Iran delivers reply to US war proposal through Pakistan, signals talks on ending conflict

Ebrahim Rezaie, a member of the Iranian security committee, warned time was running against the US and urged Washington not to deepen the conflict
Iran's state-run Islamic Republic News Agency reported that Tehran formally sent its response via Pakistani mediation (Getty Images)
Iran's state-run Islamic Republic News Agency reported that Tehran formally sent its response via Pakistani mediation (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: Iran said on Sunday, May 10, that it has formally responded to the latest US proposal aimed at ending the conflict that began in late February, marking a new step in ongoing diplomatic efforts to halt hostilities.

According to Iranian state media, Tehran’s reply was delivered through a Pakistani mediator, though officials did not disclose details of the proposal or Iran’s response.

The development comes as both Washington and Tehran continue to exchange messages over a possible framework for ending the war, even as military tensions and domestic restrictions inside Iran remain in place.

Iranian officials have said the current phase of talks is focused on ending the broader regional conflict.

Residents look on and take pictures as flames and smoke rise from an oil storage facility struck as attacks hit the city during the U.S.–Israeli military campaign in Tehran, Iran, Saturday, March 7, 2026. (Alireza Sotakbar/ISNA via AP)
Residents look on and take pictures as flames and smoke rise from an oil storage facility struck as attacks hit the city during the US–Israeli military campaign in Tehran, Iran, Saturday, March 7, 2026 (Alireza Sotakbar/ISNA via AP)

Iran confirms response and says focused on ending war

Iran’s state-run IRNA news agency reported that Tehran’s response to the latest US draft proposal had been formally sent through Pakistani mediation.

“The Islamic Republic of Iran’s response to the latest proposed US draft aimed at ending the war was delivered today through a Pakistani mediator,” IRNA said.

The agency added that under the proposed framework, “negotiations at this stage will focus on the issue of ending the war in the region.”



Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said that engaging in talks should not be interpreted as a concession by Tehran.

“We will never bow our heads before the enemy, and if talk of dialogue or negotiation arises, it does not mean surrender or retreat,” Pezeshkian said in a post on X.

“Rather, the goal is to uphold the rights of the Iranian nation and to defend national interests with resolute strength,” he added.



Other Iranian officials also commented on the diplomatic track. Ebrahim Rezaie, a member of parliament’s security committee, said “Time is moving against the Americans,” while urging Washington to avoid actions that could deepen the conflict.

Iran’s response follows repeated statements from US officials, including President Donald Trump and Secretary of State Marco Rubio, saying they were awaiting Tehran’s formal reply on the peace proposal.

Military on alert as blackout continues inside Iran

As diplomatic contacts continue, Iranian military officials said forces remain on heightened readiness around the country’s nuclear infrastructure.

Brig Gen Akrami Nia told state media late Saturday that Iranian forces are on “full readiness” to protect nuclear sites and uranium storage facilities. 

Iran's Minister of Science, Research and Technology Hossein Simaei Sarraf, center, visits the location that was hit during U.S.-Israeli airstrikes Friday at Shahid Beheshti University in Tehran, Iran, Saturday, April 4, 2026. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)
Iran's Minister of Science, Research and Technology Hossein Simaei Sarraf, center, visits the location that was hit during US-Israeli airstrikes Friday at Shahid Beheshti University in Tehran, Iran, Saturday, April 4, 2026 (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)

“We considered it possible that they might intend to steal it through infiltration operations or heliborne operations,” Akrami Nia said, without providing further details.

Iran’s uranium stockpile remains a central issue in negotiations. The International Atomic Energy Agency has previously reported that Iran holds more than 970 pounds of uranium enriched to 60% purity, a level close to weapons-grade.

Meanwhile, internet monitoring group NetBlocks said Iran’s nationwide internet blackout has now entered its third month, surpassing 1,700 hours.

Iranian Red Crescent emergency workers use a bulldozer to clear rubble from a residential building that was hit in an earlier U.S.-Israeli strike in Tehran, Iran, Monday, March 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)
Iranian Red Crescent emergency workers use a bulldozer to clear rubble from a residential building that was hit in an earlier US-Israeli strike in Tehran, Iran, Monday, March 23, 2026 (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)

“The unprecedented measure is well into its third month with no indication of a wider restoration,” NetBlocks said.

The restrictions have remained in place since the conflict began on February 28, limiting public access to the global internet while maintaining limited domestic online services.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

The 60-day US-Iran ceasefire deadline ended without a deal on August 17, and President Trump said the next day that no talks were underway
1 day ago
The High Court has ordered the seven claimants to make the payment by August 28, with the publisher seeking substantially more
1 day ago
Donald Trump sought to reopen a diplomatic channel with North Korea despite Kim Jong Un’s hardened nuclear stance
2 days ago
Kim Yo-jong said the relationship between Trump and Kim Jong Un is 'excellent,' but she was unaware of any recent communication between them
2 days ago
Trump rejected claims that November's midterm elections influenced his approach to the conflict, saying they had 'nothing to do' with his thinking
5 days ago
A Wall Street Journal report says Iran used the diplomatic window to strengthen the IRGC, rebuild weapons capacity and prepare for wider conflict
5 days ago
Donald Trump cited cost, diplomacy with Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s Iran stance as the Pentagon reduced US participation in annual military drills
5 days ago
Iranian Army chief Amir Hatami said the reward was created after a surge in requests from Iranians seeking to join the conflict
6 days ago
Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran would decide when the strategic waterway opens or closes, rejecting Washington’s claim of control
7 days ago
Iran said the United States must pledge never to threaten Tehran again and permanently end its war with Iran and its regional allies
Aug 9, 2026