Heroic security guard killed in San Diego Islamic Center shooting hailed for stopping worse tragedy
SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA: A security guard at the Islamic Center of San Diego is being remembered for his “heroic actions” after he lost his life while trying to protect others during a shooting carried out by two teenage gunmen at the mosque on Monday, May 18.
During a press conference, San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl noted that the guard who has been identified as Amin Abdullah, a father of eight, “played a pivotal role” in keeping the attack from being “much worse.”
He later said authorities were still reviewing the security guard’s response to the attack, but added that “it’s fair to say his actions were heroic.”
“Undoubtedly, he saved lives today,” Wahl said of Abdullah, “the heroic actions of the officers and deputies are beyond belief. To run toward gunfire without asking questions is remarkable.”
Amin Abdullah remembered as ‘very nice man’
A San Diego resident, who spoke to CBS8 on the condition of anonymity, a few hours after the shooting, remembered Abdullah as a “very nice man, having a smile with everybody.”
"Every time you come (to the center), he greeted you and welcomed you,” he added, describing the security guard as a "very energetic, very strong, very professional" man who was always around the center and supporting the staff, attendees, and children.
“You could tell he was willing to do his job well," he continued. "Not only me, but my family, are sad we heard this news."
The man said his son first learned about the shooting through updates on his phone, prompting the family to rush to the mosque. They were later able to safely reunite with his grandchildren, daughter, and other relatives.
Dozens of people flooded the social media comments of Abdullah, mourning the loss of a “true hero who gave his life to protect others.”
“The nicest man you’ll ever meet,” another user said. “May Allah bless you.”
Police find suspects dead with self-inflicted gunshot wounds
The incident took place at around 11:43 am when police received reports of an active shooter. Upon arrival, the first responders found three adult men dead from gunshot wounds, according to San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl.
As officers were clearing the mosque, they received another report of gunfire just a few blocks away. On their way to the location, officers located a white BMW stopped in the middle of the roadway, with two suspects dead from what appeared to be self-inflicted gunshot wounds.
The suspects’ identities are being withheld because they are juveniles, despite police publicly identifying them.
Authorities revealed that the shooting took place just a few hours after the mother of one of the suspects contacted police to report that her son had been missing, along with multiple weapons and her vehicle.
her son was missing“She was beginning to develop a bigger picture as to what she was dealing with and was conveying that to our folks, and we were trying to put that together and get out in front of this as quickly as we could,” Wahl said.
The mom also reported discovering a note while revealing that her son was with a companion and that they were dressed in camo.