Governor Tim Walz labels latest Minneapolis ICE shooting 'sickening' following White House call

ICE agents clashed with a man near the Glam Doll Doughnuts shop on Nicollet Avenue South, and at least one fired a weapon during the struggle
Minnesota Governor Tim Walz urged the White House to end federal operations, condemning the violence as 'sickening' and demanding withdrawal (Getty Images)
Minnesota Governor Tim Walz urged the White House to end federal operations, condemning the violence as 'sickening' and demanding withdrawal (Getty Images)

This article has been updated with new details about the man shot by ICE agents 



MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA: A federal immigration enforcement operation in south Minneapolis turned violent on Saturday morning, January 24, when a Border Patrol agent reportedly fired at a man during a struggle near 26th Street and Nicollet Avenue.

The 51-year-old man shot by federal immigration officers in Minneapolis has died, a hospital record obtained by the Associated Press showed. CNN also reported that the man shot during the federal immigration enforcement operation in Minneapolis died this morning.

This marked the latest serious incident in the ongoing controversy over Immigration and Customs Enforcement activities in the Twin Cities.

The incident, which unfolded near the Glam Doll Doughnuts shop on Nicollet Avenue South, came amid sustained protests over ICE operations across Minnesota.



Video shows struggle before shots are fired

Video from the scene shared with local news outlets and community sources showed a group of federal agents engaged in a physical altercation with a man on the street before at least one agent discharged a firearm.

Multiple gunshots could be heard in the footage, and emergency responders were seen administering aid to a person lying on the ground.

According to the Department of Homeland Security, the man shot by federal agents in Minneapolis was armed with a gun, which federal agents said was recovered at the scene.



DHS confirmed the involvement of federal law enforcement in the incident and urged the public to remain calm as details continued to be confirmed.

Governor Tim Walz speaks to the White House

In response to the latest shooting, Minnesota Governor Tim Walz posted on X that he had spoken with the White House and described the continuing violence as “sickening,” calling for an end to the federal operation in Minnesota.

"I just spoke with the White House after another horrific shooting by federal agents this morning. Minnesota has had it. This is sickening", Walz wrote.



"The president must end this operation. Pull the thousands of violent, untrained officers out of Minnesota. Now", Walz added.

Investigation remains underway

Authorities have not yet released the identity of the man who was shot or provided a detailed timeline of events leading up to the shooting.

This came even as tensions over ICE tactics in Minnesota continued to peak.

A notice reading
A notice reading 'RIP Renee, murdered by ICE' is seen next to a memorial for Renee Nicole Good on January 07, 2026, in Minneapolis, Minnesota (Scott Olson/Getty Images)

Earlier this month, thousands of residents rallied in the city after an ICE agent fatally shot Renee Good, which continues to draw intense scrutiny and public outrage.

RELATED TOPICS MINNEAPOLIS ICE SHOOTING FALLOUT

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

JD Vance served in the US Marine Corps from 2003 to 2007 as a combat correspondent with the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing
3 hours ago
Preston Harp said Natalie Harp’s admiration for Donald Trump stems from their upbringing and the values their mother taught them
5 hours ago
Loomer’s strongest objection was directed at the suggestion that Harp and Trump are romantically involved
10 hours ago
The suspect was also reportedly refused service at a Dunkin’ while wearing the unusual mask
10 hours ago
English acknowledged that he had traveled to Washington with the intention of killing a government official
12 hours ago
Zimmerman rejected the suggestion that the blow happened merely as part of a struggle with security
13 hours ago
The store, described as a family-owned operation, was left dealing with the consequences after the crowd departed
15 hours ago
Disney has sued the FCC over early ABC license reviews, alleging retaliation by the Trump administration and warning that scrutiny is affecting political programming
15 hours ago
An 11-year-old boy criticized Donald Trump and referenced Jeffrey Epstein as he explained his anger toward the president in the widely shared footage
22 hours ago
'Hes with me every day even when I’m not thinking about him, he’s certainly part of my heart,' Jill Biden shared
22 hours ago