‘Like nothing happened’: Tourists flock to White House day after deadly shooting

Tourists said the White House felt normal less than a day after deadly shooting
 A deadly gun attack near the White House prompted an emergency response (Andrew Leyden/Getty Images)
A deadly gun attack near the White House prompted an emergency response (Andrew Leyden/Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: Tourists returned to the White House after a gunman opened fire near a security checkpoint, with many visitors insisting the area still felt “calm” and “normal” even as police tape, armed officers, blood stains and a bullet hole remained visible around the complex.

Crowds gathered outside the White House despite the heavy security presence following Saturday night’s shooting. Visitors continued taking photos near The People’s House: A White House Experience museum, where a shattered window with a bullet hole could still be seen.

Visitors say atmosphere felt normal

Reuters interviewed tourists visiting the White House on Sunday, May 24, many of whom appeared unfazed by the visible aftermath of the shooting that left one bystander hospitalized and the suspect dead.

“Apart from the shooting, yes, it feels nice, it feels calm, like nothing happened yesterday,” one man told the outlet. “Everything is as normal, as it is expected.”

Evidence markers are seen on a crime scene after police responded to reports of shots fired near the White House, Saturday, May 23, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
Evidence markers are seen on a crime scene after police responded to reports of shots fired near the White House, Saturday, May 23,  in Washington (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

The comments came as additional fencing, police tape and armed Secret Service officers surrounded the area following the attack.

Another family visiting the US for the first time said they still wanted the White House to be their first stop despite the violence that unfolded nearby just hours earlier.

“We wanted to start with seeing the White House because it’s so epic and an amazing place,” a family member said.

The emotional disconnect between the calm mood among tourists and the physical signs left behind by the shooting was visible throughout the area Sunday, with visitors walking past blood stains on the footpath while continuing sightseeing activities around the White House grounds.

Shooting aftermath remains visible

The suspect was identified as 21-year old Maryland man Nasire Best, who had previously been barred from returning to the White House after an earlier arrest for entering a restricted area.

Best approached a security checkpoint Saturday evening and began firing at officers before he was shot by Secret Service agents. He later died in hospital.

WASHINGTON, DC - MAY 23, 2026: Emergency teams work the scene after multiple rapid-fire gunshots ring out near the White House on May 23, 2026 in Washington, DC. President Trump was reportedly inside the White House working on a peace deal with Iran. (Photo by Andrew Leyden/Getty Images)
Emergency teams work the scene after multiple rapid-fire gunshots ring out near the White House on May 23, 2026 in Washington, DC. President Trump was reportedly inside the White House working on a peace deal with Iran (Andrew Leyden/Getty Images)

A bystander struck by gunfire during the incident remained in serious but stable condition.

Secret Service  Director Sean Curran defended the agency’s response in a statement issued after the shooting.

His officers, Curran said, saved lives through their “decisive response”.

Even with the visible security crackdown and evidence from the attack still present, tourists continued lining up near the White House and taking photos outside the historic site, with many describing the atmosphere as unexpectedly peaceful despite the violence that had unfolded there hours earlier.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Todd Blanche also expressed regret over the lack of an update, acknowledging how heartbreaking the case has been
11 hours ago
Brad Cooper visited six countries during a 10-day Middle East tour, met over 50,000 US service members and praised the Lincoln Carrier Strike Group
15 hours ago
Joey Jones also questioned what older veterans might think when hearing younger service members complain about ordinary hardships while deployed
19 hours ago
The controversy began after a sailor's relative alleged that crew lacked care packages and female sailors ran short of hygiene products
21 hours ago
Trump continued joking about the impromptu audition, telling Alexis that he had always liked her
22 hours ago
Journalists who remained aboard Air Force One had objected to the way the operation was handled
1 day ago
Major Crimes and Crime Scene divisions led the investigation as police sought a motive and suspects, with no arrests announced
1 day ago
Camron Harris, 19, faces eight felony warrants, including malicious wounding and firearm charges, and is being held without bond
1 day ago
The USS Abraham Lincoln has faced scrutiny over its prolonged deployment, with sailors and families raising concerns about conditions aboard the carrier
1 day ago
The fundraiser was launched by Wisconsin resident Brandee Mulligan to help the couple cover personal expenses, including travel and accommodation
1 day ago