guthrie after an activity was detected in a Bitcoin account linked to a purported ransom note sent to media outlets. 

The activity has raised further questions as law enforcement continues to investigate the case. Nancy, the 84-year-old mother of 'Today' show host Savannah Guthrie, has been missing since January 31, and investigators believe she was taken against her will.

The picture showed Nancy Guthrie, Savannah Guthrie, and Annie Guthrie smiling for the camera (@savannahguthrie/Instagram)
The picture showed Nancy Guthrie, Savannah Guthrie, and Annie Guthrie smiling for the camera (@savannahguthrie/Instagram)

Harvey Levin reports Bitcoin account activity in Nancy Guthrie ransom case

TMZ founder Harvey Levin told CNN that the Bitcoin account attached to the first ransom note for Nancy saw activity late Tuesday, February 10. Levin’s outlet received a purported ransom letter last Tuesday, along with several other media outlets.

He claimed the note set a Monday night deadline to send $6 million to a Bitcoin account, but that deadline has now passed. However, videos released by Savannah and her siblings have claimed the possible kidnapper had not given them a mode of communication.

According to Levin, the Bitcoin account saw activity on Tuesday, Feb 10, around 7.15 pm ET. “About twelve minutes ago, we saw activity in that account,” Levin told CNN’s Erin Burnett.



When pressed for more details about the nature of the activity, Levin said he could not clarify further, “Well, it would only show, as I understand this, money going in. And the only thing you would see is money. And Erin, that’s all I can say.”

KGUN 9, a local station that also received one of the notes, similarly claimed to have seen activity in the account linked to the ransom letter. The outlet reported that the activity was less than $300.

Law enforcement have not confirmed the credibility of the ransom notes despite being pressed on the matter during a Thursday press conference.

Investigators find a ‘start point’ in search for Nancy Guthrie (@savannahguthrie/Instagram)
Investigators found a ‘start point’ in search for Nancy Guthrie (@savannahguthrie/Instagram)

Ransom note and ongoing investigation into Nancy Guthrie’s disappearance

Videos and images released by the FBI on Tuesday, February 10, in the case gave investigators and the public their first glimpse of who was outside her home. In one of the videos, a person wearing a backpack and a ski mask can be seen tilting their head down and away from a doorbell camera while nearing an archway at Nancy's home.

The footage also shows the person holding a flashlight in their mouth and attempting to cover the camera with a gloved hand and part of a plant ripped from her yard. The images, however, do not show what happened to Nancy or help determine her condition.

Authorities have said DNA tests showed that blood found on her porch was hers. Officials have also stated that Nancy has high blood pressure and issues with mobility and her heart, and she requires daily medication.



Levin previously shared a line from an alleged ransom note connected to Nancy’s disappearance, saying, “I’ll read you one line from the ransom note we received” during an interview with Burnett after a second ransom deadline had passed.

He said, “They say, ‘It is in the best interest of everyone to have this completed as soon as possible.’”

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Kai Trump described the extra time they spent together during the summer as a 'blessing in disguise'
6 hours ago
Natalie Harp’s brother said her loyalty to Donald Trump reflects their mother’s worldview, which she recognized in Trump’s 'America First' agenda
7 hours ago
JD Vance served in the US Marine Corps from 2003 to 2007 as a combat correspondent with the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing
11 hours ago
Preston Harp said Natalie Harp’s admiration for Donald Trump stems from their upbringing and the values their mother taught them
13 hours ago
Loomer’s strongest objection was directed at the suggestion that Harp and Trump are romantically involved
18 hours ago
The suspect was also reportedly refused service at a Dunkin’ while wearing the unusual mask
19 hours ago
English acknowledged that he had traveled to Washington with the intention of killing a government official
20 hours ago
Zimmerman rejected the suggestion that the blow happened merely as part of a struggle with security
22 hours ago
The store, described as a family-owned operation, was left dealing with the consequences after the crowd departed
23 hours ago
Disney has sued the FCC over early ABC license reviews, alleging retaliation by the Trump administration and warning that scrutiny is affecting political programming
1 day ago