Donald Trump calls Jim Acosta 'sleazebag' as he celebrates journalist's departure from CNN

'I have decided to move on. One final message: don’t give in to the lies, don’t give in to the fear,' Jim Acosta said at the end of his CNN broadcast
UPDATED JAN 29, 2025
President Donald Trump slammed former CNN host Jim Acosta in his Truth Social post (Anna Moneymaker, Paul Morigi/Getty Images )
President Donald Trump slammed former CNN host Jim Acosta in his Truth Social post (Anna Moneymaker, Paul Morigi/Getty Images )

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump did not hold himself back and shared his views after CNN host Jim Acosta decided to depart from the network instead of accepting a new position.

Acosta said at the end of his 'CNN Newsroom' broadcast, "I have decided to move on. One final message: don’t give in to the lies, don’t give in to the fear."



 

Donald Trump slams Jim Acosta in Truth Social post

The president took to his Truth Social profile to slam Jim Acosta after he decided to quit the network. Trump wrote, "Wow, really good news! Jim Acosta, one of the worst and most dishonest reporters in journalistic history, a major sleazebag, has been relegated by CNN Fake News to the Midnight hour, “Death Valley,” because of extraordinarily BAD RATINGS (and no talent!)."

He added, "Word is that he wants to QUIT, and that would be even better. Jim is a major loser who will fail no matter where he ends up. Good luck Jim!"


DORAL, FLORIDA - JANUARY 27: U.S. President Donald Trump addresses the 2025 Republican Issues Conference at the Trump National Doral Miami on January 27, 2025 in Doral, Florida. The three-day planning session was expected to lay out Trump's ambitious legislative agenda. (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump addresses the 2025 Republican Issues Conference at the Trump National Doral Miami on January 27, 2025, in Doral, Florida (Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

Acosta had been associated with CNN for the last 18 years after working at CBS News. In 2018, he became the network’s chief White House correspondent.

Notably, he covered the Trump administration and even had his White House press credentials suspended in 2018 after a briefing room exchange with Donald Trump. It was later reinstated by a court order.

Meanwhile, Acosta decided to quit when CNN announced changes to its daytime schedule. The network decided to move 'The Situation Room', with anchors Wolf Blitzer and Pamela Brown, to Acosta's 10 am slot. 

CNN White House correspondent Jim Acosta speaks at the U.S. District Court House after a judge ruled that he should have his White House press pass returned immediately, on November 16, 2018 in Washington, DC. CNN filed a lawsuit against U.S. President Donald Trump and top aides alleging that the network and Acosta's constitutional rights were violated when his White House press credential was revoked last week. (Photo by Mark Wilson/Getty Images)
CNN White House correspondent Jim Acosta speaks at the US District Court House after a judge ruled that he should have his White House press pass returned immediately, on November 16, 2018, in Washington, DC (Mark Wilson/Getty Images)

Moreover, CNN chairman Mark Thompson proposed a prime-time slot to Acosta for a new news show that would air live during late-night hours on the East Coast.

The network responded after Acosta's resignation in a statement that read, "Jim has spent a long and distinguished career spanning nearly 20 years at CNN, where his work has championed upholding power, the First Amendment, and journalistic freedoms. We are grateful for his dedication and commitment to reporting and wish him the best in his future endeavors."

After quitting, Acosta took to his social media to announce in a video that he would be going independent. He said in a video shared on X, "Hey guys, it’s Jim, and let me just say this: I’ve had quite the day."



 

He added, "But as you can see, earlier today this was my last day at CNN and I did want to jump on Substack Live for a moment and say welcome to my new venture. I’m going independent, at least for now."

Internet sides with Donald Trump after he slams Jim Acosta

Several internet users sided with Donald Trump on his Truth Social post where he slammed Jim Acosta after he decided to quit the network and called it "very good news."

A user wrote, "I'm glad he's gone. He was nothing but a liar," while one added, "Dug his own grave."



 



 

A person also stated, "You gotta love President Trump’s complete and utter honesty no matter the perception. It’s clear and honest," whereas one mentioned, "100% disgraced."



 



 

A user also wrote, "Even on his way out he lies...mental illness," while one commented, "Classic Trump, always finding a way to stir the pot."



 



 

A person also mentioned, "He was a liar and a grand stander. Good riddance!" whereas one added, "Trump's humor and antics are entertaining!"



 



 

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Kaitlan Collins suggested the banner blurred the traditional boundary between the White House and the Justice Department
30 minutes ago
Donald Trump's announcement immediately raised questions about why the aid was being sent and whether Greenland had requested any assistance
54 minutes ago
JD Vance pushed back on Democratic opposition to voter ID measures, framing the issue as one of election integrity
1 hour ago
Trump thanked Hegseth for his leadership, telling governors that he had played a key role in motivating Americans to serve in the armed forces again
1 hour ago
Speaking at the National Governors Association Dinner, Trump revisited his long-running gripe about aerosol cans and the ozone layer
2 hours ago
Adam Schiff said he would attend an alternative event outside the Capitol, breaking with his long record of attending every State of the Union address
2 hours ago
Trump revisited his 2020 election fraud claims, calling the loss of a second term 'terrible' during the governors’ dinner remarks
2 hours ago
Donald Trump said the ballroom would be funded entirely through private donations from supporters and preservation groups
3 hours ago
Vance argued voter ID protects citizens’ rights and warned ineligible voting undermines election integrity; 50+ Republican senators support the bill
3 hours ago
Trump claimed early demand for the 2026 World Cup is unprecedented, signaling strong interest ahead of the tournament hosted across North America
3 hours ago