James Comey says 'I am not afraid,' expects Trump will target him again after dismissal

James Comey expects Trump to target him again after dismissal while Letitia James called the ruling a victory against baseless charges
PUBLISHED NOV 25, 2025
The White House suggested the dismissal of Comey and James cases may not be the final word (Getty Images)
The White House suggested the dismissal of Comey and James cases may not be the final word (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: Former FBI Director James Comey spoke out after the dismissal of his federal indictment and said he expects President Trump to target him again. 

In tandem, Letitia James, the New York Attorney General whose case related to this matter was also dismissed, shared her response.

James Comey response and expectations

WASHINGTON, DC - JUNE 11:  FBI Director James Comey testifies during a hearing before the House Judi
James Comey testified before the House Judiciary Committee on June 11, 2014 in Washington, DC (Alex Wong/Getty Images)

Comey celebrated the dismissal of his case in an Instagram video, calling the message behind the dismissal meaningful.

He said, “I am innocent, I am not afraid, and I believe in an independent federal judiciary. A gift from our founders that protects us from a would-be tyrant.”

In his video, Comey described the prosecution as “a prosecution based on malevolence and incompetence and a reflection of what the Department of Justice has become under Donald Trump, which is heartbreaking.”

WASHINGTON, DC - JUNE 08:  Former FBI Director James Comey immitates a gesture he said he saw Presid
James Comey imitated a gesture he said President Donald Trump made during a conversation while testifying before the Senate Intelligence Committee on June 8, 2017 in Washington, DC (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

He added, “A message has to be sent that the president of the United States cannot use the Department of Justice to target his political enemies. I don’t care what your politics are, you have to see that as fundamentally un-American and a threat to the rule of law that keeps all of us free.”

Comey further acknowledged he expects Trump to “come after me again” and said his attitude will remain unchanged despite the possibility of further legal action. He emphasized his belief in the independent judiciary as a safeguard against abuse of power. 



The White House reacted to the Comey and James case dismissals with a statement from spokesperson Abigail Jackson: “The facts of the indictments against Comey and James have not changed and this will not be the final word on this matter.”

In the original indictment, Comey had been charged with one count of giving a false statement and one count of obstruction of justice, related to his September 2020 testimony to the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Comey was the first senior government official who investigated Trump’s 2016 campaign over possible Russia ties to face federal charges. When the indictment was announced in September, Trump called Comey “one of the worst human beings this Country has ever been exposed to.”

WASHINGTON, DC - APRIL 30: U.S. President Donald Trump appears during a Cabinet meeting at the White House on April 30, 2025 in Washington, DC. Trump convened the meeting as reports released today say the U.S. economy contracted 0.3% in the first quarter of 2025, the first negative reading in three years, fueled by a massive surge in imports ahead of the administration's expected tariffs. (Photo by Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
Donald Trump appeared during a Cabinet meeting at the White House on April 30, 2025 in Washington, DC (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

Letitia James remarks on case dismissal

A federal judge dismissed Letitia James’s case, ruling that the handpicked prosecutor assigned to the matter was unconstitutional.

James responded, saying, “I am heartened by today’s victory. I remain fearless in the face of these baseless charges as I continue fighting for New Yorkers every single day. I am grateful for the prayers and support I have received from around the country.” 



Prior to her October hearing, James called the charges 'tool of revenge' but expressed faith in the justice system to clear her name.

NEW YORK, NY - JUNE 11: New York Attorney General Letitia James speaks during a press conference, Ju
Letitia James spoke during a press conference on June 11, 2019 in New York City (Drew Angerer/Getty Images)

In February 2024, her office won a civil fraud judgment against Trump and the Trump Organization, which resulted in a three-year business ban in New York.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Israel denied the claims, saying Tucker Carlson was 'politely asked routine questions' per standard procedures for travelers
7 hours ago
Mark Ruffalo said President Donald Trump cannot act alone on war and backed Representative Ro Khanna’s War Powers vote
7 hours ago
Editor Mark Guiducci reportedly barred press and social media from the Vanity Fair Oscar party amid tighter guest restrictions
8 hours ago
Melania Trump called her inaugural gown 'modern, bold, simple, and dignified,' saying it reflects decades of experience and craftsmanship
11 hours ago
The Trump-Kennedy Center canceled Le Patin Libre’s show after a toxic chemical attack and handed footage to police for investigation
11 hours ago
Eileen Gu reacts after JD Vance questions US-born athletes competing abroad
22 hours ago
Court filing says settlement fund could disburse $35 million upon approval of 40+ eligible claims
1 day ago
Alysa Liu finished with a total score of 226.79, including a season-best 150.20 in the free skate and 76.59 in the short program
1 day ago
Amber Glenn, Team USA’s first openly queer woman skater, opened up about emotional toll and online backlash after her 13th-place Olympic finish
1 day ago
Congressional candidate Clay Fuller mentioned that his daughter, Tallulah, had received detention for missing school to attend the rally
1 day ago