Kash Patel rolls out nationwide contest to crown FBI’s fittest male and female agents
WASHINGTON, DC: Kash Patel’s FBI is rolling out a new nationwide competition to find the single fittest male and female agents in the bureau.
The federal law enforcement agency is launching what amounts to a high-pressure, pageant-style test of strength, endurance, and mental toughness, with one man and one woman eventually walking away with bragging rights as the FBI’s top physical performers, according to Politico.
SCOOP: Kash Patel’s FBI is planning a new competition to find the fittest agents of the bureau. Quantico will hold the contest in early July for all of its 56 field offices, which are encouraged to nominate a male and female agent, an FBI spox told me. https://t.co/pL1fJFvYLE pic.twitter.com/kkf2ngaO34
— Daniel Lippman (@dlippman) May 22, 2026
Kash Patel faces scrutiny amid FBI fitness push
The two-day event is scheduled for early July at the FBI Training Academy in Quantico, Virginia.
An FBI spokesperson confirmed the summer competition and said all 56 field offices across the country are being encouraged to send their strongest contenders. Each office will nominate one male and one female agent to compete on the national stage.
But getting to Quantico won’t be simple. Before earning a place in the final showdown, agents must first make it through qualifying rounds in their own field offices.
The FBI is presenting the multi-day event as part morale booster and part performance challenge, with an emphasis on maintaining elite physical readiness while building stronger ties across the agency.
“Personal fitness is key for FBI employees, and this initiative provides a new and creative team-building experience at the FBI's Training Academy,” an FBI spokesperson said in a statement to the Daily Mail.
Kash Patel’s FBI fitness contest sparks fresh scrutiny
The launch comes as Patel continues to deal with scrutiny surrounding allegations tied to his personal conduct. In April, an Atlantic report alleged “excessive drinking and unexplained absences.”
According to the report, Patel’s late-night socializing allegedly forced aides to move morning meetings. It also claimed that on one occasion, his security detail had to request breaching equipment after they were unable to get a response from behind a locked door.
Earlier this year, a video showed Patel chugging a beer alongside the US men’s Olympic hockey team in Milan. NBC News reported that President Trump was unhappy with the locker-room celebration.
CBS has sought comment on whether this video circulating online is real. It appears to show FBI Director Kash Patel chugging a beer in the locker room with the men’s USA hockey team. His spokesman previously told us the trip was for government business, and not personal. pic.twitter.com/yWAmUufrVS
— Sarah N. Lynch (@SarahNLynch) February 23, 2026
Patel has vehemently rejected the allegations and has since filed a $250 million defamation lawsuit against The Atlantic.
Trump revives national fitness push in schools
The competition also comes as physical fitness has become a recurring theme in Trump’s agenda, especially in schools.
“I work out so much. Like, about one minute a day, max. If I'm lucky,” Trump joked while speaking alongside Cabinet officials and students.
President Trump: "I work out so much. Like, about one minute a day, max. If I'm lucky." pic.twitter.com/jsLn4jxKHs
— CSPAN (@cspan) May 5, 2026
Trump also traded jokes with Health Secretary Robert F Kennedy Jr, who recounted how his father, Robert F Kennedy, once completed a 50-mile hike.
RFK Jr said it would be a “breeze” for the golf-loving president to attempt the same because “this guy walks nine miles a day on a golf course every weekend.” “When I'm not using the cart,” Trump quipped.
RFK Jr: "There's a lot of people who could probably do a 50-mile hike."
— The Bulwark (@BulwarkOnline) May 5, 2026
Trump: "What about me? You didn't mention my name."
RFK Jr: "This guy walks nine miles a day on a golf course every weekend, so he could do it in a breeze." pic.twitter.com/j3z5hxAwA3
Last year, Trump signed an order restoring the President’s Council on Sports, Fitness, and Nutrition and bringing back the Presidential Fitness Test.
Tuesday’s move clears the way for schools across the country to begin awarding the updated fitness prize to students. The original national fitness test ran from the late 1950s until 2013, when Barack Obama replaced it with a different assessment.
The classic format measured students through a one-mile run or walk, maximum sit-ups in 60 seconds, push-ups or pull-ups to failure, a shuttle run, and stretching.