Jeanine Pirro’s troubles with Trump take bizarre turn as DC event is abruptly canceled
WASHINGTON, DC: A public event featuring US Attorney for the District of Columbia Jeanine Pirro was abruptly canceled Monday night, August 17, adding a fresh twist to the growing pressure surrounding the Trump-appointed prosecutor after President Donald Trump publicly criticized her handling of the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool case.
The event, titled “Violent Crime in DC: What’s Worked and What’s Next,” was expected to feature Pirro and interim DC Police Chief Jeffery Carroll. It had previously been shelved in June before being scheduled again and then abruptly canceled.
Organizers, the DC Criminal Justice Coordinating Council, did not provide a reason for the latest cancellation. The council said it had no additional information to share and was focused on determining the best approach for future public engagement.
Pirro faces pressure after Trump clash
The cancellation comes as Pirro faces an unusually public dispute with Trump over her decision to drop charges against former Olympic canoeist David Hearn in the Reflecting Pool case.
Trump: I am very disappointed with Jeanine Pirro. She folded like an umbrella. pic.twitter.com/nfiqTAr8Nm
— Acyn (@Acyn) August 3, 2026
Pirro’s office initially pursued a felony case against Hearn, who was accused of damaging the newly renovated pool. Prosecutors later moved to dismiss the case after receiving additional evidence indicating that the damage was caused by a flawed installation rather than vandalism.
Trump sharply criticized Pirro after the decision, saying he was “really disappointed” and that she had “folded like an umbrella.” He also publicly questioned the decision to abandon the prosecution.
The White House has since pushed the Justice Department to explore whether new charges connected to the Reflecting Pool damage could be brought.
Cancelled crime forum raises questions
The latest cancellation has drawn attention because of its timing and the subject of the planned event.
The discussion was supposed to focus on violent crime in Washington, with Pirro and Carroll expected to address crime trends and what authorities believe has worked in the capital.
Activist group Free DC had also been scheduled to participate. Its co-founder Alex Dodds criticized the cancellation, saying it appeared officials did not want to hear directly from Washington residents.
The event also comes against the backdrop of a DC inspector general report that found what it described as a prolonged breakdown in police crime-reporting oversight, including outdated policies and weak controls over crime data.
There is no evidence in the available reporting that Trump or the White House ordered the event canceled.
Pirro seeks new footing amid scrutiny
The cancellation follows other developments that have kept Pirro in the spotlight.
Her office recently pursued charges against Melissa Farris, who was accused of defacing the World War II Memorial with spray paint and pouring a foaming substance into its fountain. A federal magistrate judge, however, rejected prosecutors’ request to hold Farris without bail pending trial.
Meanwhile, Attorney General Todd Blanche has publicly defended Pirro following Trump’s criticism, saying it would be unfair to judge her performance based on one case.
Pirro’s handling of the Reflecting Pool prosecution remains under scrutiny as Trump continues to insist the site was vandalized, while prosecutors have said newly obtained evidence pointed to construction problems instead.