Colbert fires back at giant CBS over killed Talarico interview: 'Stand up to these bullies'
NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK: Late-night host Stephen Colbert used his opening monologue on Tuesday, February 17, to directly challenge his own network, CBS, after it publicly disputed his account of why an interview with a Texas Democrat did not air on 'The Late Show'.
What began as a programming decision has now evolved into a pointed on-air disagreement, with Colbert accusing the network of contradicting language that its own lawyers had previously approved.
The controversy stems from an interview Colbert taped with James Talarico, who is currently running in the Democratic primary for a Senate seat in Texas.
Although the interview was recorded, it did not air during Monday’s broadcast. Instead, the full conversation was posted online through the show’s digital platforms.
🔥 Stephen Colbert DEFIANTLY scrunches press release, then puts it into a POOP BAG after slamming his home network, CBS, for releasing a statement denying it pulled his interview with Rep. James Talarico off Sunday night’s broadcast, a move he says was done without his knowledge! pic.twitter.com/ZFa1l6ncJT
— TV News Now (@TVNewsNow) February 18, 2026
Stephen Colbert says monologue was lawyer approved
Addressing the statement by CBS at the top of Tuesday’s program, Colbert held up a printed copy and made clear he disagreed with the network’s framing.
He told viewers that “every word” of his Monday monologue on the issue had been “approved by CBS’s lawyers who for the record approve every script that goes on the air.”
Colbert went further, describing what he said was an unusual backstage intervention.
“Between the monologue I did last night, and before I did the second act talking about this issue, I had to go backstage,” he said.
“I got called backstage to get more notes from these lawyers, something that had never ever happened before, and they told us the language they wanted me to use to describe that equal time exception. And I used that language. So, I don’t know what this is about,” Colbert clarified.
The Late Show averages about 2 million viewers. @JamesTalarico’s banned interview with Stephen Colbert has over 40 million views on his social media pages alone.
— Antonio Esparza (@AntonioAEsparza) February 18, 2026
Generational backfire. https://t.co/PvjHuGCvAC
His remarks suggested frustration not only with the statement itself but also with how it was released.
Stephen Colbert calls out Paramount over statement
Despite the pointed criticism, Colbert insisted he was not seeking a fight with the network.
“I’m not even mad,” he said. “I really don’t want an adversarial relationship with the network. I’ve never had one.”
At the same time, he expressed surprise that a large media company would not more forcefully push back against regulatory concerns.
“I’m just so surprised that this giant global corporation would not stand up to these bullies,” Colbert said. “Come on, you’re Paramount! No! You’re more than that, you’re Paramount Plus.”
The audience reacted audibly, prompting Colbert to add, “Plus what? I guess we’re all going to find out pretty soon.”
He closed the segment by criticizing the decision to release the statement without speaking to him first.
This is the interview Donald Trump didn’t want you to see.
— James Talarico (@jamestalarico) February 17, 2026
His FCC refused to air my interview with Stephen Colbert.
Trump is worried we’re about to flip Texas. pic.twitter.com/BCev5jZbKc
“And for the lawyers to release this without even talking to me is really surprising,” he said. “I don’t even know what to do with this.”
In a visual punchline, Colbert sealed the printed statement inside a plastic bag and dropped it into a trash can on stage.
Legal concerns and the equal-time rule
On Monday night, Colbert told viewers that he had been advised that he “could not have” Talarico on the broadcast.
According to him, network attorneys referenced comments from Brendan Carr of the Federal Communications Commission regarding the potential application of the FCC’s equal-time rule to talk shows.
The equal-time rule generally requires broadcast stations to offer comparable airtime to legally qualified candidates running for the same office, though exemptions exist depending on the format and context of the appearance.
CBS issued a statement on Tuesday pushing back on Colbert’s description of events.
The network said 'The Late Show' “was not prohibited” from airing the interview and explained that legal guidance had been provided outlining possible equal-time implications involving other candidates, including Rep Jasmine Crockett.
According to the statement, the show ultimately chose to release the interview online rather than pursue on-air equal-time options.