Bovino rejects criticism over detained 5-year-old, claims agents are trained to deal with children

Border Patrol Chief Gregory Bovino rejected child separation claims, stating that the five‑year‑old Liam Conejo Ramos stayed with family
Border Patrol Chief Gregory Bovino defended ICE after detaining a child, saying agents were trained to handle minors as protests spread across Minneapolis (Columbia Heights Public Schools, Getty Images)
Border Patrol Chief Gregory Bovino defended ICE after detaining a child, saying agents were trained to handle minors as protests spread across Minneapolis (Columbia Heights Public Schools, Getty Images)


MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA: Border Patrol Chief Gregory Bovino forcefully defended Immigration and Customs Enforcement after the detention of a 5-year-old boy and his father in Minnesota this week, insisting that federal agents were trained and experienced in handling encounters involving children.

The comments came as protests grew across the Twin Cities over ICE’s enforcement actions and renewed scrutiny fell on the agency’s conduct during arrests involving families.

Border Patrol chief responds to backlash over child detention

Speaking at a press conference on Friday, Bovino addressed questions surrounding the detention of Liam Conejo Ramos and his father Adrian Alexander Conejo Arias who were taken into custody after returning home from the child’s preschool earlier this week.

“I will say unequivocally that we are experts in dealing with children,” Bovino said. “Let me say that again, experts in dealing with children, not because we want to be, but because we have to be.”



The detentions occurred amid a broader immigration enforcement push in the Minneapolis area under the Trump administration, which had drawn fierce opposition from local officials, school leaders and community groups.

Bovino pushed back strongly against reports suggesting that the child had been separated from his family, calling those accounts inaccurate.

“That 5-year-old remains with his family,” he said. “Let me say that again: remains with his family. We know that that false media narrative that was pushed out yesterday was, well, it was false.”



In defending the agency’s handling of children, Bovino cited a July operation in Southern California in which ICE agents recovered minors during raids on cannabis farms.

“How about the 14 that we recovered at that pot farm a few months ago in Camarillo, California?” Bovino said.

“The 14 lost children t********d across the border that were found working illegally on a pot farm in California. Very little reporting from the Minneapolis news media here. I didn’t really hear much from you guys,” he claimed.

He argued that such cases demonstrated why agents needed to be prepared to encounter children during enforcement operations.



uring his remarks, Bovino also repeated a claim frequently cited by Republicans, accusing the Biden administration of losing “300,000 children” to t********g across the southern border.

Gregory Bovino vows to continue ICE operations 

Despite growing demonstrations and criticism from local leaders, Bovino made it clear that federal immigration agents will not withdraw from Minneapolis.

“That is what we‘re here to do and we‘re not going to be deterred in doing that,” he said. “We are going to take these criminal, illegal aliens off the street and make America a safer place, make Minneapolis a safer place again, that is why we‘re here.”

MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA - JANUARY 14: Federal agents guard a perimeter following a shooting incident as angry residents protest their presence in the city on January 14, 2026 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. According to reports, a federal agent shot a Venezuelan man who was resisting arrest. The Trump administration has sent a reported 2,000 federal plus federal agents into the area, with more on the way, as they make a push to arrest undocumented immigrants in the region. The Trump administration has sent a reported 2,000 federal plus federal agents into the area, with more on the way, as they make a push to arrest undocumented immigrants in the region. (Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)
Federal agents guard a perimeter following a shooting incident as angry residents protest their presence in the city on January 14, 2026 in Minneapolis, Minnesota (Scott Olson/Getty Images)

As protests continue, the detention of Ramos has become a flashpoint in the broader debate over ICE’s tactics particularly when enforcement actions intersect with schools and young children.

District officials said Ramos is at least the fourth child in the neighborhood to be detained by ICE in recent weeks.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

JD Vance served in the US Marine Corps from 2003 to 2007 as a combat correspondent with the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing
1 hour ago
Preston Harp said Natalie Harp’s admiration for Donald Trump stems from their upbringing and the values their mother taught them
4 hours ago
Loomer’s strongest objection was directed at the suggestion that Harp and Trump are romantically involved
9 hours ago
The suspect was also reportedly refused service at a Dunkin’ while wearing the unusual mask
9 hours ago
English acknowledged that he had traveled to Washington with the intention of killing a government official
11 hours ago
Zimmerman rejected the suggestion that the blow happened merely as part of a struggle with security
12 hours ago
The store, described as a family-owned operation, was left dealing with the consequences after the crowd departed
14 hours ago
Disney has sued the FCC over early ABC license reviews, alleging retaliation by the Trump administration and warning that scrutiny is affecting political programming
14 hours ago
An 11-year-old boy criticized Donald Trump and referenced Jeffrey Epstein as he explained his anger toward the president in the widely shared footage
20 hours ago
'Hes with me every day even when I’m not thinking about him, he’s certainly part of my heart,' Jill Biden shared
21 hours ago