Girl, 5, missing after giant wave sweeps family into ‘dangerous surf’ at Laguna Beach

A mother and her two children were caught in dangerous conditions near the shoreline at Laguna Beach
A Park Ranger scans the horizon on Wednesday, June 10, 2026, on Laguna Beach, California, where a child was swept out to sea (Mindy Schauer/The Orange County Register via AP)
A Park Ranger scans the horizon on Wednesday, June 10, 2026, on Laguna Beach, California, where a child was swept out to sea (Mindy Schauer/The Orange County Register via AP)


LAGUNA BEACH, CALIFORNIA: A 5-year-old girl remained missing after a giant wave swept her and her family into the ocean at Laguna Beach despite public warnings about dangerous surf conditions.

The search intensified as rescue crews combed the shoreline and nearby waters. The tragedy also renewed attention on how quickly worsening beach conditions can overwhelm families near the water’s edge.

Search shifts to recovery mission

The incident happened around 7.30 pm Tuesday at Treasure Island Beach in Laguna Beach, where authorities said a mother and her two children were caught in dangerous conditions near the shoreline.

According to Laguna Beach Mayor Mark Orgill, the family had been walking on the sand when a large wave suddenly surged toward them.

“The family was walking on the sand” when the wave swept all three into the ocean, Orgill told CBS LA.

A lifeguard rescue boat cruises around the area where a child was swept out to sea near the Montage Resort on Wednesday, June 10, 2026, in Laguna Beach, Calif. (Mindy Schauer/The Orange County Register via AP)
A lifeguard rescue boat cruises around the area where a child was swept out to sea near the Montage Resort on Wednesday, June 10, 2026, in Laguna Beach, California (Mindy Schauer/The Orange County Register via AP)

People nearby immediately rushed into action. Bystanders managed to pull the mother and her son from the water, but the young girl disappeared in the surf.

Search crews from Laguna Beach Marine Safety, the Orange County Sheriff’s Department Harbor Patrol and the Coast Guard continued searching Wednesday morning. Aerial footage showed rescue personnel in the water around 8 am.

Orgill later told CBS LA that the operation had shifted from a rescue effort to a recovery mission.

Bystanders injured during rescue effort

The dramatic rescue also left two good Samaritans injured.

Officials said two bystanders who helped save the mother and her son were taken to a local hospital with unspecified injuries. Authorities said both remained in stable condition.

Officials have not released additional information about the missing girl or her family.

The rescue effort underscored the dangers facing both victims and those who attempt to help during severe ocean conditions.

Laguna Beach warnings preceded tragedy

Hours before the family was swept into the water, the City of Laguna Beach had already warned residents and visitors about hazardous beach conditions.

The warning was posted on Instagram as a powerful offshore storm system generated increasingly dangerous surf along the Southern California coast.

A Sheriff’s helicopter flies overhead, searching for a person off Treasure Island Beach in Laguna
(Instagram/@LagunabeachPD
A Sheriff’s helicopter flies overhead, searching for a person off Treasure Island Beach in Laguna (Instagram @LagunabeachPD)

Strong rip currents can quickly pull swimmers away from shore, and large surf creates hazardous conditions for swimmers, surfers, and anyone near the water’s edge,” the city’s post said.

Authorities said the National Weather Service had issued a Beach Hazards Statement that remains in effect through Thursday night as wave heights continue to increase.

The timing of the tragedy has drawn renewed focus to the limits of coastal safety alerts when rapidly changing ocean conditions collide with crowded beaches.

As recovery crews continued searching Wednesday, the 5-year-old girl remained missing and hazardous surf conditions were expected to persist along the coast through at least Thursday night.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

JD Vance served in the US Marine Corps from 2003 to 2007 as a combat correspondent with the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing
5 minutes ago
Preston Harp said Natalie Harp’s admiration for Donald Trump stems from their upbringing and the values their mother taught them
2 hours ago
Loomer’s strongest objection was directed at the suggestion that Harp and Trump are romantically involved
7 hours ago
The suspect was also reportedly refused service at a Dunkin’ while wearing the unusual mask
7 hours ago
English acknowledged that he had traveled to Washington with the intention of killing a government official
9 hours ago
Zimmerman rejected the suggestion that the blow happened merely as part of a struggle with security
10 hours ago
The store, described as a family-owned operation, was left dealing with the consequences after the crowd departed
12 hours ago
Disney has sued the FCC over early ABC license reviews, alleging retaliation by the Trump administration and warning that scrutiny is affecting political programming
12 hours ago
An 11-year-old boy criticized Donald Trump and referenced Jeffrey Epstein as he explained his anger toward the president in the widely shared footage
19 hours ago
'Hes with me every day even when I’m not thinking about him, he’s certainly part of my heart,' Jill Biden shared
19 hours ago