Elon Musk continues fight against 'woke' culture, calls 2026 Oscars 'unwatchable'

Elon Musk reacted to a post from a critic who took issue with the Oscars’ 'diversity inclusion' requirements tied to Best Picture eligibility
Elon Musk has once again made it clear that his views on 'woke' culture remain unchanged, especially when it comes to the Academy Awards (Getty Images)
Elon Musk has once again made it clear that his views on 'woke' culture remain unchanged, especially when it comes to the Academy Awards (Getty Images)

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: The Oscars are once again in billionaire Elon Musk's crosshairs.

The tech titan has made a habit of taking swings at what he calls “woke” culture. This year’s Academy Awards ceremony on March 15 was no different.  

Elon Musk tears into the Oscars

On March 16, Elon Musk reposted a fellow critic who took aim at the Oscars’ so-called “diversity inclusion” quota, which constitutes a set of rules tied to Best Picture eligibility.

NEW YORK, NEW YORK - DECEMBER 13: Elon Musk and son X Æ A-12 on stage TIME Person of the Year on Dec
 Elon Musk and son X Æ A-12 on stage TIME Person of the Year on December 13, 2021 in New York City (Getty Images)

The guidelines require films to meet certain representation benchmarks, including having at least one lead or supporting actor “from an underrepresented racial or ethnic group in a specific country or territory of production.”

The critic in question argued that a classic like 'The Godfather' wouldn’t even qualify today without bending to what they described as “woke” standards. They warned that such policies could spell doom for Hollywood, something Musk appeared to co-sign.

He reposted the message on X and added, “Oscars have become unwatchable.”



Elon Musk’s longstanding beef

Musk has been taking jabs at the awards ceremony for years, especially as the Academy leaned harder into representation and inclusion efforts.

Back in March 2025, he took issue with the same inclusion standards that call for representation across racial and ethnic groups, the LGBTQ+ community, and people with disabilities for films competing for Best Picture.

“This is messed up. Should just be who is best, not best with an asterisk!” he wrote at the time.



The world's richest man had already been sounding the alarm in 2024, claiming the Oscars had drifted from prestige into what he called a “woke contest.”

“When an award is diluted, everyone knows, including those who received it, and it no longer commands respect," he posted at the time.



Trump chimes in

President Donald Trump also piled on after the 2024 ceremony, taking to Truth Social with his own critique. Taking aim at host Jimmy Kimmel, the President blasted his performance as someone “trying too hard to be something which he is not, and never can be.”

Trump even floated a replacement, suggesting “another washed-up, but cheap, ABC’ talent,’ George Slopanopoulos." He argued that George Stephanopoulos would be less of a “train wreck” than Kimmel, whom he branded the worst Oscars host.

Like Musk, Trump questioned the show’s standing and said it had been “disjointed, boring, and very unfair” for years. He asked, “Why don’t they just give the Oscars to those that deserve them?” before signing off, “MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!”

President Donald Trump speaks to reporters aboard Air Force One, Sunday, March 15, 2026, en route from West Palm Beach, Fla. to Joint Base Andrews, Md. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)
President Donald Trump speaks to reporters aboard Air Force One, Sunday, March 15, 2026, en route from West Palm Beach, Fla. to Joint Base Andrews, Md (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)

That said, it's worth noting that Musk’s war against “woke” culture has also turned deeply personal.

In 2024, he sparked headlines after speaking about his transgender daughter, Vivian Jenna Wilson, formerly known as Xavier. Musk claimed he had been misled into approving her transition, saying he didn’t realize “puberty blockers are actually just sterilization drugs.”

He argued that those who support and enable such transitions for minors should face imprisonment. “So my son Xavier is dead, killed by the woke mind virus,” Musk declared.

While Vivian is alive, the SpaceX founder considers the transition as a personal loss.

RELATED TOPICS 98TH ACADEMY AWARDS

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

King Charles' cancer was found during treatment for another health issue, with the palace confirming treatment but not disclosing its type
4 hours ago
Michelle Rodriguez’s remarks followed the recent deaths of Daveigh Chase, Oliver Tree, Lauren Bennett, Josh Grisetti, Jake Hall and Tay Keith
18 hours ago
Griff Furst recalled being warned that something was off before meeting Hayden Panettiere, who he said was 'incredibly sweet' but 'not okay'
19 hours ago
Hayden Panettiere used the campaign to spotlight the conditions faced by dolphins and whales in marine parks and urged audiences to avoid such facilities
19 hours ago
Evan Rachel Wood shared several Instagram Stories, including photos of Hayden Panettiere and a song dedicated to her
20 hours ago
Charles Esten recalled being at the same Greenville location as Hayden Panettiere shortly before her death and wished they had crossed paths
20 hours ago
Tim Fywell recalled how enjoyable Hayden Panettiere and Michelle Trachtenberg were to have around during what was his first Hollywood movie
21 hours ago
Paris Hilton sent her love to Hayden Panettiere and her family, saying the actress would be deeply missed
21 hours ago
The Greenville Police Department and Greenville County Coroner’s Office are investigating Hayden Panettiere’s death, with no foul play indicated
21 hours ago
Hayden Panettiere's autopsy found no trauma that contributed to her death, while officials await further testing to determine the cause and manner
22 hours ago