FFC chair Brendan Carr says Jimmy Kimmel was canceled due to poor ratings and not government pressure

FCC clears the air on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' and it’s not the explanation many were expecting
PUBLISHED SEP 23, 2025
Brendan Carr says poor ratings, not government pressure, led to the suspension of Jimmy Kimmel (@BrendanCarrFCC/X, Jimmy Kimmel/Getty Images)
Brendan Carr says poor ratings, not government pressure, led to the suspension of Jimmy Kimmel (@BrendanCarrFCC/X, Jimmy Kimmel/Getty Images)

NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK: Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Chair Brendan Carr, on September 22, said that government pressure did not play any role in the suspension of the late-night talk show host Jimmy Kimmel.

Kimmel faced a lot of criticism for his remarks about Charlie Kirk following which ABC decided to suspend his show.

However, six days after his suspension, following talks between Kimmel and ABC, reports claim that the talk show host is set to return.

Brendan Carr's statement on Jimmy Kimmel's suspension 

NEW YORK, NEW YORK - SEPTEMBER 22: Brendan Carr, Chairman, FCC, speaks onstage during the 2025 Concordia Annual Summit at Sheraton New York Times Square on September 22, 2025 in New York City. (Photo by John Lamparski/Getty Images for Concordia Annual Summit)
Brendan Carr, Chairman, FCC, speaks onstage during the 2025 Concordia Annual Summit at Sheraton New York Times Square on September 22, 2025 in New York City (John Lamparski/Getty Images for Concordia Annual Summit)

"Jimmy Kimmel is in the situation that he is in because of his ratings, not because of anything that's happened at the federal government level," Carr said at a forum in New York.

Carr sparked a row when he commented, "We can do this the easy way or the hard way," urging Disney and ABC affiliates to take action against Kimmel, which drew criticisms from lawmakers. 

Carr, a Trump appointee, even threatened to cancel the broadcast license of these channels during a conservative podcast on September 17. He then accused Kimmel of "the sickest conduct possible" and demanded an apology.

Cancellation of Jimmy Kimmel's show

(@Jimmy Kimmel Live/YouTube)
Disney has announced the return of 'Jimmy Kimmel Live' (@Jimmy Kimmel Live/YouTube)

Carr’s latest statement followed Disney’s announcement on September 22 that the show will be returning after having a conversation with Kimmel.

The company last week announced the cancellation of the show "to avoid further inflaming a tense situation at an emotional moment for our country," which ABC later suspended on September 17 following Carr’s threat.

Dozens of channels affiliated with ABC agreed not to broadcast the show, including Nextstar, which criticized Kimmel’s words as "offensive and insensitive at a critical time in our national political discourse".

Anna Gomez rejects Brendan Carr's statement 

Anna Gomez (@AGomezFCC)
Anna Gomez rejected Brendan Carr's statement (@AGomezFCC/X)

Anna Gomez, the Democratic FCC commissioner, on September 22, rejected Carr’s statement, saying, "This wasn't simply a business decision".

"This regrettable chapter is a stain on the FCC. It was a concerning moment of direct government intervention into business decisions."

Carr then clarified that he meant networks and broadcasters can address issues about news distortion. "If they don't, there's a way that's not as easy - which is someone can file a complaint at the FCC, and then the FCC ... has to adjudicate that complaint," he said.

Jimmy Kimmel's statement that led to the suspension

Last week, on September 15, while speaking about Charlie Kirk’s suspected killer, Kimmel called the supporters of Donald Trump, “The MAGA gang”, which drew backlash from conservatives.

The next day, on September 16, Kimmel doubled down, claiming that the right wing is exploiting the death of the conservative activist and Turning Point USA (TPUSA)founder, who was shot dead while speaking at a public debate event at Utah Valley University on September 10. 

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Eileen Gu reacts after JD Vance questions US-born athletes competing abroad
58 minutes ago
Court filing says settlement fund could disburse $35 million upon approval of 40+ eligible claims
3 hours ago
Alysa Liu finished with a total score of 226.79, including a season-best 150.20 in the free skate and 76.59 in the short program
9 hours ago
Amber Glenn, Team USA’s first openly queer woman skater, opened up about emotional toll and online backlash after her 13th-place Olympic finish
10 hours ago
Congressional candidate Clay Fuller mentioned that his daughter, Tallulah, had received detention for missing school to attend the rally
10 hours ago
Nevada County authorities confirmed that eight people died, while a ninth person remained missing and was presumed dead
11 hours ago
Performance highlighted fatal Minneapolis shootings by federal agents and used dance to draw attention to the deaths of Good and Pretti
12 hours ago
Sonora authorities said that no formal collaboration request had been received, though they remained open to cooperating through established channels
20 hours ago
The Commission of Fine Arts approved the $400 million project in a 6–0 vote, with one recusal, advancing plans for a major East Wing expansion
21 hours ago
'There's so much more that needs to be done here. I'm hoping they conduct a full investigation and there's a conviction', Sky Roberts said
1 day ago