DC shooting suspect entered US through Biden's 'Operation Allies Welcome' program: Kristi Noem

The suspect, identified as Rahmanullah Lakanwal, entered the US on September 8, 2021, and managed to secure asylum this year
UPDATED NOV 27, 2025
The Joe Biden administration launched 'Operation Allies Welcome' in August 2021 as the US scrambled out of Afghanistan (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
The Joe Biden administration launched 'Operation Allies Welcome' in August 2021 as the US scrambled out of Afghanistan (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: The man accused of shooting two National Guard members near the White House reportedly arrived on American soil through a Joe Biden-era pipeline designed to give vulnerable Afghans a new start.

Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem revealed on Wednesday, November 26, that the suspect came in under "Operation Allies Welcome," a program launched in August 2021 as the US scrambled out of Afghanistan and the Taliban rolled back into power.

Former President Joe Biden kicked off the initiative to “protect vulnerable Afghans in the wake of the US military withdrawal from Afghanistan,” one of the most controversial chapters of his tenure.

According to Noem, the suspect (identified as Rahmanullah Lakanwal) touched down in the US on September 8, 2021. He reportedly managed to secure asylum this year after having applied for it last year. Multiple law enforcement officials told CNN that approval came under the Trump administration.

Inside Biden-era 'Operation Allies Welcome' 

Under "Operation Allies Welcome," tens of thousands of Afghans were allowed into the US for two-year stays. However, there were no guarantees of long-term status. 

The Department of Homeland Security says more than 40% of those admitted were eligible for the coveted Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) program, reserved for those who “took great risks to help the US” or were related to someone who did.

TASHKENT, UZBEKISTAN - AUGUST 17: In this handout image provided by the Bundeswehr,  evacuees from K
In this handout image provided by the Bundeswehr, evacuees from Kabul sit inside a military aircraft as they arrive at Tashkent Airport on August 17, 2021, in Tashkent, Uzbekistan (Marc Tessensohn/Bundeswehr via Getty Images)

A year after launch, the whole operation got a rebrand to “Enduring Welcome,” shifting toward a long-game approach reliant on the SIV process and the traditional US refugee pipeline.

Between "Operation Allies Welcome" and its new incarnation, over 190,000 Afghans have been resettled in the US, according to the State Department.

But the system is jammed as processing has slowed to a crawl. Thousands of Afghans already targeted by the Taliban reportedly remain stuck in limbo in places like Pakistan.

Shawn VanDiver, president of AfghanEvac, said an estimated 260,000 Afghans have applied to come to the US and are still waiting. He told CNN that many are trapped in Afghanistan itself and facing real danger.

Trump slams Biden for letting in '20 million unknown and unvetted foreigners'

After Wednesday’s shooting, President Donald Trump wasted no time torching Joe Biden’s immigration policies, blaming his predecessor for letting in “20 million unknown and unvetted foreigners.” He demanded a sweeping reexamination of every Afghan who arrived during Biden’s watch.

In his nighttime address, Trump called the shooting “an act of evil, an act of hatred and an act of terror,” adding, “It was a crime against our entire nation.”

Hours earlier, the US Citizenship and Immigration Services announced it would stop processing all Afghan immigration cases “indefinitely pending further review of security and vetting protocols.”

Since taking office in January, Trump has already moved aggressively to overhaul refugee admissions and slash foreign assistance. These changes have reportedly cut off thousands of Afghans who aided US forces from the vital support they were depending on.

Migrants vetted and revetted, officials say

Joe Biden-era officials reportedly insist the US didn’t just wave Afghans in without being vetted. Every single evacuee was put through security screenings run by intelligence, law enforcement, and counterterrorism professionals. Many were vetted multiple times before leaving Afghanistan, then again in transit hubs, before setting foot in America.

KABUL, AFGHANISTAN - AUGUST 8:  Afghan Afghan Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) applicants crowd into the
Afghan Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) applicants crowd into the Herat Kabul Internet cafe seeking help applying for the SIV program on August 8, 2021, in Kabul, Afghanistan (Paula Bronstein/Getty Images)

CNN reported earlier this week that the Trump administration was already in the process of reinterviewing Afghan migrants who had previously been resettled.

However, VanDiver urged Americans not to paint all Afghans with the same brush. “We’ve got so many people who are here, and one guy doing this does not mean that all Afghan families are troublemakers or terrorists," he insisted.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

'He jokes now about nationalizing the elections. He’s not joking. We’ve seen enough already,' Robert De Niro said about Donald Trump’s intentions
10 hours ago
Conversations paused as diners watched the brief rendition, which ended with applause and quickly became a highlight of the evening
11 hours ago
Melania Trump's 2026 ensemble differed from her 2025 look, when she chose a black tuxedo styled with pieces from Ralph Lauren and Dolce & Gabbana
12 hours ago
JD Vance described his wife Usha as someone who 'just wants to give her kids a good life and wants to be as good of a public servant as possible'
12 hours ago
The 'Shark Tank' investor says firms are scrambling after court blocks Donald Trump tariffs
1 day ago
Israel denied the claims, saying Tucker Carlson was 'politely asked routine questions' per standard procedures for travelers
1 day ago
Mark Ruffalo said President Donald Trump cannot act alone on war and backed Representative Ro Khanna’s War Powers vote
1 day ago
Editor Mark Guiducci reportedly barred press and social media from the Vanity Fair Oscar party amid tighter guest restrictions
1 day ago
Melania Trump called her inaugural gown 'modern, bold, simple, and dignified,' saying it reflects decades of experience and craftsmanship
1 day ago
The Trump-Kennedy Center canceled Le Patin Libre’s show after a toxic chemical attack and handed footage to police for investigation
1 day ago