Democrats urge Andrew to testify after new 'catch-up' emails with Epstein surface

Newly surfaced emails between Andrew and Jeffrey Epstein reignited calls to testify, as Democrats said his name appeared 'many times' in accounts
Several Democratic lawmakers called on Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor to testify before the House Oversight Committee after new emails involving Jeffrey Epstein surfaced (Getty Images)
Several Democratic lawmakers called on Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor to testify before the House Oversight Committee after new emails involving Jeffrey Epstein surfaced (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: Pressure is growing on Britain’s former prince, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, to testify about his alleged ties to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. 

Several Democratic lawmakers investigating Epstein’s network are calling on Andrew to testify before the House Oversight Committee, days after King Charles formally stripped his younger brother of his royal title.

Rep Suhas Subramanyam told BBC on Saturday, November 1, that if Andrew “wants to do right by the victims, he will come forward,” emphasizing that the former prince’s name had reportedly appeared “many times” in survivors’ accounts.

WOLFSBURG, GERMANY - JUNE 03:  Prince Andrew, Duke of York, is pictured during his visit to Volkswag
Prince Andrew, Duke of York, is pictured during his visit to Volkswagen car plant on June 03, 2014 in Wolfsburg, Germany (Getty Images)

Fresh Epstein emails deepen scrutiny

Newly unsealed court documents released on Friday revealed fresh correspondence between Andrew and Epstein, showing that the royal allegedly maintained contact with the financier even after his conviction.

Fellow committee members, including Reps Raja Krishnamoorthi, Stephen Lynch, and Ro Khanna echoed similar demands, urging Andrew to “tell us what you know” and to appear before Congress voluntarily.

So far, reportedly, no Republicans on the committee have publicly joined the call, and no subpoena has been issued.

Florida-based aviation company decides to dismantle Jeffrey Epstein's private jet (NBCNews/YouTube)
Florida-based aviation company decides to dismantle Jeffrey Epstein's private jet (NBCNews/YouTube)

In April 2010, less than a year after Epstein’s release from prison, Andrew suggested a “catch-up” meeting, writing that it would be “good to catch up in person.” 

Epstein was released in July 2009 after being jailed for soliciting a minor.

Photo from 2001 that was included in court files shows Prince Andrew with his arm around the waist of 17-year-old Virginia Giuffre, who says Jeffrey Epstein paid her to have sex with the prince. Andrew has denied the charges. In the background is Epstein's girlfriend, Ghislaine Maxwell. (U.S. Second Circuit Court of Appeals)
Photo from 2001 that was included in court files shows Prince Andrew with his arm around the waist of 17-year-old Virginia Giuffre, who says Jeffrey Epstein paid her to have sex with the prince. Andrew has denied the charges. In the background is Epstein's girlfriend, Ghislaine Maxwell (US Second Circuit Court of Appeals)

The financier had reportedly proposed introducing Andrew to banker Jes Staley in London, but Andrew responded that he would be abroad and might “drop by” New York later that year.

By December 2010, the Andrew and Epstein were photographed walking together in New York’s Central Park, an encounter Andrew later claimed was meant to end their friendship.

In this handout, the mug shot of Jeffrey Epstein, 2019. (Photo by Kypros/Getty Images)
Epstein had proposed introducing Andrew to banker Jes Staley in London (Kypros/Getty Images)

Andrew’s royal downfall and renewed scrutiny

On February 28, 2011, one day after the image showing him with his arm around Giuffre, and Ghislaine Maxwell standing nearby, became public, Andrew allegedly wrote to Epstein in an email, "I’m just as concerned for you! Don’t worry about me!"

"It would seem we are in this together and will have to rise above it. Otherwise keep in close touch and we’ll play some more soon!" he added.

The publication of these emails comes amid escalating fallout for Andrew.

About two weeks after announcing that he would stop using his duke of york title, King Charles formally revoked both his princely status and his longtime residence at the 30-room Royal Lodge estate.

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - JULY 01:  Prince Andrew, Duke of York, attends a commemoration service at Manc
Prince Andrew, Duke of York, attends a commemoration service at Manchester Cathedral marking the 100th anniversary since the start of the Battle of the Somme. July 1, 2016, in Manchester, England (Getty Images)

The pressure on Andrew has intensified following the posthumous release of Epstein survivor Virginia Giuffre’s memoir, 'Nobody's Girl', which recounts her allegations that Andrew had sex with her on multiple occasions when she was 17. 

Andrew settled Giuffre’s civil lawsuit in 2022 for an undisclosed sum but reportedly continues to deny ever meeting her or the authenticity of a photograph showing them together.

Prince William, Prince Of Wales arrives for a visit to Ulster University's Belfast City Campus Centre, to hear about work that is being carried out to solidify Northern Ireland as a global leader of creative excellence and innovation by developing and upskilling the future workforce and expanding technological capabilities on November 14, 2024 in Belfast, Northern Ireland. (Photo by Liam McBurney - Pool/Getty Images)
Prince William, Prince Of Wales arrives for a visit to Ulster University's Belfast City Campus Centre, to hear about work that is being carried out to solidify Northern Ireland as a global leader of creative excellence and innovation by developing and upskilling the future workforce and expanding technological capabilities on November 14, 2024 in Belfast, Northern Ireland (Liam McBurney - Pool/Getty Images)

As Andrew’s reputation faces renewed damage, his nephew, Prince William, is set to travel to Brazil next week for an awards ceremony for his environmental prize.

This effort is allegedly being seen by royal observers as an attempt to shift public focus away from one of the monarchy’s most damaging scandals in decades.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

David Axelrod explained that Donald Trump is popular with GOP voters but lacks wider appeal, creating a dilemma for Republicans in general elections
6 hours ago
Cynthia West shared a video congratulating Trump on a huge Kentucky victory, praising his America First agenda and calling America worth fighting for
6 hours ago
Hawaa said her father Amin Abdullah often skipped meals while guarding the mosque because he was focused on protecting children and worshippers
7 hours ago
Donike Gocaj died after falling into an uncovered Midtown Manhattan manhole near the Cartier store after exiting her Mercedes-Benz
8 hours ago
JD Vance accused Kaitlan Collins of misrepresenting both his previous comments and Donald Trump’s statement
9 hours ago
The data came from the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting Program, which gathered information from more than 17,000 law enforcement agencies
9 hours ago
Amin Abdullah, Mansour Kaziha and Nader Awad were identified as the three men killed in the attack
10 hours ago
Natalie Maines accused the Trump administration of misusing public funds amid rising gas prices, tensions with Iran, and IRS controversy
10 hours ago
Donald Trump unveiled new details about the White House ballroom, calling it a hardened structure with military-grade defenses
11 hours ago