Kristi Noem says Trump and Stephen Miller 'directed' all her decisions in office: report

A source said officers involved in the Alex Pretti shooting quickly got lawyers, leaving little info, and officials thought he showed a gun
PUBLISHED JAN 28, 2026
Kristi Noem said that everything she had done was at the direction of the President Donald Trump and Stephen Miller (Getty Images)
Kristi Noem said that everything she had done was at the direction of the President Donald Trump and Stephen Miller (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem says her actions in office followed the direction of President Donald Trump and adviser Stephen Miller, even as the Trump administration faces mounting criticism over its handling of the fatal shooting of Alex Pretti.

For context, Noem and other officials claimed Pretti planned to attack federal agents before the encounter, arguing that the fact he was carrying a weapon showed he meant to do harm, a claim that has been widely challenged by video evidence and eyewitness accounts.

Inside the Alex Pretti ‘massacre’ narrative

A picture sits at a memorial to Alex Pretti on January 25, 2026 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Pretti, an ICU nurse at a VA medical center, died on January 24 after being shot multiple times during a brief altercation with border patrol agents in the Eat Street district of Minneapolis. (Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)
A picture sits at a memorial to Alex Pretti on January 25, 2026 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Pretti, an ICU nurse at a VA medical center, died on January 24 after being shot multiple times during a brief altercation with border patrol agents in the Eat Street district of Minneapolis (Scott Olson/Getty Images)

Kristi Noem told someone who shared her comments with Axios, “Everything I've done, I've done at the direction of the president and Stephen.”

Shortly after Alex Pretti was fatally shot by federal agents in Minneapolis on Saturday morning, January 24, officials in Washington realized they could face serious problems but had limited information.

One source familiar with the situation said the officers directly involved in the shooting “all shut up and got lawyers real quick so there wasn't a lot of information.” A report from border agents was later provided to the White House, and officials there understood from it that Pretti had displayed a gun.

Secretary of Homeland Security Kristi Noem speaks during a news conference in the National Response Coordination Center at the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) headquarters on January 24, 2026 in Washington, DC. Federal immigration agents shot and killed another U.S. citizen on Saturday morning, later identified as Alex Pretti, during operations in Minneapolis, Minnesota. (Al Drago/Getty Images)
Secretary of Homeland Security Kristi Noem speaks during a news conference in the National Response Coordination Center at the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) headquarters on January 24, 2026 in Washington, DC  (Al Drago/Getty Images)

According to a source involved in preparing the press statement, Stephen Miller “heard 'gun' and knew what the narrative would be: Pretti came to 'massacre' cops.”

White House Deputy Chief of Staff Stephen Miller talks to reporters outside the West Wing on March 19, 2025 in Washington, DC. Miller repeated the Trump Administration's position that the
White House Deputy Chief of Staff Stephen Miller talks to reporters outside the West Wing on March 19, 2025 in Washington, DC (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

Miller later told Axios that any early comments from the White House were based on the information “sent to the White House through CBP.” DHS published its statement on X at 12:31 pm, with some White House officials having approved it and others not, which caused frustration.

Another source said, “Others within the White House attempted to clean up the DHS statement prior to it being sent, but it had already been disseminated.” Two sources said Miller and Noem’s top adviser, Corey Lewandowski, kept President Trump informed about the statement.

White House points finger at Gregory Bovino

Minutes after the DHS statement, Miller posted on X calling Alex Pretti “an assassin,” which a source said was also based on an early report from Customs and Border Patrol. Noem then used the same language at a news conference, as did the Border Patrol commander overseeing operations in the Twin Cities, Greg Bovino.



A White House source said “Bovino should be blamed” for the misleading information about Pretti, “not Stephen,” adding that Bovino was the one who provided Washington with details about the shooting.

During her news conference, Noem also wrongly suggested Pretti was “brandishing” his weapon, even though videos showed he never reached for it and had already been disarmed before he was shot.

Border Patrol Commander Gregory Bovino speaks during a press conference at the Bishop Henry Whipple Federal on January 22, 2026 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Bovino, joined by ICE Executive Associate Director of Enforcement and Removal Operations Marcos Charles, addressed ongoing immigration enforcement operations in the state. The Trump administration has sent a reported 3,000 federal plus federal agents into the area, with more on the way, as they make a push to arrest undocumented immigrants in the region. (Photo by Stephen Maturen/Getty Images)
Border Patrol Commander Gregory Bovino speaks during a press conference at the Bishop Henry Whipple Federal on January 22, 2026 in Minneapolis, Minnesota (Stephen Maturen/Getty Images)

As more bystander videos contradicted the official account over the weekend, President Donald Trump became upset by what he saw on television and social media and decided to make changes to the Minnesota operation. On Monday, January 26, he sent border czar Tom Homan, a critic of the aggressive tactics pushed by Miller, to take charge.

Meanwhile, Miller said the Minnesota operation did not follow guidelines set by the White House after Renee Good’s death.

He told Axios, “The White House provided clear guidance to DHS that the extra personnel that had been sent to Minnesota for force protection should be used for conducting fugitive operations to create a physical barrier between the arrest teams and the disruptors,” adding, “We are evaluating why the CBP team may not have been following that protocol.”

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Mamdani described the hike as a backup plan if state officials declined to raise taxes on wealthy residents or corporations to generate more revenue
12 minutes ago
Vice President JD Vance touted wage gains, lower crime and border security, urging voters to back continued Republican leadership
52 minutes ago
Amy Klobuchar launched her Minnesota governor bid after federal immigration enforcement protests and deaths of Renee Good and Alex Pretti
1 hour ago
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez stumbled on Taiwan policy, and Vice President JD Vance called the exchange 'embarrassing'
1 hour ago
JD Vance said recent talks with Iranian officials had gone well overall, but stressed that Iran had not yet agreed to all of Donald Trump’s red lines
1 hour ago
Vice President JD Vance said the administration will not back down and will be 'smart' in enforcing immigration laws despite city resistance
2 hours ago
The administration said it was open to good faith talks to end the shutdown but would not compromise on enforcing immigration laws
3 hours ago
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez misstated Venezuela’s location below the equator, and JD Vance said it showed she was repeating lines she did not understand
3 hours ago
The Department of Homeland Security denied NBC News claims, saying the C-130 never left the search and calling the report politicized
3 hours ago
Ken Paxton attacked John Cornyn’s fifth-term bid and accused him of falsely claiming loyalty to Donald Trump
4 hours ago