Ex-intel chief claims a foreign government pushed the US into Iran war against agency advice

'The intelligence community properly assessed that targeting Iranian leadership would strengthen the regime and embolden hardliners', Kent wrote.
Former National Counterterrorism Center Director Joe Kent said US intelligence agreed Iran was not building nuclear weapons before the war and warned of retaliation risks (Getty Images)
Former National Counterterrorism Center Director Joe Kent said US intelligence agreed Iran was not building nuclear weapons before the war and warned of retaliation risks (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: A fresh political storm erupted in Washington after former National Counterterrorism Center Director Joe Kent publicly claimed that the American intelligence community had reached an internal consensus before the Iran conflict that Tehran was not actively building a nuclear weapon.

Kent’s comments, posted Thursday, May 7, on social media, directly challenge one of the central justifications used by the Trump administration during the run-up to military operations against Iran, triggering immediate pushback from the White House.



Joe Kent says intelligence warnings were ignored

In a sharply worded statement posted online, Kent argued that US intelligence agencies, including the Central Intelligence Agency, had already assessed key risks before the conflict began and that many of those warnings later proved accurate.

According to Kent, intelligence officials believed Iran was not actively constructing a nuclear weapon before the outbreak of hostilities.

He also claimed analysts had warned that if Iran were attacked by either the United States or Israel, Tehran would likely retaliate by targeting American military facilities across the region and moving to disrupt shipping through the Strait of Hormuz.

“One of the many tragedies of this war is that before the war began, the US intelligence community was in agreement that Iran wasn’t developing a nuclear weapon,” Kent wrote.

The sun rises behind tankers anchored in the Strait of Hormuz off the coast of Qeshm Island, Iran, Saturday, April 18, 2026. (AP Photo/Asghar Besharati)
The sun rises behind tankers anchored in the Strait of Hormuz off the coast of Qeshm Island, Iran, Saturday, April 18, 2026 (AP Photo/Asghar Besharati)

He went even further, alleging that intelligence officials had also warned that efforts to decapitate Iran’s leadership could backfire politically.

“The intelligence community properly assessed that targeting Iranian leadership would strengthen the regime and embolden hardliners,” he said.

Kent then made his most explosive claim suggesting foreign political pressure, rather than intelligence findings, ultimately shaped US policy.

“Despite the professionalism and accuracy of the intelligence community, the narrative pushed by a foreign government won the argument and forced us into this war,” he added.

FILE - Joe Kent, Director of the U.S. National Counterterrorism Center, speaks during a congressional debate at KATU studios Oct. 7, 2024, in Portland, Ore. (AP Photo/Jenny Kane, File)
Joe Kent, Director of the National Counterterrorism Center, speaks during a congressional debate at KATU studios October 7, 2024, in Portland, Ore (AP Photo/Jenny Kane, File)

White House fires back

White House spokesman Davis Ingle dismissed Kent’s claims as politically motivated and accused the former official of misrepresenting both the intelligence and the president’s decision-making.

“Joe Kent’s recent comments are riddled with lies,” Ingle said in a statement.

He defended President Donald Trump’s actions, insisting the administration acted on what it believed was credible evidence of an imminent Iranian threat.



“As commander-in-chief, President Trump acted on strong intelligence showing the Iranian regime posed a direct and immediate danger to Americans,” Ingle added.

Kent resigned from his counterterrorism post in March, citing deep opposition to the administration’s Iran policy.

In his resignation letter, he wrote: “I cannot in good conscience support the ongoing war in Iran.”

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Hunter Biden conceded that Benjamin Netanyahu had sought Jared Kushner's involvement as Maher challenged his criticism of Trump's Middle East envoy
15 minutes ago
Tom Homan cited deportations to 180 countries while responding to Florida Senate candidate Angie Nixon’s concerns over ICE enforcement
44 minutes ago
Hunter Biden's comments come after his mother, Jill Biden, said that the family would support him if he ever decided to run for president
1 hour ago
Donald Trump made the claim while campaigning for Darline Graham in South Carolina, offering no details about hospitals allegedly carrying out the procedures
2 hours ago
Michael Wolff said Melania Trump had abandoned the traditional first lady role after making just 38 public appearances through July
7 hours ago
'She sacrificed, she didn't even sleep, she didn't even eat, and she got to one of the highest positions in the country', Amy Robbins said about Harp
7 hours ago
The lawsuit alleged TikTok let children under 13 create accounts without parental consent, collected their data, and failed to honor deletion requests
7 hours ago
In a letter, Natalie Harp told Trump, 'You are all that matters to me', then pushed back on her 'human printer' label
8 hours ago
Rashida Tlaib’s latest financial disclosure lists crypto-linked funds in her retirement accounts as Congress prepares for another digital-assets push
9 hours ago
Dan Driscoll has pushed the Army to improve living conditions for troops and modernize its equipment
9 hours ago