Eerie Manhattan video shows 3 figures in headlamps crawling out of manhole before dawn
MANHATTAN, NEW YORK: A strange scene captured on video in Manhattan has sent social media into overdrive: several people in protective-looking clothing and headlamps can be seen climbing out of a manhole before dawn near Penn Station.
The footage, recorded on Tuesday, August 18, around 32nd Street and Seventh Avenue, has been viewed millions of times online, with viewers offering theories ranging from legitimate underground work to a possible new scam.
The person who recorded the scene said there were five people involved.
The manhole people are back .
— Viral News NYC (@ViralNewsNYC) August 22, 2026
They were spotted at 4 am in Manhattan exiting another man hole . pic.twitter.com/F2VUD7DwAE
Men climb out of manhole in viral video
The footage shows the manhole cover open on a Manhattan street as figures slowly make their way upward from below.
Wearing what appear to be overalls and headlamps, they emerge one after another, creating an unusual sight in an area that is normally busy with pedestrians and traffic.
The incident reportedly happened shortly after 4 am.
The video was later posted to TikTok and Instagram and rapidly spread across social media, attracting millions of views.
The number of people visible in the footage has prompted particular interest.
While the video itself has circulated with varying descriptions, the person who recorded it said five people came out of the manhole.
🚨Who Are the Men Emerging From New York's Sewers at 2 A.M.?
— Skywatch Signal (@UAPWatchers) June 2, 2026
Videos showing random groups of men climbing out of New York City manholes in the middle of the night have gone viral, and of course the internet has filled in the blanks.
The NYPD says there's no threat to the public… pic.twitter.com/khQbkJBOGe
The headlamps and protective clothing have also become a major talking point among viewers, many of whom have questioned what the group was doing underground at that hour.
NYPD is reportedly investigating the incident and has not made any arrests so far.
Similar sewer videos surfaced in May
The unusual footage has also revived memories of several videos that circulated in New York earlier this year.
In May, social media clips showed groups of men emerging from manholes in Brooklyn.
Multiple incidents where groups of people were seen entering and exiting sewer manholes in Brooklyn, New York
— Wall Street Apes (@WallStreetApes) May 31, 2026
- In one incident surveillance video captured 8 unidentified individuals removing a manhole cover, entering the sewer system, spending roughly 2–3 hours underground,… pic.twitter.com/q864ArogQS
One widely circulated video showed a man opening a manhole around 2 am, after which several people climbed out near Bedford Avenue and McDonald Avenue.
Other footage later showed men emerging onto a roadway, with some appearing to carry shovels.
Those incidents also prompted an investigation by the NYPD.
A senior law enforcement official reportedly said at the time that investigators believed the men were most likely scavenging for valuables.
🚨Security cameras in New York City captured groups of men wearing headlamps and carrying tools climbing in and out of sewer manholes in Brooklyn & Queens. pic.twitter.com/Pd9xg8YNyU
— ⚡️🌎 World News 🌐⚡️ (@ferozwala) August 23, 2026
▪️Police & environmental protection officials investigated the sites, suspecting the groups were… pic.twitter.com/0iXKu5lZda
Police also sent members of the Emergency Services Unit into the sewer system to determine whether anything dangerous had been left behind.
Authorities said they found no evidence of a threat to the public and no damage to the sewer infrastructure.