National counterterrorism director Joseph Kent quits, calls Iran war 'manufactured'

Director Kent quits immediately, says no imminent threat and blames misinformation behind Iran war
Nominated by Donald Trump and confirmed just last summer, Joseph Kent has resigned from his role at the NCTC, marking a public break with the president (x/@joekent16jan19)
Nominated by Donald Trump and confirmed just last summer, Joseph Kent has resigned from his role at the NCTC, marking a public break with the president (x/@joekent16jan19)

WASHINGTON, DC: Joseph Kent, Director of the National Counterterrorism Center, resigned from his post effective Tuesday, March 17, citing disagreements with the administration’s handling of the ongoing conflict in Iran.

In a resignation letter, Kent said he could no longer support the military campaign “in good conscience.”

Kent, who was nominated by President Donald Trump in February 2025 and confirmed by the Senate on July 30, wrote that he does not believe Iran poses an imminent threat to the United States.



He raised concerns about the rationale behind the military action and questioned the intelligence and policy considerations guiding the operation.

Resignation cites pressure from foreign lobbies

In his letter, Kent alleged that external political and media pressures influenced the administration’s decision-making on Iran.

He said certain narratives had shaped internal assessments and contributed to support for military escalation. 

A man looks at the ruins of a building after an Iranian missile strike on June 19, 2025 in Holon, Israel. Iran launched a retaliatory missile strike on Israel starting late on June 13, after a series of Israeli airstrikes earlier in the day targeted Iranian military and nuclear sites, as well as top military officials. (Photo by Amir Levy/Getty Images)
Director Kent’s resignation letter explicitly identifies a 'coordinated echo chamber' of foreign influence as the true catalyst for the current war (Photo by Amir Levy/Getty Images)

Kent also referenced concerns about the broader strategic framing of the conflict, comparing it to previous US military engagements in the Middle East.

He argued that policymakers should reassess the factors driving the current approach.

The former director noted that earlier policy positions had emphasized caution in entering extended overseas conflicts and said the current course represents a shift from that stance.

War described as trap for America

Kent, a combat veteran, highlighted the potential human and financial costs of continued military operations. He said the United States should carefully evaluate the long-term impact of the conflict and its implications for national interests.

(x/@NCTCKent)
Drawing on his experience from 11 combat tours, Kent argues that the current operation is a manufactured mistake that 'serves no benefit to the American people' (x/@NCTCKent)

In his resignation, he urged leadership to reconsider the trajectory of the war and assess whether continued engagement aligns with broader strategic goals.

Kent’s departure marks a high-level exit from the national security apparatus since the start of hostilities on February 26.

Administration maintains focus on security

The White House has not announced a replacement for Kent. Administration officials have continued to emphasize that military operations are aimed at addressing security concerns and maintaining regional stability.

(x/@NCTCKent)
Despite the NCTC vacancy, the White House continues to coordinate the war effort, ignoring Kent’s calls to 'reverse course' from Washington (x/@NCTCKent)

The resignation comes as the administration manages multiple developments, including ongoing military operations and domestic policy matters. Chief of Staff Susie Wiles continues to oversee White House coordination.

Kent’s exit adds to ongoing policy debates within Washington over the scope and direction of the current conflict.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Raskin’s remarks reflect a pattern of aggressive Democratic rhetoric aimed at portraying Trump’s political network as dangerous
28 minutes ago
Donald Trump reportedly called John Thune after Elizabeth MacDonough blocked the ballroom funding vote under Senate rules
1 hour ago
The UFC boss revealed this week that what was supposed to be an elegant evening at the newly reopened Rose Garden quickly turned into a bug-filled reality check
1 hour ago
Donald Trump joked that Mark Cuban’s endorsement was a 'mistake,' prompting laughter from the audience
2 hours ago
Michelle argued that widening inequality and declining economic stability have left many Americans feeling abandoned regardless of race or geography
2 hours ago
Arab leaders urged the White House to stand down its forces, signaling that active backchannel diplomatic talks were underway
10 hours ago
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth demanded voters oust the libertarian incumbent for abandoning the conservative movement during crucial Capitol votes
11 hours ago
'We can't set up a multi-million dollar ATM at Mar-a-Lago for people who've committed crimes. It just isn't the way we are', Comey said
11 hours ago
Iran reportedly submits revised 14-point peace plan to Pakistani mediators after Trump warning
13 hours ago
Pentagon defends Hegseth’s personal campaign role and denies politicizing the military
14 hours ago