Fox News issues apology for airing old Trump footage during Iran war casualties coverage

Critics accuse Fox News of using an old clip to conceal Trump’s ‘45-47’ hat
Griff Jenkins, co-host of Fox & Friends, apologized after the show aired archival footage of a dignified transfer during coverage of US troops killed in Iran-related strikes (Screengrabs, Fox News/YouTube)
Griff Jenkins, co-host of Fox & Friends, apologized after the show aired archival footage of a dignified transfer during coverage of US troops killed in Iran-related strikes (Screengrabs, Fox News/YouTube)

NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK: Fox News issued an apology Sunday, March 8, after facing outrage over airing an outdated video during coverage of a Dignified Transfer ceremony for six US service members killed in a drone strike linked to Iran during Operation Epic Fury.

The footage showed an older video of President Donald Trump without a hat, even though the president was photographed wearing a white "USA" ball cap with "45-47" on the side during the actual ceremony.

Clips broadcast on Fox News on Saturday, March 7, showed older footage of the president without the cap as anchors discussed the return of the fallen troops.



Fox News' Griff Jenkins apologizes for dignified transfer coverage

During a subsequent broadcast, Fox News correspondent Griff Jenkins acknowledged the error.

"We want to acknowledge a mistake earlier on our program during our coverage of yesterday’s dignified transfer. We inadvertently aired video from an older dignified transfer instead of the ceremony that took place yesterday," Jenkins said in a video statement.

"We deeply regret the error and extend our condolences to the service members' families. We honor the sacrifice of those six American heroes."

Jenkins is a co-host of the Fox & Friends Weekend program, which aired the incorrect footage during its coverage on Saturday.



The dignified transfer honored six American service members who were killed when an Iranian drone struck a tactical operations center at Port Shuabia in Kuwait, a logistics hub used by US forces to move equipment and supplies across the region. At least 18 other service members were wounded in the attack.

The US Department of Defense identified the six service members killed in the attack as Major Jeffrey R O'Brien, Chief Warrant Officer 3 Robert Marzan, Captain Cody A Khork, Sergeant 1st Class Noah L Tietjens, Sgt 1st Class Nicole M Amor and Sgt Declan J Coady.

All were members of the Army Reserve assigned to the 103rd Sustainment Command in Des Moines, Iowa. Officials said they were killed when a drone struck the operations center at Port Shuabia, which supports US military logistics operations throughout the region.

Trump's hat at military ceremony invites criticism

Online, many accused Fox News of deliberately using old footage of the Dignified Transfer to hide Trump's hat.



Trump's attire drew criticism from political figures and commentators who said it was inappropriate for the solemn military tradition.

The president's decision to wear his self-branded ball cap during the ceremony drew sharp criticism from Democrats and some Republicans. Among those condemning the choice was former Republican National Committee chairman Michael Steele.

"This fool has ABSOLUTELY no sense of dignity or appreciation for the moment. It is called the Dignified Transfer for a reason. Take your damn hat off!!" Steele said.



A press account associated with Gavin Newsom, the Democratic governor of California, also criticized the president’s attire in a social media response to a video of the ceremony, writing that he should "Take your hat off, you disgusting little man."



While the US military has strict rules governing headwear for service members, there are no explicit regulations for presidents attending dignified transfers. Historically, commanders-in-chief have typically appeared in formal attire during the ceremonies.

Disclaimer: This article contains remarks made by individuals and organizations on the internet. MEAWW cannot independently confirm them and does not support the claims or opinions being expressed online.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Bill Maher said America should return to 'stealing hard-working, talented immigrants from around the world and making them Americans'
3 days ago
Joe Rogan blasted the plan, calling the $100,000 monthly price tag 'crazy' and suggesting it was essentially a cash grab
4 days ago
Joe Rogan joked about how the press might have reacted and imagined how Trump could respond if the aircraft had been attacked
5 days ago
Tucker Carlson previously accused Hunter and Joe Biden of corruption and criticized Hunter's overseas business dealings
Aug 10, 2026
Bill Maher criticized Wisconsin Democrat Francesca Hong over remarks about her biracial son and her 'proximity to whiteness'
Aug 9, 2026
Megyn Kelly took particular issue with Whoopi Goldberg appearing to suggest that she understood the 'plight of working people'
Aug 7, 2026
Madeleine Carlisle exited amid major staff upheaval, as key correspondents and editors departed in cuts staff reportedly dubbed 'Black Thursday'
Aug 5, 2026
While the internet was busy searching for a political message, Torres appears to have been thinking about something considerably less complicated
Aug 4, 2026
The claim gained traction as New York City continues to debate expanding publicly-supported grocery initiatives under Mamdani
Aug 1, 2026
The Trump ally said JD Vance's ceasefire deal trapped the administration in a cycle of talks, Iranian violations ,and US retaliatory strikes
Jul 31, 2026