Karoline Leavitt says Trump admin isn't 'backing down' on 'Alligator Alcatraz' after judge orders closure

"WE'RE NOT BACKING DOWN!" - @PressSec @karolineleavitt responds when asked about Alligator Alcatraz pic.twitter.com/MYZ6CPNgX1
— Real America's Voice (RAV) (@RealAmVoice) August 28, 2025
WASHINGTON, DC: White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said on Tuesday, August 26, that the Donald Trump administration is "not backing down" and still plans to use the "Alligator Alcatraz" migrant detention facility despite a judge ordering closure last week.
Meanwhile, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has already taken steps to move detainees somewhere else in compliance with the judge's order.
Karoline Leavitt says Trump administration 'will continue to fight' the ruling
During the press briefing on Tuesday, a reporter asked Karoline Leavitt, "Last week, a judge on an environmental concerns lawsuit said that the administration has 60 days to wind down operations there. The administration has not been shy and fighting back against what it calls activist judges. But why is it backing down this time?"
The White House press secretary replied, "We're not backing down. We've always said that we are going to continue to fight in the court of law for what's right because we know that what this administration is doing with respect to all policy, but also immigration policy, is above the books, and we're abiding by our nation's immigration laws."

"We think it's despicable that an activist judge has inserted themselves in this migrant detention facility to the point where DHS is now having to relocate these illegal immigrants to other detention facilities around the country," Leavitt added.
She further said, "That is an unnecessary burden on the Department of Homeland Security and these agents who should be removing these criminals from our community. That's what the American people elected this president to do."
WASTE! FRAUD! ABUSE!
— Christopher Webb (@cwebbonline) August 28, 2025
Send the $400 million bill to Ron DeSantis and Donald Trump.
🚨Alligator Alcatraz will be empty within days, according to an email obtained by ABC News. pic.twitter.com/BhlSGUWMpz
"Alligator Alcatraz," which opened earlier in 2025 at the direction of Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, is surrounded by natural defenses, including alligators, pythons, and dense swampland in the Florida Everglades.
The judge's order read, "No later than sixty (60) days from the date of this order, and once the population attrition allows for safe implementation of this Order 40 the Defendants shall remove 1) the temporary fencing installed by Defendants to allow Tribe members access to the site consistent with the access they enjoyed before the erection of the detention camp; 2) the Sunbelt lighting fixtures and any additional lighting installed for the use of the property as a detention facility; and 3) all generators, gas, sewage, and other waste and waste receptacles that were installed to support this project."
This is Trump's "Alligator Alcatraz." I hope people see this for what it is — which is a cruel and inhumane gimmick concocted by a weak, sad, and sadistic human being. The heat will be excruciating. Older folks and those w/pre-existing conditions will die. pic.twitter.com/4aYuXwCBca
— Bill Madden (@maddenifico) July 1, 2025
Leavitt concluded, saying, "We're going to comply with court orders, but we're also going to fight back on them on the merits of the law. And DHS is in compliance while we disagree with this decision, and we'll continue to fight it in court."
Internet sides with Karoline Leavitt's remarks on 'Alligator Alcatraz' ruling
Several internet users sided with Karoline Leavitt as she said that the Trump administration is "not backing down" and still plans to use "Alligator Alcatraz" despite a judge ordering its closure.

An X (formerly Twitter) wrote, "Start arresting the corrupt, criminal judges. They are interfering with the will of the voters," while one added, "This wouldn't be happening if Congress did their job and removed rouge judges. At this point, I blame Congress."
A person stated, "Send that judge there as a resident," whereas someone else mentioned, "Shut these wacko unconstitutional judges down now."
"What the hell do they want? Where are they to put illegals waiting for deportations when some other jacka** judge puts a hold on deportations. Let me guess, release these criminals back into the country. The democrat way: the heck with citizens, just side with criminals. Pathetic," another tweet read.
Start arresting the corrupt, criminal judges. They are interfering with the will of the voters
— LeRouge (@LeRougeSamurai1) August 29, 2025
This wouldn't be happening if Congress did their job and removed rouge judges. At this point, I blame Congress.
— Gromm98 (@grommett1998) August 29, 2025
What the hell do they want? Where are they to put illegals waiting for deportations when some other jackass judge puts a hold on deportations. Let me guess, release these criminals back into the country. The democrat way: the heck with citizens, just side with criminals. Pathetic
— ELep (@LepageEva62517) August 29, 2025
This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.