FBI explains Savannah Guthrie's 'we have done our part' remark in Nancy's abduction case

According to FBI sources, investigators were informed in advance that Savannah Guthrie planned to release another message
Savannah Guthrie's latest public appeal in the search for her kidnapped mother, Nancy Guthrie, has been clarified after her statement, 'We have done our part,' sparked widespread speculation (@savannahguthrie/Facebook)
Savannah Guthrie's latest public appeal in the search for her kidnapped mother, Nancy Guthrie, has been clarified after her statement, 'We have done our part,' sparked widespread speculation (@savannahguthrie/Facebook)

NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK: The mystery behind Savannah Guthrie's emotional statement, "We have done our part," has finally been cleared up.

On Monday, July 27, the 'Today' host shared another public plea directed at the people responsible for her mother Nancy Guthrie's kidnapping, prompting widespread speculation over what she meant by the phrase. 

FBI sources now say the message was not about paying a ransom but about the family's $1 million reward offer, which investigators hope will encourage someone with information to come forward.



FBI says Savannah Guthrie's message was planned around six-month milestone

According to FBI sources, investigators were aware before Savannah published her latest appeal and agreed that the timing made sense.

One source said this week marks six months since Nancy Guthrie was kidnapped, making it the right moment to renew public attention on the case.

"Anniversaries are the time to go back to the public and reignite interest [in a case]," the FBI source said. The renewed appeal was designed to remind the public that the investigation remains active despite the passage of time.

Rather than announcing new evidence, the focus was on encouraging anyone with information to come forward while keeping Nancy's disappearance in the public eye.

Savannah's message quickly drew attention because of one particular line: "We have done our part." That phrase led to questions about whether the family had taken a new step in dealing with the kidnappers.

FBI clarifies meaning behind 'we have done our part'

According to investigators, the statement was never intended to suggest that the family had paid a ransom.

FBI sources said they checked the Bitcoin wallet linked to the first ransom note and found that no recent payments had been made. Months earlier, the FBI deposited several hundred dollars into the account in an effort to trace it, but that effort did not produce any results.

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - MAY 04: Australian-born presenter, Savannah Guthrie poses alongside her mother Nancy Guthrie during a production break whilst hosting NBC's
Australian-born presenter, Savannah Guthrie poses alongside her mother Nancy Guthrie during a production break whilst hosting NBC's 'Today Show' live from Australia at Sydney Opera House on May 4, 2015 in Sydney, Australia (Photo by Don Arnold/WireImage)

Investigators also said they continue to work closely with the Guthrie family and confirmed that the family has not sent any money to the kidnappers.

Instead, officials explained that Savannah's words referred to the $1 million reward being offered for information leading to Nancy's recovery. The reward is not meant for the kidnappers themselves.

Rather, investigators said Savannah was speaking broadly to anyone who may know what happened to her mother or who may have information that could help solve the case.

Investigation remains at standstill despite renewed public appeal

While the explanation answers one question surrounding Savannah's message, it also highlights how little progress investigators have made since Nancy disappeared.

An FBI source offered a blunt assessment of where the investigation stands. 

TUCSON, ARIZONA - MARCH 03: Catalina Ochoa visits a memorial for Nancy Guthrie in front of the KVOA news station on March 03, 2026 in Tucson, Arizona. One month after Nancy Guthrie, the 84-year-old mother of U.S. journalist and television host Savannah Guthrie, went missing, law enforcement officials continue to analyze evidence from the crime scene and follow leads and tips from the public. (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)
Catalina Ochoa visits a memorial for Nancy Guthrie in front of the KVOA news station on March 03, 2026 in Tucson, Arizona (Getty Images)

"We've made no progress here. We have no idea where Nancy is or who kidnapped her," the source said.

The statement emphasises the difficult reality facing both investigators and the Guthrie family as the case enters its seventh month without a breakthrough.

RELATED TOPICS DISAPPEARANCE OF NANCY GUTHRIE

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

An 11-year-old boy criticized Donald Trump and referenced Jeffrey Epstein as he explained his anger toward the president in the widely shared footage
2 hours ago
'Hes with me every day even when I’m not thinking about him, he’s certainly part of my heart,' Jill Biden shared
3 hours ago
Melania Trump’s diplomatic outreach has focused on children separated from loved ones during the Russia-Ukraine war, using back-channel communication
4 hours ago
Hunter Tirpak stole the spotlight at Donald Trump’s 2016 Pennsylvania rally after arriving dressed as a miniature Trump and being picked up by him
4 hours ago
Rep Nancy Mace showcased nine tattoos, including religious imagery and a Virginia Woolf quote, after previously keeping much of the ink covered
7 hours ago
Ryder Williams gained national attention after rescuing a 10-year-old boy from rough surf while working as a lifeguard at Seabright State Beach
9 hours ago
Todd Blanche also expressed regret over the lack of an update, acknowledging how heartbreaking the case has been
1 day ago
Brad Cooper visited six countries during a 10-day Middle East tour, met over 50,000 US service members and praised the Lincoln Carrier Strike Group
1 day ago
Joey Jones also questioned what older veterans might think when hearing younger service members complain about ordinary hardships while deployed
1 day ago
The controversy began after a sailor's relative alleged that crew lacked care packages and female sailors ran short of hygiene products
1 day ago