Stephen Colbert dunks on CBS after it blocks Texas Dem James Talarico's interview: 'FCC You!'
NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK: Late-night host Stephen Colbert tore into his own network Monday, February 16, accusing CBS of caving to legal fears after its lawyers barred him from interviewing a sitting Texas lawmaker due to new federal guidance from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
Opening The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, Colbert introduced his band and guest Jennifer Garner before dropping the bombshell.
“You know who is not one of my guests tonight? That’s Texas state representative James Talarico,” he told the audience.
Stephen Colbert claims CBS stopped James Talarico's appearance
According to Colbert, Talarico had been scheduled to appear but CBS lawyers intervened directly.
“We were told in no uncertain terms by our network’s lawyers that we could not have him on the broadcast,” Colbert said.
He added that he was initially told he couldn’t even mention the cancellation on air.
Stephen Colbert denounces the FCC for its equal time policy, "And you know who is not one of my guests tonight? That's Texas State Representative James Talarico. He was supposed to be here. But we were told in no uncertain terms by our network's lawyers who called us directly… pic.twitter.com/vpw9DPXJLA
— Alex Christy (@alexchristy17) February 17, 2026
“Because my network clearly does not want us to talk about this, Let’s talk about this”, Colbert said.
Stephen Colbert targets Trump, FCC Chair Brendan Carr
Colbert made clear he believes the real issue isn’t simply legal caution from CBS, but what he views as a broader attempt by federal regulators to intimidate late-night television.
At the center of his frustration is FCC Chairman Brendan Carr, whose recent communication to broadcasters raised questions about whether comedy and entertainment programs can automatically claim the long-standing “bonafide news” exemption to the equal-time rule.
Instead of treating late-night appearances as routine political interviews, as has largely been the case for decades, Carr suggested regulators could examine whether booking decisions are politically motivated. Colbert framed that as a veiled warning shot.
Looking directly into the camera, he mocked the chairman’s authority before delivering his now-viral line: “FCC you!”
The crowd erupted, but Colbert wasn't done yet.
He argued that the move reflects a broader climate in which critical voices on broadcast television are being pressured, singling out President Donald Trump as someone he claims is particularly sensitive to televised criticism.
This is the interview Donald Trump didn’t want you to see.
— James Talarico (@jamestalarico) February 17, 2026
His FCC refused to air my interview with Stephen Colbert.
Trump is worried we’re about to flip Texas. pic.twitter.com/BCev5jZbKc
Colbert also referenced fellow host Jimmy Kimmel as another late-night figure potentially caught in the regulatory crosshairs.
When Carr publicly suggested that hosts uncomfortable with broadcast rules could move to cable or streaming platforms, Colbert seized on the irony, noting that the official responsible for regulating network television appeared to be encouraging talent to abandon it.
CBS comes under fire
While Colbert aimed much of his ire at Carr, he also openly criticized CBS for what he described as preemptively enforcing guidance that has not formally eliminated the late-night exemption.
“He hasn’t done away with it yet, but my network is unilaterally enforcing it as if he had,” Colbert said, before delivering a pointed jab at CBS’ previously stated reason for canceling his show, which is set to conclude in May.
“I want to assure you, this decision is for ‘purely financial reasons,’” he said sarcastically.
Colbert also claimed the rule barred “any candidate appearance including by voice or picture,” joking that he was “absolutely not allowed” to show a photo of Talarico.
Instead, he displayed what he described as a stock image labeled “not James Talarico.”
The host said the interview would still be available on the show’s YouTube page, though he added, to further jeers, that he was not permitted to provide a URL or QR code on air.
He ended the segment with another swipe at Carr, joking that while he couldn’t show images of Talarico, he could display “this tasteful nude of Brendan Carr,” as an AI-generated image flashed on screen to audience applause.