JD Vance dismisses 2028 tension, calls Marco Rubio 'best friend' in the Trump administration

JD Vance dismissed rivalry with Marco Rubio as Donald Trump hinted that they were the top 2028 picks, since he’s barred by the Constitution from running
Vice President JD Vance called Secretary of State Marco Rubio his best friend after President Donald Trump publicly floated their names as potential successors in the 2028 race (Getty Images)
Vice President JD Vance called Secretary of State Marco Rubio his best friend after President Donald Trump publicly floated their names as potential successors in the 2028 race (Getty Images)


WASHINGTON, DC: Vice President JD Vance on Wednesday, October 29, dismissed speculation that he and Secretary of State Marco Rubio were on a collision course ahead of the 2028 election after President Donald Trump publicly floated their names as potential successors.

“First of all, no, there’s not going to be any tension. Marco is my best friend of the administration. He and I work a lot together,” Vance told the New York Post’s 'Pod Force One'.

Vice President JD Vance speaks to supporters of President Donald Trump at an event on August 21, 2025 in Peachtree City, Georgia. Vance spoke about Trump's One Big Beautiful Bill. (Photo by Megan Varner/Getty Images)
Vice President JD Vance speaks to supporters of President Donald Trump at an event on August 21, 2025 in Peachtree City, Georgia (Megan Varner/Getty Images)

Vance says it's too 'early' to talk about the 2028 run

Vance said, “So far, I have never woken up and thought to myself, ‘How do I make myself president of the United States?’ What I wake up and think to myself is, ‘How do I do a good job as vice president?’”

While Vance insisted it’s too soon to talk about 2028, President Trump appeared to think otherwise. Speaking to reporters, Trump said a team of Vance and Rubio would be “unstoppable.”

ABU NAKHLAH, QATAR - OCTOBER 25: U.S. President Donald Trump speaks to members of the media following a meeting with Emir of Qatar Sheikh Tamim ibn Hamad Al Thani and Prime Minister of Qatar Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani aboard Air Force One during a refueling stop at Al-Udeid Air Base on October 25, 2025 in Abu Nakhlah, Qatar. Trump is traveling to Malaysia for the Association of Southeast Asian Nations summit (ASEAN), Japan, and to South Korea for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum (APEC). (Photo by Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump speaks to members of the media following a meeting with Emir of Qatar Sheikh Tamim ibn Hamad Al Thani and Prime Minister of Qatar Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani aboard Air Force One during a refueling stop at Al-Udeid Air Base on October 25, 2025 in Abu Nakhlah, Qatar (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

Vance, however, said the idea had only come up jokingly.

“The president first raised this with me probably six months or so ago during one of our private lunches,” he said. “And I mentioned to the secretary in jest, but it feels so premature, because we’re still so early.”

U.S. President Donald Trump delivers an address to the nation accompanied by U.S. Vice President JD Vance, U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio and U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth from the White House on June 21, 2025 in Washington, D.C. President Trump addressed the three Iranian nuclear facilities that were struck by the U.S. military early Sunday. (Photo by Carlos Barria - Pool/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump delivers an address to the nation accompanied by Vice President JD Vance, Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth from the White House on June 21, 2025 in Washington, DC (Carlos Barria - Pool/Getty Images)

Vance says let's get through 'the next couple of years'

Asked about Trump’s reluctance to publicly endorse a 2028 successor, Vance laughed off the remark.

“I’m going to work as hard as I can to make the president successful over the next three years and three months,” he said.

“If we get to a point where something else is on offer, let’s handle it then. But let’s at least get through the next couple of years,” he concluded.

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks to journalists aboard Air Force One en route to South Korea on October 29, 2025, in Japan. (Photo by Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump speaks to journalists aboard Air Force One en route to South Korea on October 29, 2025, in Japan (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

Trump rejects speculations about 2028 race

Trump, meanwhile, shot down suggestions from supporters that he could run for president in 2028

Speaking to reporters aboard Air Force One while heading to South Korea on Wednesday, Donald Trump said, "It’s a very interesting thing. I have the best numbers for any president in many years."



“And I would say that, if you read it, it’s pretty clear. I’m not allowed to run. It’s too bad,” the Republican leader added. “But we have a lot of great people.”

For months, Trump has seemingly been evading the 2028 question, even reportedly selling and handing out Trump 2028 merch.

Speaker of the House Mike Johnson (R-LA) (R) talks to reporters with (L-R) Majority Whip Tom Emmer (R-MN), Rep. August Pfluger (R-TX), Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R-LA), Rep. Harriet Hageman (R-WY) and members of the Republican Study Committee during a news conference on the 28th day of the federal government shutdown at the U.S. Capitol on October 28, 2025 in Washington, DC. While keeping the House of Representatives out of session and away from Washington, Republican leaders blamed Democratic lawmakers for the continued federal government shutdown. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
Speaker of the House Mike Johnson (R-LA) talks to reporters with (L-R) Majority Whip Tom Emmer (R-MN), Rep August Pfluger (R-TX), Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R-LA), Rep Harriet Hageman (R-WY) and members of the Republican Study Committee during a news conference on the 28th day of the federal government shutdown at the US Capitol on October 28, 2025 in Washington, DC (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

On Tuesday, House Speaker Mike Johnson poured cold water on growing chatter about the possibility of President Donald Trump seeking a third term in office, saying to reporters that he sees no realistic path to amending the US Constitution to allow it.

“Well, there is the 22nd Amendment,” Johnson said when asked whether Trump could pursue another term.

The amendment clearly states, “No person shall be elected to the office of the president more than twice.”

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

President Trump and First Lady Melania Trump were watching and cheering as Kyle Kirkwood went on to take the checkered flag
7 minutes ago
Melania Trump's father, Viktor Knavs, worked as a car salesman and dealer, making automobiles a natural part of her childhood
43 minutes ago
The president said Penske had come to Washington 211 times while trying to get the race off the ground
2 hours ago
Footage recorded on August 18 near 32nd Street and Seventh Avenue went viral, prompting theories about underground work or a possible scam
4 hours ago
Earlier, when a reporter asked about her relationship status, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez responded that she does not comment on her private life
5 hours ago
Cleared for an emergency landing, Faith Tenkley realized the landing gear was broken, and the plane was still carrying a heavy fuel load
12 hours ago
Trump said the Freedom 250 Grand Prix will be 'one of the most unforgettable racing events the world has ever seen'
13 hours ago
Kai Trump made quick picks on UFC, Taco Bell, Mar-a-Lago, Air Force One and aliens while answering Katie Pavlich’s playful questions
15 hours ago
Freedom 250 organized the event for America’s 250th anniversary, bringing together male and female high school athletes from every state and territory
16 hours ago
Roommates said Jessica Bowie wore a niqab and largely kept to herself, often retreating to her bedroom after returning home
23 hours ago