'Whose retaliating?' Internet asks FBI and DHS as they warn of 'follow-on acts of violence' after Trump's assassination attempt

FBI-DHS released a four-page document on the risk of violent extremists attempting follow-on attacks in response to Donald Trump's failed shooting
FBI and DHI said every election-related candidate is under high threat now (Getty Images)
FBI and DHI said every election-related candidate is under high threat now (Getty Images)

Warning: This article contains some graphic information and content that may trigger some readers. Discretion is advised.

WASHINGTON, DC: The FBI and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) have issued a Joint Intelligence Bulletin warning of potential retaliatory attacks following the recent shooting of former president Donald Trump.

The four-page document highlights the risk of violent extremists attempting follow-on attacks in response to the incident.

FBI and DHS warn of violent extremists and election-related threats

Violent extremists or others “may attempt follow-on or retaliatory acts of violence” in response to the attempted assassination of Donald Trump at a rally over the weekend in Pennsylvania, the agencies said in the bulletin obtained by Politico.

FBI source confirmed the ongoing threats to public safety by stressing vigilance and the importance of reporting suspicious activities.

(Getty Images)
 The FBI and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) have issued a Joint Intelligence Bulletin warning of potential retaliatory attacks following the recent shooting of Donald Trump (Getty Images)

The bulletin mentions that extremists have previously plotted attacks against perceived political or ideological opponents.

It was distributed to multiple intelligence and law enforcement organizations to understand the need for continued alertness.

"We continue to face very-real threats from those who seek to undermine our elections," stated an FBI source, according to Fox News.

"The FBI remains vigilant in our efforts to detect and assess possible threats and, as always, we encourage the public to promptly report suspicious activities which could represent a threat to public safety," the source added.

FBI and DHS bulletin says elections targets are under 'heightened threat' of attack 

The document did not specify any particular targets but reiterated the heightened threat environment.

"The FBI and DHS remain concerned about the potential for follow-on or retaliatory acts of violence following this attack, particularly given that individuals in some online communities have threatened, encouraged, or referenced acts of violence in response to the attempted assassination," the bulletin reads, as reported by Politico.

The attack on Trump occurred during a campaign rally in Pennsylvania on Saturday. The shooter, identified as 20-year-old Thomas Matthew Crooks, struck Trump in the ear with a bullet.

Trump shooter Thomas Matthew Crooks (@CollinRugg/X)
Donald Trump's shooter, identified as 20-year-old Thomas Matthew Crooks, struck the ex-POTUS in the ear with a bullet (@CollinRugg/X)

The FBI announced on Sunday that they are investigating the assassination attempt as a potential act of terrorism, although the motive remains unclear.

"This attack reinforces our assessment that election-related targets are under a heightened threat of attack or other types of disruptive incidents," the bulletin noted, per Politico.

The alert follows in a context already identified by authorities as a "heightened threat" environment, with the nation deeply divided. It also follows as Republicans convene for their nomination in Milwaukee and Democrats gear up for their own convention in Chicago.

Internet reactions to possible retaliatory attacks following Donald Trump's assassination attempt 

Following the shooting and FBI and DHS intelligence bulletin, netizens have reacted by asking who these people who want retaliation with some criticizing the Secret Service on how they will handle the threats.

One person jibed on X (formerly Twitter), "Just don’t out Trump near any slopped roofs. Secret Service can’t handle that, apparently."

Another added, "I sincerely hope the failure of the attack on POTUS Trump did not create a challenge to other deranged individuals."

"We need to insist on heightened protection for him going forward. Less than the best is not acceptable," the user added. 

"TAKE EVERY PRECAUTION," wrote another individual, while some expressed skepticism. "Not buying it for a second," one person wrote.

Questions about potential retaliation were also raised. "Whose retaliating?" asked one user. Another noted, "Retaliation? The kid was a registered Republican, his dad was a diehard Republican per official GOP documents."



 



 



 



 



 

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Donald Trump defended his Iran strategy, touted his economic record and border policies, and praised Michael Cohen after their yearslong feud
57 minutes ago
JD Vance blamed the Biden administration for leaving behind what he called a 'debt bomb'
1 hour ago
'I solved the problem in 30 days and solved it beautifully in 60, and at the end of 90 days, nobody comes in,' Trump said
1 hour ago
In one letter, Natalie Harp told Donald Trump, 'You are all that matters to me,' and said she never wanted to disappoint him
2 hours ago
JD Vance said the administration is at the same time also working to increase oil and gas supplies to ease pressure on American consumers at the pump
4 hours ago
Donald Trump and Michael Cohen revisited their fractured past during a radio interview, reflecting on years of conflict and Cohen’s decision to seek a pardon
4 hours ago
Jill Biden said doctors examined Joe Biden after the debate and told her, 'Jill, he's fine, he's okay'
9 hours ago
'She's not the White House press secretary. She's not a household name, and I just find it to be appalling', Scott Jennings said
10 hours ago
Asked whether the US would pressure China, Bessent said 'many conversations are best to have in private,' but called on Beijing to 'get with the program'
10 hours ago
On Wednesday, August 19, President Donald Trump announced a ‘most crushing economic operation’ and ‘economic warfare’ against Iran
11 hours ago