Trump calls Hormuz firefight 'just a love tap' as Rubio presses Iran for diplomatic response

'Their system is still highly fractured, and it's dysfunctional as well, so that may be serving as an impediment', Rubio said about Iran
Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Washington expects Tehran's response soon and hopes that it will be 'a serious offer' to move negotiations forward (Getty Images)
Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Washington expects Tehran's response soon and hopes that it will be 'a serious offer' to move negotiations forward (Getty Images)

ROME, ITALY: Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Friday, May 8, that Washington is expecting a response from Iran on a proposal aimed at advancing talks over the ongoing conflict, as military tensions continued to flare in the Strait of Hormuz.

Speaking to reporters in Rome, Rubio said the United States had not yet received Tehran’s reply but expected clarity within hours.

His remarks came after a new exchange of fire between US and Iranian forces, despite President Donald Trump maintaining that the ceasefire remains in place. As Oil prices edged higher overnight, reflecting concerns over the security of energy shipments through the region.

This image provided by U.S. Central Command shows a F/A-18E Super Hornet launching from the USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) in support of Operation Epic Fury on Monday, March 2, 2026. (US Navy via AP)
This image provided by US Central Command shows a F/A-18E Super Hornet launching from the USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) in support of Operation Epic Fury on Monday, March 2, 2026 (US Navy via AP)

Marco Rubio says Washington hopes for 'serious' Iranian offer

Rubio told reporters the United States is waiting for Iran’s response to a proposal that could restart formal negotiations over the conflict.

“We should know something today,” Rubio said. He added that no response had been received “as of the last hour,” pointing to internal challenges in Tehran as a possible reason for the delay.

“Their system is still highly fractured, and it’s dysfunctional as well, so that may be serving as an impediment,” Rubio said.

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio arrives at Paris-Le Bourget Airport, in Le Bourget, France, early Friday, March 27, 2026, to take part in the G7 foreign ministers' meeting. (Brendan Smialowski/Pool Photo via AP)
Secretary of State Marco Rubio arrives at Paris-Le Bourget Airport, in Le Bourget, France, early Friday, March 27, 2026, to take part in the G7 foreign ministers' meeting (Brendan Smialowski/Pool Photo via AP)

The secretary of state said Washington’s goal is to receive “something that can put us into a serious process of negotiation,” suggesting that the administration is seeking a diplomatic pathway even as military activity continues in the Gulf.

Rubio also raised concern over reports that Iran may be trying to establish a mechanism to control maritime traffic in the Strait of Hormuz, calling such a move unacceptable.

“That would be very problematic, that would actually be unacceptable,” Rubio said. The Strait of Hormuz remains one of the world’s most critical oil transit routes, and any disruption there has immediate implications for global energy markets. 

Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks to reporters before boarding a plane at Joint Base Andrews, Md., Thursday, March 26, 2026. (Brendan Smialowski/Pool Photo via AP)
Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks to reporters before boarding a plane at Joint Base Andrews, Md, Thursday, March 26, 2026 (Brendan Smialowski/Pool Photo via AP)

Iran condemns US strikes as ceasefire comes under strain

Rubio’s comments came after Iran sharply criticized US military action in the Strait of Hormuz, accusing Washington of violating the ceasefire framework.

Iranian military officials said the United States targeted vessels and port areas near the strait, prompting retaliatory fire from Iranian forces.



Iran’s Khatam Al-Anbiya military headquarters said the United States had “crossed the point of no return,” warning that its response would match “the crime and more.”

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi also condemned the US strikes, describing them as a “reckless military adventure.”

“Every time a diplomatic solution is on the table, the US opts for a reckless military adventure,” Araghchi wrote on X. “Whatever the causes, the outcome is the same: Iranians never bow to pressure and diplomacy is always the victim.”

President Donald Trump talks as he visits the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool to see the new blue protective coating being applied as part of a renovation project, Thursday, May 7, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)
President Donald Trump talks as he visits the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool to see the new blue protective coating being applied as part of a renovation project, Thursday, May 7, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)

US officials said the strikes were carried out in self-defense after Iranian forces fired at American warships transiting the strait.

President Trump sought to downplay the latest exchange, describing it as “just a love tap” and insisting the ceasefire remains active. “The ceasefire is going. It’s in effect,” Trump said in a phone interview on Thursday.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Hunter Biden's comments come after his mother, Jill Biden, said that the family would support him if he ever decided to run for president
31 minutes ago
Donald Trump made the claim while campaigning for Darline Graham in South Carolina, offering no details about hospitals allegedly carrying out the procedures
1 hour ago
Michael Wolff said Melania Trump had abandoned the traditional first lady role after making just 38 public appearances through July
6 hours ago
'She sacrificed, she didn't even sleep, she didn't even eat, and she got to one of the highest positions in the country', Amy Robbins said about Harp
6 hours ago
The lawsuit alleged TikTok let children under 13 create accounts without parental consent, collected their data, and failed to honor deletion requests
7 hours ago
In a letter, Natalie Harp told Trump, 'You are all that matters to me', then pushed back on her 'human printer' label
8 hours ago
Rashida Tlaib’s latest financial disclosure lists crypto-linked funds in her retirement accounts as Congress prepares for another digital-assets push
8 hours ago
Dan Driscoll has pushed the Army to improve living conditions for troops and modernize its equipment
8 hours ago
Mace's latest post targeting Omar comes after her push for a constitutional amendment on who can serve in Congress
9 hours ago
The decision comes days after a federal court issued a preliminary injunction blocking Trump’s 2026 executive order restricting mail voting
10 hours ago